Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Doom 3: What does everyone think?

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

Doom 3: What does everyone think?

Postby glock20rocks on Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:25 pm

If you've been lucky enough to play it, what do you think of it?

Hard to say how well it'll play; everytime I shoot something it goes into slow-mo :(
However, it does look increadible; I just hope the frame rate improves before it is released. Go Carmack!!

Then again, I will be upgrading to a GeForce FX/P4 3.06GHz soon, so maybe that'll help :wink:

Now if they'd just release the source like they've done before...
glock20rocks

doom 3

Postby texascbx on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:25 pm

pretty game.getting about 10 fps with my ti4200 128mb overclocked card though.
texascbx
Buffer Underrun

Postby glock20rocks on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:38 pm

I have a Geforce 2 TI and it plays ok (20fps?) until a monster shows up, then does about .5fps :(

Can't wait for the final!!
glock20rocks

Postby dhc014 on Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:45 pm

Scary as hell... oh wait... :D
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:24 am

Are we talking about the leaked alpha demo that's been floating around on Kazza and on the newsgroups?? I have heard about the slow-down problems and Im just going to wait until they release the demo offically. I want a demo that I can play. I have seen screenshots that look great, but I wonder if a Geforce4 or anything can run it with all that detail.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby Derek on Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:50 pm

The system I'm building next summer will have Doom 3 and the games that use its engine in mind. Athlon 64, Geforce FX, SATA HDDs, 1GB RAM. This thing will be a beast.

Anyway, I saw the alpha. It was neat, but I won't pass judgement on a leaked alpha build. It was totally unoptimized for any hardware except their demo system. The official game will probably be much better in terms of performance.

EDIT- Oh, and I almost dropped a load in my pants when that monster jumped out, even at 10fps. This game will be scary!

Derek
Derek
CD-RW PiMP

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:20 pm

Yup, we're talking about the leaked alpha. Very early, very slow, very pretty, and yes, scary too!

It's like a first person Resident Evil :)

I'm also going to be building a new system with Doom in mind...me, I'm probably going to get a 2.8GHz P4 and wait for Intel to come out with the new 800MHz FSB proc's. You know, dual 800MHz FSB Xeons (with Hyperthreading enable so Windows sees 4 cpu's) would really be cool...

I'll get a Clawhammer instead, IF they come out. I've heard that AMD is basically shelving the Clawhammer :evil:

Dual CH's would be nice...
glock20rocks

Postby Derek on Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:54 pm

Shelving Clawhammer aka Athlon 64? Far from it. While it's true Operton (or "Sledgehammer"), the server processor, will be released first, the Athlon 64 should see the streets by March-April, with a paper release sometime in Febuary.

I just hope the OS is there for it. MS has a beta OS that supports 64bit, but it's not ready yet. There will be gains from just using the Athlon 64 in 32bit, but not as much as there would be in a pure 64 bit environment. Keep up with it at www.amdmb.com and www.amdzone.com

Derek
Derek
CD-RW PiMP

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:06 pm

Good...I just hope the dual-proc boards are going to be reasonably priced.
There's already word that there's an enhanced, 64-bit version UT2K3 that will be available at launch. Too cool...
glock20rocks

Return to The Beer Garden