Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Burn quality issues on Samsung SM-348B

Burn baby burn!

Burn quality issues on Samsung SM-348B

Postby Nogib on Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:31 am

Last edited by Nogib on Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nogib
Buffer Underrun

Postby bobmitchell on Sat Feb 01, 2003 4:27 pm

As far as the drive showing a difference in CAV to CLV...I don't see it. My burns are nice and smooth and the outcome usually looks very good (diskwise). As far as burning at 48X...

I had two of these drives. The first recognized commercial CD's and DVD's but would not recognize DVD-R , DVD-RW or CD-R. I couldn't burn at all. Upgraded the firmware to T503 and still nothing. Took it back and got another...which has been perfect.

I find that the Samsung WILL burn the following at 48X:

TDK (Taiyo Yuden) 24 and 48X

Mitsui All Speed: 40X

Sony 32X: 32X

Verbatim 48X: 32X

I don't understand the problem with Verbatim...but I ran out of them anyway.

The new drive also recognizes: DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R and DVD-R plus all the CD formats.

Sounds like you got a bad one too! Why not exchange and see for yourself. Samsung tech support was very helpful: 1-800-SAMSUNG

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Nogib on Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:05 pm

Nogib
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:58 pm

do you have DMA enabled?
what OS are you using?
details of your system?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby bobmitchell on Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:05 am

I must ask the same question. I have an Intel P4 on an Asus P4T-E and am running the Samsung drive as a slave to my Sony DRU-500a and the burns have been great! As I stated before...most brand blank CD-R's will burn at their rated speed...The TY's all worked at 48X (burned a 700MB in 2:40). The Mitsui All Speed were released when 24X was the highest burning speed...and they grew to 40x. Verbatim...what can I say...for me they have always been a step above Memorex...and they rarely work for me. Verbatim is the only brand that I was able to burn coasters with Burnproof enabled on my second machine. Go figure.

Is your motherboard Intel chipset or Via?
What software are you burning with as well.

If you have WinXP...make sure to go to My computer...right click...choose properties and then do the same with the icon for your CD-RW / DVD drive and DISABLE the XP burning ability...it interferes with other programs. Also make sure to go to control panel...click on Administrative Tools...Services and disable IMAPI burning service...again...another problem if you are using any over the counter burning software.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

HI there

Postby music_lover on Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:27 am

Well Itoo have that drive and i found nothing of that sort i think ur drive is a bad one or some fault u rather show it to ur vendor
music_lover
Buffer Underrun

Postby Nogib on Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:23 am

Nogib
Buffer Underrun

Postby bobmitchell on Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:03 pm

Have you disabled the internal XP burning abilities? That has always been a problem with other software. My earler post will show you how.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Nogib on Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:12 pm

I've always disabled that.
Nogib
Buffer Underrun

Postby bobmitchell on Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:20 pm

Here's a really Crazy shot in the dark. Change the jumpers to Cable Select and see what happens. Right now, mine is set up as slave to my DVD-RW drive. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe you need to replace the IDE cable. One other thought..don't know why I didn't think of it...Power Supply!!! How big is your P.S? I have a 550 because of all the hardware I have. Perhaps your Samsung isn't spinning up properly!

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Postby Nogib on Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:15 pm

I'm getting myself a slower, more reliable PlexCombo.
Last edited by Nogib on Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nogib
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheOverClocker on Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:21 pm

i have the same drive running on an

AMD 850 durin w 128 megs of ram and i havent had any problems with this drive. At first i was taking big hits to the buffer while burning but i fixed that by changing the device to dma mode and used IDE Blocking in the bios
TheOverClocker
CD-RW Thug

Postby bobmitchell on Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:48 pm

It really sounds like you got 2 lemons! It's possible, considering that when you purchase ANYTHING from Best Buy and the like...that the drive does get knocked around. When I returned my first drive...I searched the shelves for a box that wasn't dented. There were two out of 10 drives on the shelf. These guys at Best Buy and the like don't give a &^%$ about what they do to the materials when they are stocking the shelves. I even asked for the Manager of the store and showed him what the boxes on the shelf looked like. They throw this stuff around. You can imagine what slamming the box around can do to the drive itself. Misaligning the lasers, etc. However...you are having the same exact problem on two different drives...the odds are slim that both were damaged in the same way. To put into a second system and have the same exact problem is puzzling. Once I got my second drive...everything was much better. I can burn at 48X. ..depending on the media I am using. If you get a chance...go to http://www.cdspeed2000.com/
and get the latest version. Try all different types of media and see what CD speed says. You never know.

Bob
bobmitchell
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives