Home News Reviews Forums Shop

oops - have i screwed my 24102B?

Burn baby burn!

oops - have i screwed my 24102B?

Postby djmatt on Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:45 am

Hi

I've got two Lite-On drives..the 24102B CDRW and the 165H DVD ROM. I'm using win2k; tried to use RPCED.EXE on the DVD drive to make it regionless but I think I accidentally pressed RPC enable or disable (cant rem which) on the CDRW drive by accident (shit!!). I didnt notice straight away but from then on it started ejecting every CD i put in it immediately. I tried flashing it to a new firmware and now it takes a CD in but Explorer says 'insert disk' and nero says 'no disc inserted or drive not ready'. Have I killed it? I cant fix it ! Was it RPCED that did this or was it somethin else (as it wasnt run in compatibilty mode so it doesnt have any effect?)

Have tried reflashing with MTKFLASH in dos with a boot disk, but it didnt work.

All help greatly appreciated - thanks.
-djmatt
djmatt
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:37 pm

I don't know what procedure you followed with MTKFlash in DOS, but this is your best bet to restore operation of your drive. Create a bootable floppy disc first and copy MTKFlash and the firmware binary file to it.

You can get binary files for the LTR-24102B at http://www.alexander-noe.de/Firmwares/

Quoted from CD Freaks:
To flash a drive:

MTKFLASH "x" W /B filename.bin

Where "x" is a number from 1 to 4:

1: Primary master
2: Primary slave
3: Secondary master
4: Secondary slave

W is to write a firmware to the flashrom.
/B is to tell the program that the input file is a binary file.
filename.bin is just an example. Write the name of your firmware file here.

This will again take some time, do not reboot, switch power off or something while the flash is in progress. Note that it's counting from 0% to 100% several times!

Note the spaces in the command line:

MTKFLASH{space}"x"{space}W{space}/B{space}filename.bin

Bad flash recovery

If your drive suffered a bad flash, the green light will stay active, and the BIOS will not recognise your drive anymore.

Usually, you can recover a bad flashed drive in using mtkflash as described here: Simply install the firmware. However, sometimes, mtkflash malfunctions when trying to revive a drive.

In this case, try this:

Make sure you use the latest version of mtkflash (1.55)

connect the drive as secondary single slave

if the BIOS hangs when trying to detect the drive, simply press the skip button (ESC, F4 or whatever. Just look at your screen). Another possibility is to unplug power supply, wait until drive detection by the BIOS is done and then plug the power again.

try another PC to revive it (preferably different mainboards and chipset!)
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives