Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem with Sony CRX195E1 (Liteon 40125S)

Burn baby burn!

Problem with Sony CRX195E1 (Liteon 40125S)

Postby Ice Man on Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:10 am

Dudes, I have a Sony CRX195E1 40/12/48 burner firmware ZYS5 which comes as part of the equipment. (It is an OEM Lite-on 40125S as claimed by Sony as well as CDRLabs, CDRInfo forums).

Recently, especially while writing videos of Friends or music videos on CD-R, the later portions of the discs seem to get ruined. The occur no buffer underruns or reported read or burn errors. The disc claims to burn successfully and eject. Even its file system and TOC are good, but the videos are not viewable. WM9 is unable to open them.

I have tried authoring new discs as well as cloning discs with the same data (which I sent to someone else to burn and return). Each gives the same problem. I have used CloneCD, Alcohol 120%, and Nero BurningROM (all registered versions). I have also used Imation 48x, Sony 40x, Amkette 40x and Princo 48x media. This is beginning to mystify me a little. I had seen this happen once long ago with a 700MB divx I had burnt for a friend but the disc had finally worked only had trouble reading. I now have turned out six or seven such discs in the past week.

This is most unusual as I have used the drive to burn at least 200 discs by now and it has to my knowledge not created a single coaster in the true sense. Do you have any idea why this is occurring and what I should do to rectify it? Things I have to still try are:
1. Trying other media
2. Using Liteon VS08 firmware (approved by Sony as well as forums)
3. Cleaning the lens with a drive cleaning disc
4. Trying various burn methods (DAO SAO DAO96 etc.)

However, I still do not see why the discs should not burn perfectly. Reply soon with opinions or if you want further information.
Ice Man
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:33 pm

dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 22, 2003 1:41 pm

Right then, we'll let CDFreaks handle this one. They are already off to a good start. :D

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby rodheb on Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:38 pm

Well, your problem sounds "kind of" similar to one that I had. I was burning Divx files to CD-R using Roxio. I had burnt quite a few, and started getting an error every so often. I remember having one that succeeded in burning, and later tried to copy it, and it couldn't be read by most readers. I finally got one to read. I didn't know what was causing it. I ended up re-installing Roxio, and life was good after that. Not sure if it was the aspi layer or what, but a reinstall of the cd writing software fixed it. Don't know if that'll help, but some of the symptoms sound the same.

It was a Sony 24X/10X/40X -- CRX175 retail -- if that helps.

--RodHeb
"Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
-- unknown author
rodheb
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ice Man on Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:10 pm

So now that I am thoroughly dissatisfied with the replies I have got elsewhwere could you guys take it upon yourselves to try and assist? I posted at multiple forums since this problem is a rather strange occurrence. I seem to have excluded most of the possible problems by now and then asked for help... all in a span of a couple of days. So gimme a break and rescue me here?
Ice Man
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:11 pm

What are you burning? VCDs? SVCDs? With what software are you authoring them? With what software are you burning them?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:24 pm

Here is some more homework:

Burn a copy of one of the problematic discs to a Nero .nrg image file, then mount that file with Nero's Image Drive software. Attempt to play the mounted virtual CD. Do this using both the original authoring files as the source and one of the bad CDs as a source (in the first case creating a new CD image from scratch, in the second copying the image of the physical CD-R that is giving your problems). Tells us what you find.

Test the bad CD with CDSpeed (both scan disc and CD quality tests) and CD Doctor (you can download it here: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5549#45549 ) and post the results for us to see.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives