Home News Reviews Forums Shop

MP3/Audio Players

Anything else

MP3/Audio Players

Postby glock20rocks on Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:36 am

Is there ANY music player out there that doesn't have a "cute" skin and just uses the standard Windows interface? Media Player 6 would be perfect if it had playlists, 7 would be nice w/o the stupid visualazitons.

Right now the best one seems to be FreeMP3Player, but I'm open to options.

Yes, I know I'm picky :wink:

Actually if anyone knows how to decode/playback WMA files, I could just whip out Visual C++...
glock20rocks

Postby sonyman on Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:46 am

What about Winamp?

-Scott
Gigabyte GA-8KNXP
Intel Pentium 4 3GHz
1024MB PC3700 DDR @400MHz CL2
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro
Sony DRU-500A
Lite-On LTR-52327S 52x32x52
sonyman
CD-RW Thug

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:15 am

You can turn off the visualizations and select the classic or miniplayer skins and WMP 7 disappears down to almost nothing. No fancy flashing lights or anything.

dBPowerAMP looks nice too, but I can't figure out how to simply play a CD!!

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:47 am

dbPowerAMP has "quirks" for sure! I hate how it resumes playback right where it left over when it was closed; that could be useful, but they need a way to turn it off. I do love the dbPowerAMP music converter, though...
glock20rocks

Postby cfitz on Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:56 am

Do you know how to play a simple CD audio disc with dBPowerAMP? I feel so embarrassed to have been defeated by something so trivial... The documentation says that a CDA codec is built in, so it must support CD disc playback. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to tell it to play a disc. All my installation seems to want to do is play music files (.wav, .mp3, etc) already resident on my hard disk.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Inertia on Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:41 am

I agree with Sonyman, what about Winamp? It will play back any audio content, including CDA (CD), WMA, and Ogg Vorbis (and even video files).

It will also convert WMA to WAV with the right plugin.

Windows Media Player 6.4 will load and play M3U playlists and all of the MP3 files contained.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:25 am

cfitz wrote:Do you know how to play a simple CD audio disc with dBPowerAMP? I feel so embarrassed to have been defeated by something so trivial... The documentation says that a CDA codec is built in, so it must support CD disc playback. But for the life of me I can't figure out how to tell it to play a disc. All my installation seems to want to do is play music files (.wav, .mp3, etc) already resident on my hard disk.

cfitz

I have the same experience. I'm not impressed.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby glock20rocks on Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:30 pm

Sorry cfitz, I've never tried playing an audio CD in dbPowerAMP. I allways rip CD's to my harddrive first. I will try WinAmp tonight.

Thanks for the input guys! I never knew MP6.4 could load playlists...hmm...

This FreeMP3Player is great though; I may just keep it! I really like how quick and easy it is to orginize music. A few quirks, yes, but overall great. Don't know if it can play CD's...but not something I need to do anyway.

Oh, to any Moderator reading this:

There seems to be some weird bug in the forum software :(

I never got an e-mail saying there was a new post on this thread, and got an e-mail saying there WAS one on another thread when there really wasn't. It linked me to some thread I've never even read before. Weird...
glock20rocks

Return to General Software Questions