Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Symantec Ghost 7.0

Anything else

Symantec Ghost 7.0

Postby Spazmogen on Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:53 pm

I used Ghost 7.0 to back up my entire C: drive (7gb). It took 11, 80 minute discs but I got it all.

1) Has anyone used Ghost successfully?

2) Does it rename all of your files to the DOS 8.3 format? It seems to be a DOS program that runs fine in Win98SE.

3) I tested my discs after I was done, and this is what occurred on all of them! Note the very beginning.

It seems to be ok, but I hope I'll never need to use it!

All 11 discs start out the same.

The discs are 16x PNY (Digital Storage Technology) that are Smart Burn rated @ 40x. I've confirmed 40x is 100% error free when burned in CloneCD & Nero. Ghost is proving to be another matter.

Any thoughts on this?

I tried it a second time with cheap unbraded generic blanks. Same result.

Obviously, Ghost affects the burn quality of the disc. But there's no way to control the burn speed in Ghost.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby casey on Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:22 am

Hi there,
I use and have used Ghost 6.5, 7 & 2003.
Have made and burned at least a 100 Ghost images to CDR & CDRW.
Always verify the image after burning.
I have restored lots of these images (from CDR & CDRW) and have never had a failure af any kind yet.
Last 2 years.
Superb program.
casey
CD-RW Thug

Postby Spazmogen on Sun Jan 05, 2003 10:04 am

casey wrote:Hi there,
I use and have used Ghost 6.5, 7 & 2003.
Have made and burned at least a 100 Ghost images to CDR & CDRW.
Always verify the image after burning.
I have restored lots of these images (from CDR & CDRW) and have never had a failure af any kind yet.
Last 2 years.
Superb program.

Casey:
Thanks for the reply.

Does it take long names from Win98 and convert them to 8.3 (DOS) format even after a restore?

I figured it has to be easier to restore an entire disk (11 cd's) than to reinstall everything from scratch.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby casey on Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:01 am

Spazmogen
As far as I can tell, the only filename that is limited to 8+3 is the actual Ghost Image file name. I don't think Ghost changes the filenames to the 8+3 Dos format, cause if you open the Image file in Ghost Explorer it is a 100% exact copy of the contents of the hard drive, long filenames and all. A quicker way of putting the image on cd's (if you have a writer and or a second harddrive or partition) is to first make a image file in Dos (to the 2 nd drive or partition & use maximum compression which will compress 1.28 gig down to 700mb) verify the image in dos and reboot to Windows.
THEN open the Image in Ghost Explorer and split it up in smaller images of 700mb (say the image size is 2.1 gig split it up 3x 700mb and burn it to CD in windows with Nero or ECDC) this way you will not get those funny looking graphs !! I have made at least 150 images to cd this way (make a image of every system I build for clients) make the first cd bootable and youre ready to go.
After you have burned the image in Windows, boot with the first CD (the bootable one) and verify it Ghost (DOS)
I have never had a failure doing it this way.
You do know that in Windows you can add or remove files/folders from the image JUST NOT PROGRAM OR SYSTEM FILES ! and also restore sections from the image, for instance your personal data. if you need any futher assistance you can mail me or through the forum.
casey
CD-RW Thug

Re: Symantec Ghost 7.0

Postby DawnLoader on Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:42 am

Spazmogen wrote:I used Ghost 7.0 to back up my entire C: drive (7gb). It took 11, 80 minute discs but I got it all.

1) Has anyone used Ghost successfully?

2) Does it rename all of your files to the DOS 8.3 format? It seems to be a DOS program that runs fine in Win98SE.

3) I tested my discs after I was done, and this is what occurred on all of them! Note the very beginning.

It seems to be ok, but I hope I'll never need to use it!

All 11 discs start out the same.

The discs are 16x PNY (Digital Storage Technology) that are Smart Burn rated @ 40x. I've confirmed 40x is 100% error free when burned in CloneCD & Nero. Ghost is proving to be another matter.

Any thoughts on this?

I tried it a second time with cheap unbraded generic blanks. Same result.

Obviously, Ghost affects the burn quality of the disc. But there's no way to control the burn speed in Ghost.

I just save the image on a second HD. Very fast in save and restore. Takes me about 10 minutes.
DawnLoader
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:21 pm

Thanks.

I actually found some instructions on how to use Ghost (real DOS mode) with the command line switches.

I did a combination, I put the image on the 2nd HDD, but set Ghost to split the image @ 700mb as it was being made. Then I used Nero to burn them @ 52x. I also enabled high compression. Its much better now.

Thanks for your help!
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions