Home News Reviews Forums Shop

SONY DRU-500a DEEP TEST CRITICS..... READ IT BEFORE YOU BUY!

DVD-R/W, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM

SONY DRU-500a DEEP TEST CRITICS..... READ IT BEFORE YOU BUY!

Postby techno on Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:54 pm

:evil:

lo, about the SONY DRU-500A..... most people say its a great dvd burner... ypu change your opinion when you burn several dvd's on the fly. (dvd too dvd-burner)... i can tell this sony burner really suxx on this part. i did the firmware upgrade, did used SONY, PRINCO, VERBATIM, DATATRACK, NO-NAMES, TDK and PRODATA DVD-R.
i did burn 45 dvd-s and got 31 toasters totaly...
i used a DVD-ROM from Pioneer, LG, SONY, AOPEN en Lacy, and software was NEROBURN, VERITAS BURN (was included), DVDXCOPY....
The most common problem was after the burn... after burning it says the dvd copying was succesfull.... then i put the burned dvd in a dvd-rom and mostly it cannot find all data, gives many streaming errors, and exeptional faults.... THIS SUCKS!!!!!

when burning from harddrive i also burned some (too many again) toasters when burning more then 2 after eachother. temperature of the burner seems a problem, its getting too hot. also the sony dru-500a have many problems after 82%... the first 10% it goes fast.... then the problem starts..... and finished after 1 hour more or less...

i can say 1 thing : SONY have too do something about this problem FAST, or there strategic marketing plan with this drive will end in a disaster.

i work i a computershop as pc-technician, clients with there SONY DRU-500 burners come back fast with the same problem. even a firmware upgrade does not solve this problem. (also not with the new 1.0f version)

we sold about 27 burners this month, 12 returned already and i can tell clients where not happy at all...

they took a PIONEER A05 dvd- burner in place, and did not hear any complaints now.
me also using the A05 at work, and on 50 dvd-r burns there are about 1 or 2 toasters...

so my opinion : DONT BUY IT AT THE MOMENT IF YOU "COPY ON THE FLY"
also i think there is no mix from + and - standard possible too work very good... the have too choose the one, or the other standard.

many harsware-sites have good critics, i think these sites have a good sponsor and loose the spirit too give also negative critics when its needed.
i read here there are more persons who burned too many toasters too say the drive is good...

hard work will be needed too optimize the SONY DRU-500!!!!
if you want too be compatible with all dvd-rom, you need a dvd-r burner.

good luck
techno
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:08 pm

Most DVD movies are copy protected.

Are you trying to burn copy protected DVD movies on the fly? On the fly copies of copy protected DVD's can't be successfully made with any DVD burner.

If it burns successfully from the hard drive, it is only because the copy protection was removed when it was ripped to the hard drive.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby Kennyshin on Sat Dec 21, 2002 10:15 pm

You tried on-the-fly copy 45 times and 14 discs were successfully burned? Since the thread title says "DEEP TEST", why don't you post the entire results of your tests?
Kennyshin
CD-RW Player

Re: SONY DRU-500a DEEP TEST CRITICS..... READ IT BEFORE YOU

Postby seezar on Sun Dec 22, 2002 7:54 am

i did burn 45 dvd-s and got 31 toasters totaly...

I think you mean Coasters... I've yet to see a toaster come out of my drive :P

Anyway, seriously, I would not discount a burner because of burning on the fly problems. Burning on the fly with any burner is usually less reliable than ripping and burning from a hard drive. I've had my drive for over a month now and no problems whatsoever. I havent even made a coaster yet but I always use brand name media (which, yes, ends up being a bit more expensive).
seezar
Buffer Underrun

DEEP TEST ON DVD_R reply

Postby techno on Mon Dec 23, 2002 4:03 am

i forgot too say it was a deep test on DVD-R burning.
on DVD+RW the test results where good, and was described before on the forum.
yes its coasters :) and i did not "copy on the fly" protected movie-dvd's. those where demo's, and mixed programs on the dvd's with over 4gb of data on the dvd.
and its not only me that have this problem..... where i work, several clients returned there sony dvd-burner because of this problem.
yesterday i contacted Sony Support here in my country, and guess what :they know about this problem also...and theu stopped delivering drives for this year and all drives that has been sold of this serie and revision , must returned. the problem is that it cannot always possitioning correctly the header/ laser when burning a full DVD-r, and the end index cannot be writing correctly into the buffer from the dvd-r.
also thats explain why it can take almost 1 hour to burn a full dvd-r, and give most problems after 82% of writing data. (complete dvd)
so we hope the next burners we will recieve in this country, solved these problems... Sony start delivering about 15 januari again...
lets hope :)

:D
techno
Buffer Underrun

Postby boblx2 on Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:50 am

It's funny that this is the first negative thing I have heard about the Sony other then my complaint that it would not burn Ritek 4X discs at 4X. It burns them at 2X on the two drives I tested. That is the only thing I have found wrong. We have made no coasters with the Sony. We have however used mostly +R media. Why would you use -R when +R burns at 2.4X? I guess just because you can. But 1X is too slow on a drive that will burn at 2.4X.
I heard that this was just a +R drive that Sony converted to -R so this problem is understandable.
Now the A05 was another story, I have burned nothing but coasters with it. Like your story, it would say it was succesfull but nothing would read the DVD. Then along came the Ritek 4X, A05 burned them perfect, Sony burned them at 2X! But most users did not have this problem so I suspected it to be a local problem.

Have fun.........Bob
boblx2
CD-RW Player

Return to DVD Writers