Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Forum problems

Need help with the website? Have feedback? Post it here.

Forum problems

Postby glock20rocks on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:01 pm

Hi guys, anyone else getting this:

phpBB : Critical Error

Error creating new session

It's happened a few times in the last couple of days. Too many people on at once, I presume...
glock20rocks

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:20 pm

I've seen it a few times also. It seems to resolve itself within a minute or two when I do encounter it.

By the way, this thread is probably more suited to the "Feedback" forum.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Ian on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:26 pm

Yeah, we know about it. It's a known problem with phpBB. Just too many people using the forum. :o
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:42 pm

The forum's popularity is growing! :D

I wonder how it was back on Nov 30th when 133 people were logged in at the same time.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby glock20rocks on Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:45 pm

cfitz wrote:By the way, this thread is probably more suited to the "Feedback" forum.
cfitz

D'oh! Hey Ian, can you move this please :)
glock20rocks

Postby glock20rocks on Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:09 pm

:evil: This seems to be happening ALOT more now. I tried for 2 hours to get on this thing today! :evil:
glock20rocks

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Jan 18, 2003 12:03 pm

Ian wrote:Yeah, we know about it. It's a known problem with phpBB. Just too many people using the forum. :o

weird.
first time this happens to me.
when i did manage to log in a minute later, there were only 3 users online (including me)!
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby socheat on Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:51 pm

Apologies to everyone who has experienced this problem, especially glock20rocks. 2 hours is completely unacceptable :(

It has more to do with the length of a session. When you sign on, you start up a session, which gets stored in the phpBB session table. To make it fast, it uses the MySQL table type HEAP (table is created in memory). This table is far smaller than the normal MyISAM MySQL table. The default session timeout length is an hour, which means the row will sit in that table for about an hour before it's deleted. SO, we could hit that limit in an hour, even though not that many people are currently logged on. There are also ways to have multiple entries for yourself in the session table... I'm not quite sure how this affects (or is effected by) people who check the "Automatically log me in" box.

We've just implemented a fix for this problem. If this error occurs, it will automatically delete the oldest 50 sessions. If somehow you happen to be 1 of those 50 (walked away for a bit, typing a novel for the forums, etc) all that means is you'll have to log back in again. So I guess if you ARE typing a novel, better copy your post before hitting submit!

If, even after this fix, you get this error repeatedly, and it takes more than 15 minutes to finally get in each time, please let me know, and we'll look into a more aggressive solution.

Socheat
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:31 am

Please don't take this the wrong way, but phpBB can support a board with a lot users. They are running it over at www.vcdhelp.com, and don't seem to be having any troubles even though they have an order of magnitude more users than CDRLabs. Their search function works fine, there aren't any mis-dated posts from upgrades, and I've never experienced the new session error there. So don't give up. It can be done.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby socheat on Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:52 am

That is very true, but remember it's not just the software that makes the site run. They could have much better hardware than us, or they may have implemented the phpBB fix I just put in a lot sooner. Or they may have had immediate backups to fix problems that arose, without users even knowing. :-? Who knows. Though, I will say I've gotten this sessions error problem a couple times on the phpBB.com forums a long while ago.

I think the broken CDRLabs forums had a little to do with the fact we upgraded from RC3 straight to 2.0.3, though that's just pure speculation. Perhaps a more incremental approach would've been better, since there were some mighty big changes betwen 2.0.0 RC3 and 2.0.3. But, it was definately our fault (mine, to be exact) that we didn't have a recent backup of the phpBB forums before upgrading. :oops: Nothing can be done about the mis-dated posts now, but the search function can, and will, be fixed. Just need to find a little more time to get it done. :D

Socheat
socheat
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:24 pm

Okay, thanks. In the meantime I will click a few more ad banners in the hopes of paying for better hardware. :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:44 am

error
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:58 am

cfitz wrote:In the meantime I will click a few more ad banners in the hopes of paying for better hardware. :D

Does any of the banners load up for you guys? All I see is the name of the company and the pic is not available when I select properties.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:17 pm

Yes, they load for me just fine. You don't have ad-filtering software enabled, do you?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:09 pm

cfitz wrote:Yes, they load for me just fine. You don't have ad-filtering software enabled, do you?

I don't believe I have any ad-filtering software. As I type this now, I can see some of the banners (like the Marcan one), while others are still "not available". This is the only site I have problems with the banners, so I'm not sure what is up. But I will continue to click on them to help out CDRLabs.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:46 am

I still think you've got some sort of filtering software running. The symptoms you describe fit perfectly.

Ads like Marcan's are served directly from the cdrlabs domain:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/images/marcan-december.gif

Thus, they would sneak through unsophisticated ad filters.

Meanwhile, ads like those for ULead GIF Animator are served from remote ad servers:

http://www.qksrv.net/click-784928-5675730

These are more easily blocked.

Do you see replacement text that looks like this:

[Ulead GIF Animator]

If so, and putting it together with everything else you've reported, it sure smells like ad-blocking software to me. Does "Proxomitron" sound familiar?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby BuddhaTB on Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:12 am

cfitz wrote:If so, and putting it together with everything else you've reported, it sure smells like ad-blocking software to me. Does "Proxomitron" sound familiar?

I think you are right about that. While tracing back to the last thing I installed on my computer, I realized that I had installed Kazaa Lite not too long ago. I'm guessing Kazaa Lite probably had some sort of ad blocking software in it like Proxomitron since one of the features of it was spyware/adware blocking. Thanks for the help cfitz.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Matt on Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:17 pm

Kazaa lite shouldn't have anything but Kazaa stripped of all the spyware crap?
Matt
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Thu Jan 23, 2003 9:17 pm

Matt wrote:Kazaa lite shouldn't have anything but Kazaa stripped of all the spyware crap?

True, but it might have installed a program to block out ads. I'm not really too sure as I swear I haven't installed any ad blocking software on my computer like Proxomitron.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Return to Feedback and Help