Home News Reviews Forums Shop

InCD Cd-rw Format

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD Cd-rw Format

Postby aznjosh on Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:46 pm

ok, i just bought a 5 pack of TDK 4x-10x 80min 700mb cd-rw's and InCD formated one. Now my cd-rw is only 572mb's big...... what happened? and, how do i create music cd's with a cd-rw? do i just drag music files into it and the cd player can play it?
aznjosh
Buffer Underrun

Re: InCD Cd-rw Format

Postby cfitz on Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:09 pm

aznjosh wrote:ok, i just bought a 5 pack of TDK 4x-10x 80min 700mb cd-rw's and InCD formated one. Now my cd-rw is only 572mb's big...... what happened?

The rest of the disc's capacity was used for filesystem overhead to allow you to packet write to the disc. Packet writing software such as InCD allows you to drag and drop files to the CD-RW disc as if it was a big floppy disc. However, packet written discs are not compatible with ordinary CD players.

aznjosh wrote:how do i create music cd's with a cd-rw? do i just drag music files into it and the cd player can play it?

No. If you want to create a regular CD audio disc that a regular CD player can play, you need to shut down InCD, start Nero, choose to make a new Audio CD compilation, then select your tracks and burn the CD-RW disc just as you would any CD-R disc. Of course, you will need to erase your CD-RW disc now that you have already formatted it for InCD. You can either do that before you start to burn your audio compilation by choosing "Recorder"->"Erase Rewritable...", or during the burn process when Nero asks you. (Nero will ask you if you want to erase or switch media if you attempt to burn a non-empty CD-RW disc.)

Some CD players, particularly older players, have a hard time playing CD-RW discs since their reflectivity is not as good as CD-R discs.

One thing to keep in mind is that CD-RW does not equal packet writing. You can do packet writing to CD-RW discs or CD-R discs (although InCD doesn't allow you to packet write to CD-R), and you can write CD audio or ISO-9660 data CDs on either CD-R or CD-RW. You don't have to use packet writing to write to a CD-RW disc.

In general, the two concepts (CD-R vs. CD-RW and packet writing vs. "normal" writing) are independent.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aznjosh on Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:20 pm

got it, now, i'll create an audio cd with my cd-rw. i read that to do this nero finalizes the cd-rw so that the cd player can read it. how can i break the finalization to add new songs?
aznjosh
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)