Home News Reviews Forums Shop

under-clocked and hot!

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

under-clocked and hot!

Postby green rain on Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:12 am

Hi im having a bit of a problem that my 1 gig athlon I have is only running at 750 my settings are CPU clock multiplier 7.5X,
CPU frequency 100 mhz I was wondering does it matter if i set the CPU frequency to 133 or the clock multiplier to 10X to get to 1 gig? would this make any difference?

also the ram is running at a slower speed which it's supposed to be, it's running at 100 mhz, it should be 133 mhz (unless when I bought my comp they gave me slower ram) is there anyway to check the speed of the ram so i dont overclock it by mistake? I went to the winbond site but was unable to load the page (there is no speed wriiten on the ram)

I'm also worried that the temp of the chip and the board might get too hot with the new settings as it already sounds a bit high for me as it is (if they are high)

using pc probe it tells me the temps are
CPU 52C / 125 F
MB 33C / 91 F
or could the chip being underclocked be causing the high temps?

thanks for any help

George :D
green rain
Buffer Underrun

Postby Kadrien on Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:39 am

Get into the BIOS and set the FSB to 133, and make sure the RAM is clocked at 133 too. BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT, make sure the HSF is seated properly and that the fan is spinning. Athlons run hot (not that P4's are cool running, the latest P4 is kicking out the new thermal record for heat) and don't have much in the way of overheating protection, so if that HSF is faulty, improperly installed, or somehow blocked from working correctly, you could fry your chip in a heartbeat. And to answer your question, yes it does matter in the FSB vs. mutiplier question; a faster FSB means faster data transfer to and from the chip, which means better performance overall. The multiplier is just how fast the chip processes the info compared to the FSB, so a low one doesn't mean anything bad if the FSB is high. Good luck.
Kadrien
Buffer Underrun

Postby green rain on Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:45 am

thanks for the quick help Kadrien I had this same question posted on the asus board site for a week (before I found this one) and didn't get any replies, i come here and I get the help I need in less than 2 hours!

so I know where I'll be asking for help in the future :D, and I'll be checking my fan as soon as I can to make sure all is working

thanks again

George
green rain
Buffer Underrun

Postby KuoH on Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:54 pm

I don't know about Athlon temps, but I helped a friend put together a 2.4 P4 system this weekend and the CPU temp levels out at 109F.

As for overtemp protection, doesn't the P4 automatically "down clock" when it senses a thermal problem? At least that's what the Toms Hardware tests showed. The video of that Athlon going up in smoke was interesting to watch. :wink:

KuoH

Kadrien wrote: Athlons run hot (not that P4's are cool running, the latest P4 is kicking out the new thermal record for heat) and don't have much in the way of overheating protection, so if that HSF is faulty, improperly installed, or somehow blocked from working correctly, you could fry your chip in a heartbeat.
KuoH
CD-RW Thug

Postby Dartman on Mon Dec 16, 2002 2:42 am

Mine runs around 55c when it's really hot in here, seems to be fine. I have a MSI board and it will throttle the chip if you turn on the monitoring function so it doesn't melt down, not all Athlon boards support this though.
The chip's absolute max is around 95c so as long as it's stable you should be OK, run it to it's rated clock and ratio and it should be fine. Just make sure you have good heatsinks and airflow. I run a Thermaltake Volcano 7 and it's a monster that uses a full size variable auto fan. work pretty good but is huge and heavy, lots of good coolers out there.
Dartman
CD-RW Player

Postby green rain on Mon Dec 16, 2002 8:46 am

thanks again for all the extra input great to have more info, it all helps I have a ASUS A7V133-C board, have to check to see if it has some monitoring function like you mention, Ill think about getting a new fan as well now that it's summer here in Australia it gets too hot sometimes :P
might end up with one of those smoking Athlons if I'm not careful
:o

Thanks again for the help

George
green rain
Buffer Underrun

Postby blakerwry on Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:28 am

Your temps sound a little high... personally, I wouldn't want to run my CPU over ~55C(130F) The common concensous for Athlon class CPU's is that anythiong over 60C is pushing it.

So you are definately close to the max... I would recomend reading http://www.arcticsilver.com/alumina_adh ... ctions.htm for isntructions on how to apply thermal paste (even if you aren't using arctic silver you can follow these instructions with standard thermal grease)

The AMD specs for the 1gHz T-Bird say iot generates aprox 50watts of heat... this is less than any Athlon XP chip (besides the slowest thoroughbred 1700+). So, I should say you should easily be below 120F with even a slow fan and reletively poor case cooling.

Even so... make sure the heatsink is on the socket correctly (there is only one correct direction the heatsink can be placed) and make sure that the fan is spining without excessive vibration or rattling type noise(might indicate a fan failure). If your case gets hot, you might want to think about using an exhaust fan for the case.
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby blakerwry on Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:29 am

woops.. that was the wrong link... hehe :-)

here's the correct link to the arctic silver directions

http://www.arcticsilver.com/adhesive_instructions.htm
blakerwry
CD-RW Player

Postby green rain on Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:22 am

Thanks for the extra idea blake, as I say the more the better :D one thing I do intend to do is to put in a case fan which I thought it had but after looking inside the case again (missed it the last time) :roll: I realised that there is none there! so thats the first thing I will be doing this week
I'll also be looking into getting some of that thermal grease you mentioned.

Again thanks for your help

George
green rain
Buffer Underrun

Postby voltron on Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:35 pm

my athlon runs hot so i use a software cooling program/ stpgnt(sp?) reg patch to kill the cpu when it's idle. lowers temp 12-15 degrees c when idle
voltron
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 14, 2003 4:26 pm

voltron wrote:my athlon runs hot so i use a software cooling program/ stpgnt(sp?) reg patch to kill the cpu when it's idle. lowers temp 12-15 degrees c when idle

voltron, can you give more info about this software?
URL?
thanks!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby voltron on Thu Jan 23, 2003 5:25 pm

sorry for long reply, but it works for via motherboards only AFAIK

http://www.georgebreese.com/net/software/