Home News Reviews Forums Shop

24x Max?!?...

Burn baby burn!

24x Max?!?...

Postby The Pikey on Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:15 am

I was just hoping that someone here can clear up some confusion for me...

Some guy that I work with was trying to tell me that the absolute max that ANY CD-RW drive can burn at is 24x. This was for regular CD-R discs that we were talking about...

He's a total retard and kept babbling on about how he has a diploma (Yes, a diploma, not a degree. LOL) in electrical engineering, and it's a stone cold fact that CDs cannot be burnt at faster than 24x. He said that any burner that is labled at anything higher than 24x write or rewrite speeds, doesn't actually write at anything faster than 24x.

It gets funnier though... He also said that 24x drives will write a full 700 MB disc in around 1:30, and going up to faster drives than that will not increase your burn time in any way, shape, or form...

Basically, I knew this ass was full of it, but I couldn't actually whip out any cold hard facts to prove him wrong...

Can anyone give me some facts to actually print off and prove that this stooge is a total dumbass?...

Pikey
The Pikey
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Dec 13, 2002 1:29 am

Don't waste your time with this guy - it will just bring you down. But you can print any of Ian's reviews and show him plenty of graphs and tables showing burn speeds and times.

As for 700MB in 1:30 at 24x, 1x on a CD = 150KB/s, so 700MB in 1:30 works out to (700,000 Bytes / 90 s)/(150 KB/s) = 52x average speed. That you definitely can not do! The fastest CD burners that now exist (and that likely ever will) reach top speeds of approximately 52x only at the outer edge of the disc and have average speeds around 40x.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives