Home News Reviews Forums Shop

New way to BSOD InCD

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

New way to BSOD InCD

Postby Daiwa on Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:48 am

I have a BTC DVD-ROM and a Norcent CD-RW. I use the CD-RW mainly as a *large floppy* for backups using InCD. After getting some conflicting Adaptec & Iomega files cleaned from my Win2K system, I was having no problems with InCD (3.51.61) at all.

The BTC DVD-ROM for some reason has rather severe low speed vibration at times (it is vertically oriented, but supposedly designed for that), particularly on bootup when a disc is loaded. I happened to open the tray on the DVD-ROM to stop the vibration during a boot and right after the InCD arrow flipped & turned green, I got a BSOD error UNEXPECTED_KERNELMODE_TRAP. I let the DVD-ROM tray close and let the system boot again - no problems. Looks like InCD doesn't handle a drive tray being open during load very well.

FYI.
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby Action Jackson on Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:39 am

I'm not sure that a program can be that sensitve to a hardware's orientation.

But if a vibration causes the laser to "flutter", then that I can understand being the cause of errors.

You mentioned that you had some adaptec software installed previously. Did DirectCD or any other programs give you similar errors?
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:54 am

Daiwa:

Do you have Autorun on for your DVD-ROM drive? What does Nero InfoTool say? (BTW, are you running Intel's Applications Accelerator?) Did you install EasyWriteReader? (Your earlier posts suggest you didn't, and that you have Autorun off for your burner.)

Well, if you insist on having a disc in your DVD-ROM reader on bootup, you could prevent InCD from loading by removing the InCD entry in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

(export this key first in case you want to retrieve it later). Then, when needed, run InCD.exe from C:\Program Files\ahead\InCD.

I would try the latest InCD 3.51.91 first.

Action Jackson:

Programs such as InCD monitor the status of readers and writers to detect disc insertion. In this case, I don't know whom to blame: InCD, W2K or the reader's firmware. I couldn't find any MS documentation on Autorun (I only saw references to AutoPlay, a different animal).

In general, some users can only run InCD with Autorun off for their burner on W2K; for others Autorun doesn't matter. Different parts of Ahead's documentation suggest different settings for Autorun. I tried to clarify this matter with CCampbell, but he only wrote that they had no issues with Autorun on W2K.

I don't know how DirectCD would behave in Daiwa's case. But to put the whole issues in proper perspective, how many users boot up with open trays? :roll:
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Sun Dec 22, 2002 12:18 pm

I wasn't as clear as I should have been. I have no problems with a disc being loaded in the DVD-ROM during boot *except* the low speed vibration, which can be quite loud at times because the computer sits on a wooden hutch type desk that amplifies the sound to an extent. The vertical orientation is not causing any problems with read errors with that drive. I have a flight sim I play quite often & it requires the disc be loaded at startup so, being lazy, I just leave it in. :roll:

Obviously, I only use InCD with the burner, not the DVD-ROM, but InCD must do something in the way of *scanning* all drives when it loads and it just didn't like finding one with the drive tray open at the time. I thought InCD would just ignore a *non-RW* CD or DVD drive, but I figured wrong it appears. I have AutoPlay/AutoRun disabled for both drives. On a side note, after ejecting a data CD from the burner with InCD & inserting another formatted CD-RW disc, InCD doesn't automatically *see* it and flip the arrow - it will stay red/down until I open Windows Explorer or right-click the InCD SysTray icon and select Properties. This is not really a problem, just a curious observation - whether it has anything to do with the AutoRun/AutoPlay problem in Win2K I don't know.

And KCK is right, even I don't *normally* boot with a tray open - I just happened to get annoyed with the noise from the vibration on this one occasion and hit the Eject button to stop it. And I plan to install 3.51.91 anyway, though doubt that would avoid the problem I stumbled across - it's just a lesson learned.

AJ - the Adaptec file I was referring to was the Adaptec CD burning plugin that gets silently installed with WMP7.x. I've never had any other Adaptec/Roxio software installed. :)
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:27 pm

Daiwa:

As I told you before, I have Autorun on for my LTR-48125W VS08 under XP Pro SP1, and InCD detects a disc inserted even when I press the Shift key to prevent Autoplay.

I don't remember if you tried Autorun on under W2K, but you could experiment, especially with the latest InCD.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:32 pm

KCK wrote:InCD detects a disc inserted even when I press the Shift key to prevent Autoplay.

what's this?
if you press the shift key while the CD is being inserted into the drive it will prevent autoplay? or during the CD recognition time?
(never heard of this!...)
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Daiwa on Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:40 pm

I'm thinking InCD detects a disc by some other method having nothing to do with the AutoRun/AutoPlay feature of Win2K. I like AutoRun off, anyway, so I'm gonna let sleeping dogs lie. Cheers. :D
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby KCK on Sun Dec 22, 2002 3:21 pm

dodecahedron:

Yes, keeping the shift key pressed while a CD is being inserted should prevent Autoplay. I don't know precise timings, i.e., whether you must press the key before the tray closes, if it works if you press the key a bit later, and when it is safe to stop pressing. It may depend on the burner as well, so you may wish to experiment.

I learnt little from MS when I tried, but Google fetched quite a few pages from companies developing autoplay software, so they probably have better documentation.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 22, 2002 4:27 pm

KCK wrote:dodecahedron:

Yes, keeping the shift key pressed while a CD is being inserted should prevent Autoplay. I don't know precise timings, i.e., whether you must press the key before the tray closes, if it works if you press the key a bit later, and when it is safe to stop pressing. It may depend on the burner as well, so you may wish to experiment.

thanks, KCK!

(BTW, sorry about not responding on the other thread http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7494 i will do that when i have more free time from work :x ...)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:36 pm

dodecahedron:

No problem! I'm so busy right now, I couldn't even try the latest InCD. I'm leaving tomorrow till Dec. 30, and I won't insist that you reply in the other thread in the meantime, because it will be a pleasure to continue the other thread next year! :D
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Daiwa on Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:13 pm

Just a little follow-up. After installing 3.51.91, I ran a little reg cleaner, which I usually do after installing or uninstalling programs. I must have forgotten to do so after removing the WMP Adaptec plugin - there were still about 18 reg entries relating to the Adaptec files. They all referenced files that no longer existed, so I doubt they were causing any problems, but removed them anyway. Just furthering the knowledge. :wink:
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:48 pm

what registry cleaner do you use?
can you recommend it?
can you provide a URL?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Daiwa on Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:36 pm

Sure -

JV16 Power Tools

http://www.jv16.com

Freeware.

Cheers :D
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:31 pm

Daiwa wrote:Sure -

JV16 Power Tools

http://www.jv16.com

Freeware.

Cheers :D

thanks!

umm...can't really find anything like that there...looks like a shopping portal!
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby KCK on Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:40 pm

Maybe I'm too stupid to use www.jv16.com, so here is another one

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/jv16powertools.shtml
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:45 pm

thanks! :D
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Daiwa on Sun Dec 22, 2002 8:59 pm

Stupid me - www.jv16.org.

Sorry. :oops:
Daiwa
CD-RW Thug

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)