Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can't copy CD to hard drive.

Anything else

Can't copy CD to hard drive.

Postby E.Richard Roberts 3rd. on Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:14 am

I have 2 CD's that are copies and have been able to install their contents to my hard drive and run the apps. In tring to burn copies of them I get an error that doesn't allow me to burn them.

I thought,OK, I will copy the entire CD,using copy and paste,to my hard drive and then burn their contents back to a CD. The right clock and copy starts to copy all the contents to a folder on the hard and then stops with a ( can't copy DOS something ) error. In checking the hard drive, I have a folder made and partial contents of what was on the CD.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

PS: I have cleaned the CD's and do not see any scratches on them.
E.Richard Roberts 3rd.

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:36 pm

We need more details. What exactly are the discs you are trying to copy? What exactly is the error message? What is the name of the file being copied when the operation fails? What OS are you using? How much free space is on your hard drive?

Without knowing more details, I would suggest running CD Speed's Scan Disc and CD Quality Checks to make sure that the CD itself doesn't have any physical defects. It could be possible that there are defective areas on the CD-R's but that the typical installation of the software doesn't touch those areas so it proceeds without problems. There is also a good chance that the original CD's had some form of copy protection on them, and you will need a program such as CloneCD, BlindWrite or Alcohol 120% to copy them.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re:Can't copy to hard Drive

Postby E.Richard Roberts 3rd. on Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:17 pm

I have downloaded Clone CD and it made a complete burn Fine. Have been using Nero 5.5.9. You mentioned ( CD Speed's Scan and CD Quality Checks ). Where do I get these as I am sure they will be invaluable for doing just the things you talked about.
Thanks.
E.Richard Roberts 3rd.

Re:Can't copy to hard Drive

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:21 pm

E.Richard Roberts 3rd. wrote:You mentioned ( CD Speed's Scan and CD Quality Checks ). Where do I get these as I am sure they will be invaluable for doing just the things you talked about.
Thanks.

www.cdspeed2000.com
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to General Software Questions