Home News Reviews Forums Shop

DVDRW - is 4.3GB the size limit at the mo?

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

DVDRW - is 4.3GB the size limit at the mo?

Postby skinfreak on Thu Nov 28, 2002 8:30 pm

I am thinking of getting the Sony DRU500A for Xmas but am worried about the evolution of writable DVD technology. I know this drive solves the format war, but what about the size limitations? I have heard of double sized discs in the near future...can anyone comment on this. Last thing I want to do is to shell out £250 UK notes and be shagged in 6 months. Call me cautious....

What are your recommendations? Is it worth me getting this drive or not? Should I hold on for a few months/years till the technology matures?

Info appreciated!

SF
skinfreak
Buffer Underrun

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:26 pm

The double sided discs will work. There's really nothing special about them; think of them as just two regular discs glued together. You just have to eject the disc and then flip it over to access/write the other side. They're mainly ment for people with DVD jukeboxes.
glock20rocks

Postby voltron on Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:49 pm

I thought it was 4.3GB/layer?
With the ability to have two layers per side.
And two sides/disc.

So 4.3 * 4 = 17.2 GB Max?
voltron
CD-RW Thug

Postby coolestnitish on Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:26 am

I researched this and apparently found that voltron, and glock.. were both right. Check these out-
http://www.cwol.com/dvd-burners/dvd-r9.4g1xds-5.htm
http://timefordvd.com/glossary/Glossary ... al-layered
The first one shows a normal double sided dvd on sale and the other explains dual layered (9.4 gb on 1 side). I remember, hollywood dvd's which show up as more than 4.7 gb and are still single sided. So yes, there are both of them available.
As per the DRU500A writing to these discs, I'll let someone who owns the drive answer, but I did hear it was able to write to dual layered.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:30 am

You could write to the double-sided discs (assuming the media is of good quality) but not to the dual-layer discs. No DVD-R/W drives have that capability. Dual-layer discs are currently available only as read-only pressed discs, not as writeable discs.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby coolestnitish on Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:36 am

Thanks for correcting me cfitz. Are we going to see dual layered dvd media for PC use?? Because then, as voltron pointed out a dual layered, dual sided would be 17.2 GB. That's a lot and it may put some blocks in the blu ray format which promises 27 gb of data on one side.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:48 am

coolestnitish wrote:Are we going to see dual layered dvd media for PC use??

That I don't know. But it would seem to be a lot more complicated, so even if it is eventually developed, I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:28 am

You'd probably see DVD-ML discs before writable dual layer discs :wink:
glock20rocks

Postby skinfreak on Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:45 am

I am still cautious...i think I'll let the chnology mature a bit first. There will be a demand for larger capacity for sure...after all, we alll want ot make backup copies of our home movies don't we ;) ... for the car of course .... no crap, that excuse won't work. For the family camper van! Yes. I need to backup my DVDs for the camper van.

SF
skinfreak
Buffer Underrun

more then 4.7gb

Postby dogdivine on Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:43 pm

Hi guys,

I read the posts and I ask is any dvd disc at moment how works in Sony DRU500a more then 4.7gb out there?
:roll:

tks
DogDivine®

just for fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dogdivine
Buffer Underrun

Re: more then 4.7gb

Postby Matt on Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:00 pm

dogdivine wrote:Hi guys,

I read the posts and I ask is any dvd disc at moment how works in Sony DRU500a more then 4.7gb out there?
:roll:

tks

See this linkfor media details on the 500a
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:33 pm

glock20rocks wrote:You'd probably see DVD-ML discs before writable dual layer discs :wink:

Blu-ray is faster and larger. :D
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

?????

Postby dogdivine on Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:22 am

Ok guys,

But this media works in Sony DRU-500a?????

Here can't I buy it?????

see you arround.
DogDivine®

dogdivine
Buffer Underrun

Re: ?????

Postby Kennyshin on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:20 am

dogdivine wrote:Ok guys,

But this media works in Sony DRU-500a?????

Here can't I buy it?????

see you arround.

What media? 9.4GB double-sided media? Double-sided media just like two separate single-sided 4.7GB media except that it occupies less space. Any modern DVD writer can write to them.
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Postby voltron on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:25 pm

dual layers need to be pressed afaik, so no, sony can't do it as of now.
blu-ray, HAH, they've been talking about that for days, i'm not getting erect until i see some product action.
voltron
CD-RW Thug

????

Postby dogdivine on Wed Dec 04, 2002 3:23 am

OK

I don't know it works or not?

Does anyone know about a single side DVD just like the ordinary DVD you see out there in big movies about 9gb who works in news dvd-/+r/rw?
this blue ray works or is just a project?
tks guys

stay in touch.
:lol:
DogDivine®

dogdivine
Buffer Underrun

Postby coolestnitish on Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:38 am

In this post only, cfitz mentioned that currently there are no DVD burners which can burn dual layered discs (the ones hollywood makes and are more than 4.7 gb on one side). I don't know if we will see such discs burnable in the future.
Blu-ray is one of the many formats, companies are fighting over to make the standard for next generation of optical storage. It promises holding 27gb on one disc. :o Check this out for more on blu-ray- http://www.matsushita.co.jp/corp/news/o ... 219-4.html
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers