Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which to keep: Lite-On 16x DVD or Teac 24x10x40 CDRW

Burn baby burn!

Which to keep: Lite-On 16x DVD or Teac 24x10x40 CDRW

Postby Infinity on Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:31 pm

Well, I finally broke down and got a DVD-R drive (Pioneer DVR-105). There is just one problem, I need to make room for the drive in the computer tower. So that means either removing my Teac 24x CDRW drive or my Lite-On 16x DVD drive. The Pioneer DVD-R will do what both of these two other drives can do (write cd-r, read dvd). So which one would be better to keep? The Teac can write CD-R's a bit faster than the new Pioneer DVR-105, so thats one advantage. But 16x vs 24x isn't that big a difference. The Lite-On can probably read normal cd's faster than the Teac.... Any opinions?
Infinity
CD-RW Thug

Postby vbl117 on Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:04 pm

Perhaps you plan to burn audio cd ( 36X DAE average for Lite-On ) or DVD on the fly so you should use the Lite-On ? Plus Lite-On drives can read 90 and 99 Minutes cd whereas Teac drives have problem to read them ( i don't know if your pioneer can burn 90 and 99 Mn cd ) . Lite-On drives can copy better protected cd ( Teac drives are awful for copying protected cd ) .

On the other hand Teac drives have a good writing quality ( i don't know pioneer writing quality for cd ) .

Both Teac and Lite-On drives have good access times . :D

If i was you i would keep the Lite-On DVD ROM drive but i am not you and since i have made a small review on a Lite-On DVD ROM drive i am not objective .
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Infinity on Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. As far as burning cd/dvds on the fly, I usually make an iso first, so that isnt much of an issue. Same goes with 90/99min cd - 80 min works fine for me. One thing I wasn't aware of was Lite-On being better with copy protected cds. The main thing keeping me toward the Teac is the quite factor (Lite-On is somewhat noisy), plus having a backup cd-r. But the copy protection might be beneficial. Anyone know how the Pioneer DVR-105 compares to the Lite-On DVD in terms of quality/speed in making iso's of DVDs?
Infinity
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:33 am

i would use the DVD burner for just that - burning DVDs, so i would keep the Lite-On for reading DVDs and the Teac for CDs.

i would get a new case.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Pioneer : poor copying abilities

Postby vbl117 on Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:07 am

Pioneer A05 is slow ( 1 hour for safedisk vXX :evil: in the test ) at copying protections whereas Lite-On LTD-163 is good and fast in copying protections ( it can handle much higher protections than Pioneer ) .
Using your Pioneer to copy protection shouldn't be wise .

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Article ... 5&index=10

http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Article ... l1&index=5
vbl117
CD-RW Player

Postby Guzo on Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:11 pm

i have ltd-163 and teac cd-w524e

I use lite-on for reading in general
but when it comes to DAE than I use teac, lite-on produced some strange cracks once, and teac never.
Lite-on is noisy, teac is silent.

Well I sometimes copy on the fly 24× on the same channel
when I know that disc is good.
Guzo
CD-RW Thug

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives