Home News Reviews Forums Shop

ASPI - Installed 4.6 via forceaspi and wondered...

Anything else

ASPI - Installed 4.6 via forceaspi and wondered...

Postby mrk1283 on Wed Dec 11, 2002 4:46 am

....wether leaving it installed has any drawbacks?

Of course it has it's pros as now I can rpc1 my lite-on dvd drive and can use cdrwin also without error and numerous ther programs.

However I have winxp pro sp1 and by default system aspi was not installed at all. I used nero info tool to verify this and only nero aspi was installed. I also use clonecd latest build but that also uses its own handler layers.

After installing aspi 4.6 and rebooting everything is perfectly fine so far and was wondering if it is or would in long term hinder anything on my system? its installed successfully and I dont really mind leaving it like this if its not problems.

Cheers all
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:02 am

As long as the system works fine, leave it installed. And don't bother installing Adaptec's ASPI since it can not be uninstalled and causes more troubles than good...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby vbl117 on Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:31 am

Keep your system aspi layer like this . Your system cannot work worse with it and it ll work better for cd/dvd reading and cd/dvd burning .
You use the 4.60 aspi layer . So if there was issues with 4.60 aspi layer they must have been solved with the time .
I use the latest aspi layer from adaptec ( version 4.71.2 ) and i m not experiencing problems ( though it seems some people did ).
My OS is Windows XP Professionnal .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby mrk1283 on Wed Dec 11, 2002 5:46 am

Yup, 4.6 - I never plan and never have planned on installing naything adaptec, even the easy cd creator with my cd rw drive which came free is still in the box when i got it a year ago as I only trust nero and clonecd for my burning needs.

SO far ive had no problems with 4.6 and dvdx uses it to effect nownunder input settings.

Cheers for the input
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby Joker on Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:50 am

Han wrote:As long as the system works fine, leave it installed. And don't bother installing Adaptec's ASPI since it can not be uninstalled and causes more troubles than good...

Too late! Adaptec's ASPI is exactly what he DID install. ForceASPI was written to install Adaptec's ASPI on systems that didn't have either an Adaptec SCSI card or a qualifying Adaptec software package installed, thereby bypassing the licensing restrictions, and is considered Warez (pirated software). There's no reason to use it, as there is a newer version that's free. aspi_v472a2.exe is freely available on Adaptec's site. I think there is some info on Adaptec's site on what version you should use based on your OS.

Joker
Joker
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 11, 2002 9:21 am

Joker wrote:Too late! Adaptec's ASPI is exactly what he DID install. ForceASPI was written to install Adaptec's ASPI on systems that didn't have either an Adaptec SCSI card or a qualifying Adaptec software package installed, thereby bypassing the licensing restrictions, and is considered Warez (pirated software).

Absolutely. Although I wouldn't worry about the warez implications with version 4.60 at this point since Adaptec has made newer versions freely available. I suspect the only reason 4.60 still has the restrictions is that Adaptec just didn't want to be bothered going back and rebuilding the installation package. But, that's just my opinion.

vbl117 wrote:Your system cannot work worse with it and it ll work better for cd/dvd reading and cd/dvd burning .

The system won't work any better for reading/writing CDs or reading DVDs since it doesn't use ASPI for those tasks. The only thing the ASPI layer does is allow you to use other software that does require an ASPI layer. If you have such software, then by all means install and use a system level ASPI layer. But if you don't have such software, then there isn't any need for ASPI. In mrk1283's case, he does have some software that requires an ASPI layer and his ASPI installation isn't causing any problems, so I would recommend leaving it in place.

Han wrote:Adaptec's ASPI <snip> can not be uninstalled and causes more troubles than good...

What do you mean it can't be uninstalled? That isn't my experience.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby mrk1283 on Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:13 am

any aspi system level layetr can be uninstalled, the force aspi applications .bat files allow this, aspi dumping to backup aspi, aspi killing (deleting/uninstalling), dumpfiles restoring, installing 4.6aspi.

There should not be any problems here at all and as I recall the first time i installed windows xp pro aspi was installed as I had cdrwin and clony xxl which worked perfectly, it was after I installed a few versions of updating nero and clonecd that I realised not long ago that aspi had been removed without my knowledge, not bothered by this because as said the only proggies that use aspi that i have are cdrwin which i no longer use and the only utility which i will use the lite-on dvd rpc tool and finally clony xxl which i dont need to use any more.
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Wed Dec 11, 2002 10:49 am

CDRWIN has its own ASPI included in the installation package. Actually it's a NexiTech licensed aspi version which can be uninstalled and doesn't affect other applications.

ForceASPI batch files only copy aspi layer files into appropriate folders, where other applications look for them...

Adaptec's ASPI, howerver, to my experience can't be uninstalled. I haven't find any uninstall option!
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby vbl117 on Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:37 pm

"vbl117 wrote:
Your system cannot work worse with it and it ll work better for cd/dvd reading and cd/dvd burning .

The system won't work any better for reading/writing CDs or reading DVDs since it doesn't use ASPI for those tasks. The only thing the ASPI layer does is allow you to use other software that does require an ASPI layer. If you have such software, then by all means install and use a system level ASPI layer. But if you don't have such software, then there isn't any need for ASPI. In mrk1283's case, he does have some software that requires an ASPI layer and his ASPI installation isn't causing any problems, so I would recommend leaving it in place."

You must be right . But my aspi layer was corrupted and most of the time i could not access to the content of my cd/dvd .
reinstalling the aspi layer solved the problem ( though i cannot say how ) .
I ve checked and u're right , the OS doesn't need the aspi layer to use the peripherals . It's , like you say , a programming interface between the applications and the OS
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:36 pm

Han wrote:Adaptec's ASPI, howerver, to my experience can't be uninstalled. I haven't find any uninstall option!

Ah, you mean that Adaptec doesn't include an easy-to-use uninstall icon as part of its installation package? That may be the case. I haven't checked. However, Adaptec ASPI doesn't make any drastic, irreversible changes that would prevent it from being uninstalled in general. In other words, it won't insert itself into your system so inextricably that it can't be removed without resorting to reinstalling the OS. There are alternative, but still relatively straightforward, measures available for uninstalling it. Mrk1283 suggested one good one that I have also used in the past.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Han on Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:00 pm

Well, I had some difficulties with Adaptec's latest ASPI. "Removing" it and Registry editing didn't help at all. I've also installed ForceASPI and then removed it, but WinOnCD 6 refused to show all the recording speeds for my burner...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby mrk1283 on Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:42 pm

you have to delete the dll files form the relevent folders and delete the referemneces to the files, the batch file to remove the aspi layer contains this:

Code: Select all
@Echo off
SET ver=1.7
IF %OS%==Windows_NT Goto WinNT

:Win9x
CLS
Echo KillASPI %ver%
Echo.
Echo Windows 9x or ME Detected.
Echo Windows is in : %winbootdir%
Echo Killing Files...

Echo   - WINASPI.DLL
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\winaspi.dll Echo     [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\winaspi.dll del %winbootdir%\system\winaspi.dll > nul

Echo   - WNASPI32.DLL
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\wnaspi32.dll Echo     [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\wnaspi32.dll del %winbootdir%\system\wnaspi32.dll > nul

Echo   - ASPIENUM.VXD
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\aspienum.vxd Echo     [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\aspienum.vxd del %winbootdir%\system\aspienum.vxd > nul

Echo   - APIX.VXD
IF NOT EXIST %winbootdir%\system\iosubsys\apix.vxd Echo     [ file does not exist ]
IF EXIST %winbootdir%\system\iosubsys\apix.vxd del %winbootdir%\system\iosubsys\apix.vxd > nul

Echo Done!
Echo.
Echo ASPI Layer is Killed.
Echo Reboot your PC to make the changes active.
Goto End

:WinNT
CLS
Echo KillASPI %ver%
Echo.
Echo Windows NT or 2000 Detected.
Echo Windows is in : %windir%
IF %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==x86 Goto Intel
Goto Alpha

:Intel
Echo Killing Files...
Echo   - WINASPI.DLL
IF EXIST %windir%\system\winaspi.dll (
  del %windir%\system\winaspi.dll > nul
) ELSE (
  Echo     [ file does not exist ]
)
Echo   - WOWPOST.EXE
IF EXIST %windir%\system\wowpost.exe (
  del %windir%\system\wowpost.exe > nul
) ELSE (
)
Echo   - WNASPI32.DLL
IF EXIST %windir%\system32\wnaspi32.dll (
  del %windir%\system32\wnaspi32.dll > nul
) ELSE (
)
Echo   - ASPI32.SYS
IF EXIST %windir%\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys (
  del %windir%\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys > nul
) ELSE (
)
Echo Done!
Echo.
Echo ASPI Layer is Killed.
Echo Reboot your PC to make the changes active.
Goto End

:Alpha
Echo Alpha CPU Detected.
Echo Sorry, only Intel x86 and compatible platforms are supported.
Goto End

:End
SET ver=
pause
exit
mrk1283
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions