Home News Reviews Forums Shop

does high speed burning

Burn baby burn!

does high speed burning

Postby TheOverClocker on Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:03 pm

affect playback in different types of cd players. Do i have to burn music at slwoer speeds in order for these players to play the cd.
TheOverClocker
CD-RW Thug

Postby Han on Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:59 pm

Yes, it does. The higher the speed, more jitter you get. But it's not just speed (4x is recommended). For best results you have to use high quality media and a good recorder.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Jan 25, 2003 7:36 pm

I think it really depends on your CD-RW drive, the media, and the CD player. People have gotten mixed results. I've burned numerous audio CD's from 32x-48x and they sound exactly like the original copy. However, if you're having problems with the playback and get jitters or strange sounds, I would lower the burn speed to 4x. Make to use some very good media like Taiyo Yuden when burning though.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby TheOverClocker on Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:45 pm

not really jitters or anything like that. I burned a cd for my girlfriend and she can play it in her car but she cant play it in her mothers car. qwould lowering the speed correct this? Thanks
TheOverClocker
CD-RW Thug

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Jan 25, 2003 8:56 pm

TheOverClocker wrote:not really jitters or anything like that. I burned a cd for my girlfriend and she can play it in her car but she cant play it in her mothers car. qwould lowering the speed correct this? Thanks

In the case you just mentioned, changing the burning speed of the CD would not solve the problem. The problem is the CD player. Some OEM car CD players will play CD-R's, while others will not. For example, audio CD's that I have burned, have played successfully in my parent's 2000 Camry, but when I tried playing it on my friend's 2001 Camry, the CD would not play. It just means some CD players don't support the CD-R format. To solve the problem would require getting an aftermarket CD head unit for the car. Ones from Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, Clarion, Alpine, and etc. will play CD-R's.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby taxman150 on Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:31 pm

Is it o.k. to read the audio cd's at higher than 4X (if I'm not burning "on the fly") and then burn at 4X or do you have to both read and burn at 4X for maximum audio quality?

If I burn a cd at 48X for example, and then run the disc quality tests on CD Speed and find no errors, does this mean that there will be no problems with jitter, etc. or can there still be problems reading the cd in a cd player even though there are no errors detected because of the higher burn speed?

The reason I ask is that I'm going to primarily use my burner for burning audio cd's and was under the impression that I could read and write at up to 52x without any problems as long as I didn't detect any errors on the cd.

Thank you
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Jan 25, 2003 11:25 pm

taxman150 wrote:If I burn a cd at 48X for example, and then run the disc quality tests on CD Speed and find no errors, does this mean that there will be no problems with jitter, etc. or can there still be problems reading the cd in a cd player even though there are no errors detected because of the higher burn speed?

As I stated before, there still can be problems reading the CD in a CD player even if there are no errors. Not all CD players read/support CD-R disc. It all depends on the laser in the CD player. Most of the newer CD players do support CD-R disc. If you want a CD player that plays audio burned onto CD-R's, I would suggest getting a Sony player.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby BillyG on Sun Jan 26, 2003 2:28 am

Some car stereos are very finicky with CD-Rs, the older the CD player is the chances are it will have trouble reading them. Experiment with different brands and if you find a brand that works with it stick with it.

My freinds stock Ford Mustang (I think its a 1997-8 model) CD unit would only play Mistumi, Kodak, CMC or Ritek CD-R's with yellow/ink coating. It would skip badly or wouldnt play any with a blue (Verbatim) or green ink (Tayio Uden) coating.

I have a Pioneer CD player in my car ('95 thunderbird) that I bought in 1999 and its worked great with all CD-R and CD-RW media.
BillyG
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Sun Jan 26, 2003 6:17 am

To my experience, SilverGold or pure Gold media work best in sensitive players. Where all the others fail, MITSUI (now branded as MAM) CDRs play well.

Regarding higher ripping speed: this could affect only the quality of the song. Some drives don't rip music very accurately at higher speeds, especially when discs are badly scratched or dirty...
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives