Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Any advantage in buying NERO boxed over serial upgrade?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Any advantage in buying NERO boxed over serial upgrade?

Postby Rudy on Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:31 pm

I have Nero OEM but only works with my Yamaha. I can not used with my HP dvd burner in the same computer.

I understand I can upgrade my serial number for $19.00 online but Compusa has NERO BOXED for $19.00+tax on sale this week.

Is there any advantage on buying the boxed version?
Rudy
Buffer Underrun

Postby aviationwiz on Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:36 pm

Well for the same price I would go with the boxed version because you get it in the store. You also get the physical product.
aviationwiz
Plextor Fan(atic)

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:13 pm

I concur in general. Beware, though, that there is one potential hitch with the retail boxed version - you only get the $19 price after rebates. So make sure to follow all the instructions exactly, keep photocopies of all receipts, forms and UPC bar codes, send in everything in time, and maybe even get proof of mailing (I use "certificate of mailing" at the post office because it only costs $0.90 instead of ~$3.50 for registered mail). This will cost you a few extra dollars if you are paranoid like me. (Of course am I paranoid if they really are out to get me? I have had a couple of bad rebate experiences where they tried to/are still trying to rip me off)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:02 am

Did you make a decision yet? Ahead does discuss this on their website:

http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#c1002820773269

The retail package includes, in addition to everything in the download upgrade, the Nero media player, a label applicator, and some labels.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby vorlon on Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:00 am

As far as I know (ok, it's only my own experience with 2 different lite-ons and nero 5.5 oem bundled ) you should have had a nero oem cd with your drive.
On this cd there is an installer for 'nero media player' (as well as nero itself and InCD) and integrated to your installed nero oem there should be the label editor as well as (as far as I can remember) 4 preconfigured labels.
So, buying the boxed version is only a matter of physical contact.
All plugins (mpeg2svcd, mp3, mp3pro etc.) have to be bought (and downloaded) seperately and are (correct me if I'm wrong) not included with the boxed version or any other.

Ah yeah, you can of course update your oem version with exising nero updates (5.5.9.17 should be newest)
Understanding is a three-edged sword:
our side, their side and the truth.
vorlon
Buffer Underrun

Postby Rudy on Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:20 am

Probably the same but I got the box.
Thank you for your answers. It is nice to participate in this forum were in about 1 hour you get proper feedback.
Rudy
Buffer Underrun

Postby Rudy on Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:55 pm

Sorry I should have said that the boxed version came with printed manual, disc label applicator and a few labels.
Rudy
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)