Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Installing Nero 5.5 on PC with older version of Nero 5.1

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Installing Nero 5.5 on PC with older version of Nero 5.1

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:21 am

Hi, I have a PC that I just installed a new 48x24x48x Liteon CDRW, and the OEM Nero 5.1 on the Windows ME OS.

Now I'm thinking of installing a second 52x24x52x Liteon CDRW on the same PC, and I want to install the retail version of Nero 5.5 that I will buy this week.

What's the best (and cleanest) way to manage this setup?

a) Install Nero 5.5 in the machine, in a separate directory, and continue to use both versions of Nero 5.5;

b) uninstall the OEM Nero 5.1, and install Nero 5.5 to burn from both CDRW's (I'm OCD, I need to be sure that there will be NO conflicts, and that the Windows ME registry stays clean as possible).

c) reformat the hard drive, start over with Windows ME, and then install Nero 5.5 for both CDRW drives...

Thanks for your advice!!
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:26 am

Choice b) is your best bet. Choice a) isn't really possible and will likely cause you troubles, since each installation will stomp on the other's registry settings. And you weren't seriously considering choice c), were you?? :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:35 am

Thanks!!

LOL, I'm really picky about performance, so if choice B wasn't acceptable, I would do choice C ;)

But I'm going to do it the easy way and go with choice B.

Thanks!!!

PS - I'm hoping to be able to create VCD's with Nero 5.5, as it's one of the main reasons I want the upgraded software. I bought some cheapo SmartDisk MVP at Walmart, but read on CNet that most users don't like it. So I'm hoping Nero 5.5 will do the job for me :)
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:54 am

There were some versions of Nero in the 5.5.9.14 timeframe that couldn't burn VCDs properly:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 4622#34622

Ahead fixed the problem with 5.5.9.17. Hopefully it is still fixed, although there are no guarantees. Ahead has some history of releasing versions of Nero that seemingly have more bugs than fixes and that break things that used to work. The VCD bug of which I speak is one such example. It wasn't there in 5.5.8.2 or so and lower, got introduced sometime in the 5.5.9.9 ~ 5.5.9.14 timeframe, and then went away again in 5.5.9.17 as described. And the most current 5.5.10.0 version has apparently broken some things that used to work, according to this post:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8185

If I were you I would stay at 5.5.9.17 and skip the 5.5.10.0 upgrade.

A nice, free alternative for making VCDs is vcdeasy at www.vcdeasy.org.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Nero's Vision Express:

http://www.ahead.de/en/content/c1020783351250.html

It is specifically designed to burn VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs. I don't know if it is included on your retail Nero disc, but you can download it and use it for free if you have a valid copy of Nero. However, MPEG2 encoder plugins required to create SVCDs and DVDs if your source material is not already encoded are not free.

Finally, don't forget to peruse the wealth of information on VCDs, SVCDs, DVDs, DivX, etc. over at www.vcdhelp.com .

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby UALOneKPlus on Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:07 am

WOW!! :o

There is so MUCH information. Thanks a lot, cfitz!! :D

Going to the world of VCD's and DVDs is like drinking water from a fire hose.

I thought I knew a lot about burning CD-R's, but VCD's and DVD's are so much more intricate and complex. I'm going to be studying the info you've provided for a while, I hope to get up to speed very quickly.

Thanks again!
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Mon Jan 20, 2003 1:19 am

I would go for choice b). I'm not familiar with 5.1, but after uninstalling it, I would also remove C:\Program Files\Ahead and all Ahead entries in the registry. Several users were happy after using RegCleaner from

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/shtml/regcleaner.shtml

Also don't forget to download the Nero Language file (needed for help) from www.ahead.de.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby UALOneKPlus on Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:52 pm

Ok, I finally stopped procrastinating and bought a serial # for my OEM Nero. It was version 5.5.8 or something, sorry for my mistake earlier.

When I entered the serial # into my OEM Nero, it still wouldn't recognize my new Buslink LiteOn 52x24x52x CDRW. So I uninstalled the OEM Nero version, and then installed the demo version from Nero.com.

After punching in the serial #, I was able to access both of my CDRW's on the PC.

I'm really impressed with the response time from Nero - only about 15 minutes before I got the serial #. As a precaution I burned a CD-R with the demo file and the serial # just in case I need to reinstall it.

I also downloaded Nero Vision Express, and am going to try to create VCDs of my photos.

-----------

On another topic, how come my Easy CD Creator version 4.05 doesn't require serial # registration? I've been able to use an OEM version for my Teac USB 1.1 CDRW, my 12x10x32x Cendyne/Lite On CDRW, and other CDRW's that I've bought and tried?

Incidentaly, the Cendyne 12x CDRW was bought in 4/2001, and it cost $129 at CostCo, and had the burn-proof feature. Amazing how much cost has gone down! The Cendyne was meant to be used with Nero, as it came with Nero 5.0. However, I was lazy, and use the already installed EasyCD Creator 4.05 on my PC with it, without ANY problems! I love Lite-Ons :P
UALOneKPlus
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:09 pm

i'm curious.
what is exactly Nero Vision Express?
is there anything in it that is not in the regular Nero?
or is it just a downsized Nero, like the Nero Express, but downsized in another direction?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:20 pm

dodecahedron wrote:i'm curious.
what is exactly Nero Vision Express?
is there anything in it that is not in the regular Nero?
or is it just a downsized Nero, like the Nero Express, but downsized in another direction?

It's for creating VCDs/SVCDs/DVDs.

It's free to download and use if you have a copy of Nero 5.5:

http://www.nero.com/en/content/download.html#nve

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:41 pm

thanks cfitz.
but i knew that.
what i meant was: is there any functionality in Nero Vision Express that is not available in the regular Nero?

in the Nero Express, for example, there's nothing that is not in the regular Nero. just a simpler GUI.
i was wondering if it's the same with the Vision Express?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:04 am

Nero Vision Express is a completely separate program, and does include functionality not included in Nero. It isn't like Nero Express which is just a different interface to Nero. (Nero and Nero Express are actually the same program. Depending on the serial number you use, either only the Express inteface is exposed or both are.)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:02 am

ok last question:
the regular Nero does let you create VCDs, SVCDs and presumably if you have a DVD burner (i don't) DVDs too.
so what's the difference between them?
what's the difference say between createing a VCD on Nero or on Nero Vision Express?
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:48 am

Compared to regular Nero, Vision Express adds the ability to capture video directly from a supported device, (capture card, digital video camera, etc.), edit your video slightly (trim it), and customize the menu system for your video with more options. Unfortunately, it drops the ability to burn SVCDs and DVDs unless you purchase the add-on mpeg-2 encoder pack. :( With regular Nero, even if you don't purchase the mpeg-2 encoder pack, you can still burn these types of video formats as long as you already have a valid mpeg-2 file.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for Vision Express if it wasn't free. Maybe that's why it is. :wink:

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:48 pm

thanks for the explanations, cfitz! :D
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)