Home News Reviews Forums Shop

More RIAA B.S.

General discussion. Come introduce yourself. Talk about whataver you want!

More RIAA B.S.

Postby glock20rocks on Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:15 pm

Just what the title says:

http://www.tomshardware.com/technews/20 ... 02546.html

Hope you're not using Kazaa/Limewire/etc.
glock20rocks

Postby cfitz on Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:42 am

Yeah, I heard that on the car radio as I was driving to work. The RIAA couldn't catch me because I don't download copyrighted music, but their arrogance and the way they seem to have the legistlatures and courts in their hands is very distressing nonetheless. America: a government of, by and for the big business corporations. :x

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:24 am

I used to use kazaa a little, but it caused some weird interactions with my hard drives. Besides, I'd rather just go buy the cd and have the thing.
Better quality.
glock20rocks

Postby BuddhaTB on Fri Jan 24, 2003 1:40 am

glock20rocks wrote:Besides, I'd rather just go buy the cd and have the thing.
Better quality.

Most music CD's now a days have only a few good songs on it and the rest filler. The music industry really needs to do something about lowering the price of music CD's. Even if the price of a CD was $5, music artist and bands would still be making millions and they would even sell more albums too. As for myself, I would only buy a music CD if the price is really good, I support the band, or its so good that I can listen through the entire CD.

The RIAA can suck it! :evil:
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 25, 2003 12:19 am

Maybe this will lead to some good news (but I really doubt it):

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/theb ... 0123.shtml

Hilary Rose, CEO of RIAA and leader of the charge to deprive us of our fair use rights and turn America into a police state for the benefit of corporate media conglomerates, will be resigning her position at the end of 2003. Any chance we can get all of the cockroaches at RIAA to quit?

I personally wish her all the worst in her future endeavors.

What is it about women named Hilary? :-?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby glock20rocks on Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:28 pm

cfitz wrote:What is it about women named Hilary? :-?
cfitz

:P :D :) :D :P :D :) :D

ROTFLMAO!!
glock20rocks

Postby cfitz on Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:58 am

From the pot/kettle/black file, we have this:

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/artic ... ews=113276

The supreme court threw out Mattel's request to renew a frivolous lawsuit over Aqua's "Barbie Girl" song. In general I think the supreme court did the right thing in turning down Mattel's farcical request to reopen the case. But that doesn't mean I am on MCA's side. What I find sickening is the hypocritical behavior of MCA (an RIAA member). "MCA ... calls the song a parody protected by the First Amendment."

How interesting. When media companies are on the infringing side of the table, their actions are "fair use" and protected by constitutional rights. But when media companies are on the infringed side of the table, the concept of fair use goes right out the window, and any use of copyrighted material not specifically authorized by the copyright holder becomes a criminal act.

How long do you imagine you could post portions of the Aqua song on the web, in the form of a parody, before you got a cease and desist letter from MCA?

Do as I say, not as I do...

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to The Beer Garden