Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Princo 700mb "High Speed" CDRW

Burn baby burn!

Princo 700mb "High Speed" CDRW

Postby Action Jackson on Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:54 am

While doing some Christmas shopping, I stumbled across some Princo 800min/700mb 4-12x CDRW's. Yes they do say 800min on the cover jacket insert. [How I wish!].

This in In reference to my previous thread Need "good" 700mb RW's. Why are there so many bloody separate posts on the same topic including mine? Sorry 'bout that.

Anyways, here's the ATIP:

Nero CD Speed : Nada
SmartBURN CD Analyzer : Zilch
Nero "Shift" Refresh Trick : Manufacturer - Digital Storage Technology Co. Ltd. 79:57.74 703 MB.

That's all folks. These must be very new media?

Here are my results using it on a Litey 52/24/52 for an audio cd, and FYI, 10x is the highest speed Nero would let me burn at. The other listed speeds are 8x and 4x. The source were audio tracks ripped into into .wav's from Feurio!, Nero and Exact Audio Copy. And it was a DAO/96 burn.

18 songs 81:06.45 min
10x overburn - Neroscan disc shows too many errors and I could hear them too so the burn was no good.

8x overburn - even though Nero reported that the LiteON failed to burn at the end it was not bad. Nero CD Speed surface scan showed Good: 99.59 %, Damaged: 0.41 %, Unreadable: 0.00 %.

4x overburn - surprise! Good: 87.98 %, Damaged: 6.58 %, Unreadable: 5.45 %. It was actually worse to burn slower! [Note: for this experiment, I reinstalled Nero].

17 songs 77.54.21 min [same compilation but I took out one song]

10x - had a couple of errors, couldn't really hear them but I didn't scrutinize that closely.

8x - perfect burn.

It should be noted that my system froze completely twice during burning. Once when I tried to access my "Control Panel", then when I tried to change the channel on my TV Tuner. I did recently defrag my HD so I don't know if that had something to do with it.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby EdT on Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:27 am

Princo cdr is the best stuff I ever used, they work on all DVD players and are the least expensive when it comes to cdr media, never had a coaster with them as compared to more expensive brand names which get 5% error per spindle, that is by itself saying something. Two thumbs up for Princo !
EdT
Buffer Underrun

Postby jjones on Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:04 pm

It seems like Princo CD-RW's work OK when you are not overburning them. I thought most of their CDR's were made by CMC.

Anybody else have experiences with other HS CD-RW, e.g. Memorex, Jenssen, Imation, Verbatim, E-Pro?
jjones
CD-RW Thug

Postby EdT on Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:52 pm

I thought most of their CDR's were made by CMC

Princo makes their own cdrs and they currently being sued by Phillips for using their dye formula. It is the only cdrs along with Giga Storage I know of that will play on older Sony DVD players.
EdT
Buffer Underrun

Postby jjones on Thu Nov 28, 2002 1:19 pm

Princo makes their own cdrs and they currently being sued by Phillips for using their dye formula. It is the only cdrs along with Giga Storage I know of that will play on older Sony DVD players.[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. How are their quality in terms of errors, etc.?
jjones
CD-RW Thug

Postby jase on Thu Nov 28, 2002 2:01 pm

EdT wrote:I thought most of their CDR's were made by CMC

Princo makes their own cdrs and they currently being sued by Phillips for using their dye formula. It is the only cdrs along with Giga Storage I know of that will play on older Sony DVD players.

Not completely true. There are the Postech type 1/8 and Vivastar type 1 media as well. Postech are another Taiwanese company who are being sued by Philips currently, althought their media does pop up from time to time, Vivastar went bust and I think the name was bought by Ritek so those discs no longer exist, although a small amount of Vivastar media was made by Doremi Media of Korea, and AIUI these discs are still being produced in small quantities.

As for Digital Storage Technology, their CDR media is pretty decent in my experience. They aren't a new company, just a small one, also based in Taiwan. I didn't realise they made CDRWs as well!
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby EdT on Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:42 pm

Thanks for the clarification. How are their quality in terms of errors, etc.?

I have used several dozen Princo spindles of 25 and not one had any errors compared to like 5% errors on a spool of Maxwell and Ritek cdrs. They are a pleasure to use knowing that I won't have a coaster at the end of the burn.
EdT
Buffer Underrun

Postby cd pirate on Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:20 pm

first of all, Action Jackson is talking about cdrw! not cdrs! also, digital storage technology is crap. it almost beats cmc's crappyness.

if you want good relaible cdrw's you should only use verbatim(mitsubishi chemicals) and ricoh. these are the highest quality cdrw's you can get. :)
cd pirate
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Nov 29, 2002 3:02 am

jase wrote:As for Digital Storage Technology, their CDR media is pretty decent in my experience. They aren't a new company, just a small one, also based in Taiwan. I didn't realise they made CDRWs as well!

the CDRW disc i received with my 40x plextor drive was Digital Storage.

or at least i think so. it is a stange disc. Nero (medium info) reports Digital Storage Technology, Nero InfoTool reports Richo, Nero CDSpeed reports "unknown" CDRIdentifier reports "Disc ID not allowed", PlexTools reports Richo!

so who made the damn thing??? :o
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby jase on Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:21 am

I would trust CDR Identifier to be honest dodecahedron. The media is probably ATIP 972700, which is a generic ATIP that was supposed to be used for pre-release unlicenced media for testing, but is used by many smaller/cheaper manufacturers who "get around" Philips' licencing. DST were one of the first companies to be guilty of this, but they are by no means the only ones.

cd pirate, there were a few batches of DST media that were crap, because for some reason DST were using phalocyanine type 6 dye with a type 0 (cyanine) stamper. If you had an unpicky recorder (TEAC, LiteOn etc) these discs would write well, but if it was a fussy one (Yamaha and Plex in particular IIRC) they would play merry hell with your drive. Later DST media doesn't have this issue.

Basically if the media has an ATIP by Multi-Media Masters and Machinery (MMM&M or 4M), Plasmon or 972700, then it could be made by just about anybody. These programs are just making best guesses with 972700.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:49 am

right you are, jase!
CDRIdentifier wrote:ATIP: 97m 27s 00f
Disc Manufacturer: Disc ID not allowed
Reflective layer: Phase change
Media type: CD-ReWritable
Recording Speeds: min. 4X - max. 8X
nominal Capacity: 651.86MB (74m 12s 00f / LBA: 333750)

by the way, the other utils (InfoTool, CDSpeed, PlexTools) report 4x-10x recording speed vs. 8x from CDRIdentifier!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives