Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Scanning/Photo Editing Software

Anything else

Scanning/Photo Editing Software

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Dec 26, 2002 3:28 pm

I just got a Memorex Mem 48u 48-Bit Scanner for Christmas. It came with Ulead Photo Express and I was wondering if there was any software that would be better than that for scanning photo's and editing them and also won't set me back a fortune. However, I have used a bundled version of MGI Photo Suite with my old Visioneer 5300 36-Bit Scanner and it was easy to use but didn't have too many features. I'm open to any suggestions on scanning and photo editing software that is compatible with Windows XP.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Action Jackson on Thu Dec 26, 2002 5:55 pm

How much editing do you want to do?

I have Photoshop 5.0 and I use maybe 5 or 10% of it's capacity.

I've read that Photoshop Elements was a pretty good deal, giving the user the essentials but without the cost.

If you are a student [or I suppose look like one], you might be able to find a computer store on a University/College campus that will give you a student discount [meaning no tech support or manual] which usually means Academic or Educational editions/versions.
Last edited by Action Jackson on Thu Dec 26, 2002 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby Mr. Belvedere on Thu Dec 26, 2002 9:43 pm

Personally i'm more fond of Paint Shop Pro
Information is neutral. It is only evil or disgusting to clueless twists that don't know how to use it to their advantage.

Opinion used as evidence is not enough to refute fact. Sometimes it's just FUD.
Mr. Belvedere
Buffer Underrun

Postby Matt on Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:52 am

I've used adobe photoshop (way over kill for basic editing) jasc paintshop pro (nice but not cheap) and ulead photoimpact (not as expensive but less intiutive to use.

If you want to try something unique and completely free try downloading the Gimp. http://www.gimp.org

It's GPL open source software so its free to download and distribute as long as you include the original source. I've used it a few times, the different user interface takes some getting used to but its very powerful and free of course :)
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:26 pm

Matt wrote:If you want to try something unique and completely free try downloading the Gimp. http://www.gimp.org

It's GPL open source software so its free to download and distribute as long as you include the original source. I've used it a few times, the different user interface takes some getting used to but its very powerful and free of course :)

hey, isn't that for Linux only?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:28 pm

Nope. They have a version for Windows too. Although I have to admit that the user interface is a little unfamiliar for someone who only uses Windows.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:46 pm

gott try it...
gonna try it... :wink:
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron