Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Max CDRW speed for PII and PIII

Burn baby burn!

Max CDRW speed for PII and PIII

Postby mandrews4 on Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:37 am

Hi,

I've got 2 Dell machines, one a P III XPST 450Mhz and the second a dual processor Precision 410 2xPII 400Mhz. Both have a 100Mhz motherboard.

Currently, the PIII has a Sony CRX-100E CDRW drive, which i believe has 4x/2x/24x transfer rates.

I'd like to get a CDRW for the PII machine, but instead am thinking of moving the CRX-100E to the PII and buying a new drive for the PIII. Sound like a good idea?

Anyway, what are the recommended CDR/CDRW/CDROM speeds for the PII and PIII machines?

Thanks
mandrews4
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Nov 29, 2002 1:50 am

I think any drive will do as long as it as some type of buffer underrun protection like Burn proof, Smartburn, and etc. I would just head straight for the hot deals section and just look through all the posts. There are some really good deals on CD-RW drives going on every week. I think the slowest speed you can find in retail stores currently is 32x or 40x. Just look for a drive that fits into your budget. Once you find one, look through the reviews section to see if that drive is any good. Also if you can't find a drive in the reviews section, just ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help you out. Lite-On drives provide the best bang for the buck, so I would look into a Lite-On drive since they are high quality drives that are very reliable.

CDRLabs Reviews on CD-RW Drives

By the way, I too have the Sony Spressa USB CRX-100E drive. It's a nice drive, but it's slow and lacks buffer underrun protection. I used to get a lot of coasters with this drive due to a lack of the buffer underrun protection.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sat Nov 30, 2002 6:16 pm

A 40X or 48X burner should be fine for both machines.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby coolestnitish on Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:01 am

TheWizard wrote:A 40X or 48X burner should be fine for both machines.

I have a PIII 866Mhz, and I am planning to buy the LiteOn 52x. Anything wrong with that, as you didn't mention that one?
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Postby lightningbaron on Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:08 am

From http://www.liteonit.com/index-english.htm
System Requirement :
CPU Pentium 166MHz or faster, 128MB DRAM required
HDD must have access time < 20ms, with a minimum of 100MB Free space

The system requirement is irrelevant of the make and model of the CD-RW produced by Lite-On.

The faster your CPU and the more memory you have, the merrier! :D
lightningbaron
CD-RW Player

Postby TheWizard on Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:22 am

coolestnitish wrote:I have a PIII 866Mhz, and I am planning to buy the LiteOn 52x. Anything wrong with that, as you didn't mention that one?

A PIII-866MHz machine is more than enough for a 52X burner.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby coolestnitish on Sun Dec 01, 2002 3:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Wizard, I thought so too that the 52x should work normally on my machine, but just got a little confused in the wording. Thanks for clearing that.
OH BEHAVE!!!!!
Never in this world can hatred be stilled by hatred; it will be stilled only by non-hatred - this is the law Eternal.
coolestnitish
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives