Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Does anyone know who manufactures Samsung CDR media nowadays

Burn baby burn!

Does anyone know who manufactures Samsung CDR media nowadays

Postby GizmoC on Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:53 pm

Samsung disc I am talking about can be found here:
http://www.samsungmedia.com/total_frame ... s&html=cdr

forth row from the top, the one on the left (Samsung 32x Premium)

who manufactures these discs?

some people say ritek, some say prodisc... whom to ebleive ? and which is better? =[
GizmoC
Buffer Underrun

Re: Does anyone know who manufactures Samsung CDR media nowa

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:59 pm

GizmoC wrote:some people say ritek, some say prodisc... whom to ebleive ? and which is better? =[

I'm not sure who makes Samsung disc for I've never seen them before.
As for your question about whether Ritek or Prodisc is better, I think it depends on what CD-RW drive you have. Some drives are more media friendly towards a certain brand/manufacturer. I would check out the media compatability chart for your drive and then determine which disc is better for you.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby GizmoC on Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:19 pm

btw, would you happen to know who makes Memorex discs?
I always thoguht they were produced by TY, but in that post someone showed that Memorex made by CMC.
that really scares me.
GizmoC
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:47 pm

Older Samsung media, 12X and 16X, was made by Ritek. I'm not sure if they stuck with Ritek over the years.

Memorex discs are made by CMC, Ritek, and TY. Memorex likes to share the wealth. :)
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby GizmoC on Tue Dec 03, 2002 7:55 pm

I was looking thru your CDR Media chart and found one of the recommended media for the LiteOn 2410B (my drive) is from CMC Magnetics.
I simply dont understand on what basis do you say this.

You know, I wouldnt be here struggling for the past 10 hours jumping from one forum to another trying if I never used those crappy CMC Magnetic disks.
I ran some tests using CD Speed and EACH AND EVERY CMC disk had thousands of errors! Infact, newly burnt discs that werent even 1 min old had errors on them when I tested with CDSpeed.

So, I just dont know why you seem to have recommended those Imation disks.

My movie collection which spans over 1000 CDs is completely on those Imation(CMC) and Datalife (MMMM) disks. I've been told that within the next couple years all these CDs will eventually become unreadable. I wish that wasnt true, I keep telling myself that it isnt true because most of these CDs have lasted for more than a year now already, but those tests I ran using CDSpeed show that not even ONE of my CDs is free from errors.
I just dont know what to do.
If I buy better media and make cd-to-cd copy will those errors also be copied?
GizmoC
Buffer Underrun

Postby cd pirate on Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:14 pm

GizmoC, do you mean on the fly copy? dont do that. use clone cd to read the discs to the hard drive. make sure you select a slow read speed and enable "Abort on read error". the cds should read fine as long as there were no unreadable errors in cdspeed. were the errors yellow or red? yellow can be fixed but red can't.
cd pirate
Buffer Underrun

Postby GizmoC on Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:53 pm

All the errors were yellow.

Could you make it a lil bit more clear please?

Like I said, I want to start replacing these damaged CMC disks by copying them on better media. My question is, if I use Nero's on the fly copy (cd to cd) will the errors also be copied? If Yes, what is a better way to do it such that the errors are NOT copied on the new medium?
GizmoC
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives