Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Lite-On 52x24x52x media problems

Burn baby burn!

Lite-On 52x24x52x media problems

Postby AverageJoe on Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:58 am

I know this has been talked to death, but I seem to be having a problem. I recently bought 150 Philips/CMC 80min 48X cd's and no matter what I try I can't get them to burn with my Lite-On LTR-52246S. Here's what happens when I run Nero CD Speed:

I've burned imation cd-r's in the past without a problem. I have the latest nero and have the 6S0A firmware. Anyone have any ideas?
AverageJoe
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:20 am

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/webfw/LTR-52246S/R526S0C.zip is the latest firmware out for the drive.

I've been running it for a day and have not noticed any difference. Perhaps your discs have been added to the media information table.

I gather you get the same error when using Nero Burning Rom too?
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby AverageJoe on Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:02 pm

Thanks for the reply, and for the link for the new firmware (I checked it a week ago and thought I had the latest one :roll: ).

Problem is the firmware didn't fix the problem. I still get the same error with the media, and it happens with every burning program I have (Nero, CloneCD, and RecordNow MAX). When I try to actually burn a cd (as opposed to using Nero CD Speed) the burner will just keep spinning up and then slowing down. After about a half an hour I'm forced to reboot because I can't close the burner program (it'll hang). It always happens when the burner program says that it's burning the lead in.
AverageJoe
Buffer Underrun

Postby Spazmogen on Wed Jan 29, 2003 12:35 pm

Does it only hang with those discs?

Have you tried lowering the burning speed to about 32x to see if it'll work?
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby R. Aster on Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:50 pm

Average,

I got similar results with the same burner. Some data for you:

- The LiteOn with Nero would just say it was writing the lead-in and blink for many minutes
    - But Feurio! reported it was performing [Laser] Power Calibration
    - I was using Memorex 12x RW media (Actual maker not remembered)
    - Another disc in the same package worked OK, but overall these media stink

Net : it was bad media. Always switch to a different brand or at least different disc before worrying about all the harder stuff.
R. Aster, scanning the forums
R. Aster
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Wed Jan 29, 2003 3:17 pm

R. Aster wrote:Always switch to a different brand or at least different disc before worrying about all the harder stuff.

I would try some Fuji or Memorex disc made by Taiyo Yuden to see if the drive will burning any other disc like R. Aster stated. Always try some good media to see if it will work with your burner.

Also check out the Media Compatibility Thread for your Drive.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby AverageJoe on Wed Jan 29, 2003 7:51 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've tried all supported speeds, including 4x but none of them will burn. I can burn imation cd-r's without a problem, and I burn cd-rw's regularly without errors. It's probably just media incompatibility, but I bought 150 of these things because I got a great deal and the media compatibility thread lists philip 48x cd-r's burning at 40x without a problem. Guess I'll just have to give the philips cd-r's to some friends and pick up some better media :roll:
AverageJoe
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:12 pm

AverageJoe wrote:I can burn imation cd-r's without a problem, and I burn cd-rw's regularly without errors.

Wierd how your drive will burn Imations and not the Philips. They are both made by CMC. However, CMC has many different grades of CD's. You can tell that Imation CD's are a better product than the Philips CD's made from the same manufacture.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby AverageJoe on Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:26 am

Actually, I just found out it is a hardware error after all. After the philips not working I went out and bought the same brand imation cd's that I had burned successfully a few weeks back. Brought them home and I'm getting the same error as the philips. The weird thing is that I can still burn cd-rw's without a problem.

I think I know what caused it too. A few weeks ago I was burning a cd-r and for some reason I got an error. The system hung and the cd-r wouldn't eject, so I stuck a paperclip in the drive to get it out. I made sure the cd had stopped spinning before doing so, but when I opened it something made a grinding noise against the cd-r. Afterwards I burned a few cd-rw's and didn't think there was a problem.

I haven't burned a cd-r since then, only cd-rw's. Now I don't know what to do. I bought the drive from mwave.com the day it was released as a retail box, but of course by now I've thrown away the box and all the papers that came with it. Should I try to RMA it directly to lite-on or should I call up mwave and explain the problem?
AverageJoe
Buffer Underrun

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives