Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Memorex 52/24/52 CD-RW Quickie Preview

Burn baby burn!

Postby Shockr on Sun Jan 26, 2003 1:22 am

heh.. ok.. I just learned something about CD Speed.. apparently when you use blank CD-R(W)'s, it measures write speed rather than read.

So, in actuality, I'm achieving just shy of 32x WRITE (simulated) with this thing...

The READ test is where it should be. I think you're correct about the media.. the CDR I had loaded I believe is only a 16x.

I re-ran the test using the Nero Bundled disk that came with the drive.

READ results using a mixed data cd

Edit: Also re-ran the WRITE test with the bundled 52x CDR, the numbers were right where they should be.
Shockr
Buffer Underrun

Speed and Firmware

Postby Rich on Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:18 am

Hi,

I did a speed test bout a week ago and I believe it started writing at 24x, finished at 52x and averaged 39. something x. That was in an ADS brand Drive enclosure through a USB 2.0 to Cardbus adapter into my laptop.

I read over on a hotdeal thread at anandtech that someone had bought this Memorex drive and sucessfully flashed it with the Lite-on firmware. Is there any benefit to doing that? I'm as happy as I can be with it the way it is but I'm still curious.

I usually like to let firmwares sit a while to make sure they are ok.

Off topic I bought an Aiptek Pocket DV2 last wed and took it back to Compusa on Sun before the super bowl. It is a 4 in one Digital Video camera, still camera, web cam, and audio recorder. It was 'too' plastic, had toy like video quality though it was very sexy. It was 129 buckazoids and after only 4 days it got perminately hung on a message, "Please wait".

The lady at the cust serv counter started to deny the return since it was a camera and it could only be 'exchanged' if it was defective. The guy next to her told her to go ahead and I got my money back. Then she leaned over and told me in the future they don't normally refund cameras; but (she said) "we know these are flaky".

wow! :roll: kadzooks why are they selling them. Oh well. I'll keep waiting for the Logitech Quickcam for Notebooks Pro to land on shelves. I've been waiting 2 months.

laterz, Rich
Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:32 am

I'd wait for USB2.0 webcam!! ... there's only 2 models out & I'll wait some more. (no laptop models yet)
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

USB 2.0

Postby Rich on Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:00 am

What models? / by who?

Thankx, Rich
Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:33 am

Here's a nice USB2 website for U 8) http://www.usb-2-0.com/

... and the webcams http://www.usb-2-0.com/usb-2-0-web-cam.html

you can get this one...

...at Fry's for $69.99 :wink:

They also sell the OrangeM. model, but online only.
eliminator
CD-RW Player

ADS Camera

Postby Rich on Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:03 am

Thanks for the information. Unfortuneately we don't have Fry's in Hawaii. No BB either. We're stuck with only Compusa, Office Depot, Office Max, Costco, and Circuit City; oh and Sam's and Wallmart too. Wallmart, Sam's, and Circuit City are too far for me though.

I'll keep watchin Compusa's site for the ADS to appear. I do also keep my eyes open for hopfully someday a USB 2.0 - TV tuner will arrive from someone.

Thanks again, Rich
Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Thu Jan 30, 2003 2:33 am

you're welcome... why don't you order online tho ?
eliminator
CD-RW Player

buy online

Postby Rich on Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:25 am

I don't like having things delivered to my residence and I like the ease of returning things I don't like to the store. It limits me in some ways but in others it keeps me from getting stuck with junk.

Rich
Rich
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:21 am

I agree.
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives