Home News Reviews Forums Shop

burning super vcd on a dvd

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

burning super vcd on a dvd

Postby cd pirate on Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:31 am

i have a few questions regarding dvds.

1. can you burn svcds on a dvdr and watch it on your home dvd player if it supports svcds and dvdrs?

2. can you fit 2 or 4 hours of dvd movie on a dvdr? my ps2 manual says you can fit 4 hours on a single sided disc and 8 on a dual layer disc. i checked the size of many dvds, some which go for less than 90 min are 7 gig but some that go for 2 hours are less than 4 gig! whats the deal here? is it cause of the protectections they have on dvds?

any info would be appreciated :wink:
cd pirate
Buffer Underrun

Postby ajp32 on Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:26 pm

http://www.vcdhelp.com/svcddvdr.htm

It looks a little strange with the black bars on either side, but it works, though I'm giving serious thought to just backing them up instead of converting them.
:-?
"Eeek!" - Tweak
ajp32
Buffer Underrun

Postby cd pirate on Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:49 am

ajp32 wrote:http://www.vcdhelp.com/svcddvdr.htm

It looks a little strange with the black bars on either side, but it works, though I'm giving serious thought to just backing them up instead of converting them.
:-?

thanks. i read that site and it sounds complicated. can't you just convert dvds to svcds with a program like DVDx and then burn multiple svcds files on one dvdr with nero?
cd pirate
Buffer Underrun

Postby ajp32 on Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:00 am

The problem is that there isn't a way, that I know of, of tricking the DVD player into playing multiple SVCDs on a single DVDR. The DVD player will interpret the DVD media as being DVD-video, in which case it will be looking for DVD-video. Hence the needed conversion. Ugh.

My ultimate hope to fix all this up is to have a mega-DVD player that can play DivX files. Hopefully DivX will take off like MP3 and will be part of most players in the near future.
"Eeek!" - Tweak
ajp32
Buffer Underrun

Postby boblx2 on Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:02 pm

I can answer the second part of your question. I faced a similar obstacle with backing up Pelican Brief. It comes on 2 discs. What I finally did was to shrink them both with CCE so they would both fit on one DVD and then author them with SpruceUP with a background (that's important!) and buttons to select each cut. Don't try it without the background though because it won't work. You can use any background you want as long as you use one. But you can easily put two movies on one DVD by reducing their size with CCE.

That other trick of burning SVCD's to DVD's I would not even try. The ugliness I picture would not make it worth while. I too would just re-back up the SVCD as a DVD and be done with it. Either that or leave them as SVCD's. They don't look that bad. But I understand you would like them to be on one pice of media.
Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Postby cd pirate on Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:43 pm

ok. thanks for the info fellas :D
cd pirate
Buffer Underrun

Postby mike_s104 on Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:41 am

I took a 2 CD SVCD and put it on a DVD+RW and it works OK. the quality wasn't the greatest to start with so the quality wasn't the best on the DVD either. first I created a bin/cue with CDRWin v3.9b. after that I used a tool I found at http://www.vcdhelp.com/convert (cannot remember what it is called but will post when I get home some time today). after I had two MPEGs, I used Ulead DVD Studio to author the DVD. I know there are other, maybe freeware, apps that will do the same but I haven't tried them. DVD Studio made it very easy and worked the first time. I know I could have done a better job off it, but each CD was a chapter. it took a while to encode it before burning it to DVD+RW so I don't think I will be it every day. I just wanted to see if I could do it.
mike_s104
CD-RW Thug

Return to DVD Writers