Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Kodak media - how good is it?

Burn baby burn!

Kodak media - how good is it?

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jan 27, 2003 7:21 am

i gather that Kodak media is supposed to be very good.

is it as good as Taiyo Yuden/Mitsui/Verbatim ?
has anybody tested burns of this media with CD Doctor or WSES and compared ?

sorry if this has been discussed, can't find with the search...
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby jase on Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:20 am

The point with Kodak media was that it almost literally lasted forever. You could write one of the old Kodak discs back in 1996, leave it in a bright, damp place for the following seven years, let it get scratched to hell and back and it would still read perfectly. Kodak media in terms of longevity left even the TY and Mitsui of the same era in the dust.

I haven't tried running a Kodak disc through WSES or CDD. Mainly because I have none left.
jase
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:30 pm

dodecahedron:
If you're thinking of buying those discs you saw, go for it. Kodak media is scarce. Really scarce. If you see it buy it.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:14 pm

got a 10-pack w/ jewel cases Kodak CD-R Ultima 80 24x. "Contains real GOLD". is this the Kodak Ultima Gold media?
$1 a pop +18% tax :x :o :cry: pricey but i wanted to have some Kodak.

well, the salesman said Kodak media was available, no problem, when i asked him about it. what does he know...i guess some importer/reseller has a stash of them...

by the way, i gather there are a few different kinds of Kodak. Kodak Ultima, Kodak Gold ???
what's the differences between them?

damn, this (or similar) was discussed just the other day, search doesn't work...)
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Action Jackson on Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:02 pm

Would I be wrong to say that any Kodak media is good?

There was a thread on another forum and someone mentioned that in Australia is still selling.

Stocks of Kodak media can be found here in Toronto [Canada].
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:01 am

it's probably all good, but i was curious as to the differences between the various types of Kodak media.

i guess sometimes there are benefits to not living in the US, ha! like buying old media :wink:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby TheWizard on Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:49 am

Yeah, Kodak media does seem more dense in other areas of the world outside the USA. You can also buy Kodak media in the UK at Kodak's British web site.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Albinoni on Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:29 am

Kodak media or CD-R's to me are faultless. I use mostly the Kodak CD-R Ultima 80 Gold+Silver mixed layer on the Disc. This is most definately my first choice when it come to burning MP3 files. I've never ever had any problems or errors on these discs what so ever.

And yes Australia still had and supports Kodak CD-R's, alot of shops here still have them.

I always beleive that when you buy Kodak you buy an investment.
Albinoni
CD-RW Player

Postby Gary Kokkin on Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:42 am

Kodak discontinued CDr production .
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/service/ ... 4351.shtml

Sold rights to Verbatim making CDRs (1/2003) in Mexico for N.America market. (Still searching link to upload official statement....)
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 04, 2003 12:33 pm

I am amazed at how many contributors from outside the USA report that Kodak CD-Rs are still readily available in their countries, a year after Kodak ceased production. What's going on here? Is Kodak still producing CD-Rs for the international market? Are people counterfeiting Kodak CD-Rs, thinking that they make an easy mark due to Kodak's lack of interest in CD-Rs? Or were Kodak's sales so phenomenally bad that a year later they still have plenty of inventory to burn through? :o Wow, that's terrifically bad business planning. I would say that someone's head must have rolled at Kodak over that disaster, but, at least in America, business executives who ruin their companies seem to be rewarded, not punished... :(

cfitz

P.S. Here’s the link to online sales at Kodak's official web site in the UK, as mentioned by TheWizard:

http://www.kodak.com/GB/en/corp/store/c ... CATID=8901
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Gary Kokkin on Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:23 pm

I think is a simply answer . A lot of stock still available .Minimum of CDR production for a factory, making better cost prices is 6million CDRs /year/item .But a brand must sell them of course .If don't, discontinued the product.

Also Kodak full range of products are not available worldwide.Here in Greece since 5-1/4 diskettes (do you remember them) never sold other products except for photo-camera purposes.
Gary Kokkin
CD-RW Player

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:25 pm

http://www.asyousee.com/accessories/4012/4012.htm has 38 of these Kodak discs still available.
http://www.asyousee.com/order.htm they ship anywhere in North America!

http://www.gbcomp.com/cdmedia.htm also has them instock.

That's just 2 Canadian stores I could find quickly from work.

They are out there. If you can find them.

edit: Staples.ca actually had them listed on the web site in packs of 25 for around $9 back in October. They were a clearance item. No, I didn't buy any. I was going to Florida...

Also see: http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7296
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:37 pm

Spazmogen wrote:http://www.asyousee.com/accessories/4012/4012.htm has 38 of these Kodak discs still available.

Interesting, but in terms of comparative availability, 38 is hardly a supply worth noting. That isn't even a single spindle's worth of discs. If I properly understand the posts of our worldwide contributors, the supply of Kodak CD-Rs in areas outside of America/North America is significant and the discs are readily available. I don't consider 38 to be a significant supply, even if you were to multiply it by 100 on-line stores selling it. The supply of non-Kodak discs at my local retailers alone would dwarf such a figure. I'm just making a rough guess, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are 20,000 discs on the shelves at my local Best Buy, another 20,000 at the Comp USA just up the block, and another 10,000 at the Circuit City a couple of miles away. And that's not counting all the Staples, Office Depots, Targets, Wal-Marts etc. that are on every other street corner with 1000 - 5000 discs each, and the additional Best Buys, Comp USAs and Circuit Citys that are within a 1/2 hour drive.

Maybe that is my problem. Perhaps I am extrapolating my experience too broadly to that of the people who say Kodak CD-Rs are readily available overseas. When I read "readily available" I have visions of thousands to tens of thousands of Kodak CD-Rs at local retailers around the globe. But maybe when people say readily available they mean 20 single discs in jewel cases gathering dust at the back of the shelf.

Those of you who are living overseas where there are still significant supplies of Kodak CD-Rs readily available for purchase, could you quantify what “significant supply” and "readily available" mean to you?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Spazmogen on Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:04 pm

I'm curious to know if the Kodak discs being sold in Israel & Austrailia are made in Mexico, like the ones being sold in North America. If not, then perhaps Kodak has a larger supply overseas made in a different plant.

As for 'comparative availability': the stores that seem to have stock are not the big box stores. They seem to be smaller, independants. Even Staples up here no longer has them.
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:14 pm

the shop where i bought that box of Kodaks - they had 3 10-packs in Jewel cases. roughly $12 (incl. tax) to the box :x :x :x

the salesman said Kodak were readily available, i've no idea what he meant.
this is the first ever i've stumbled on Kodak media in a retail store. was quite surprised! never saw them online. the only other place i've seen them before was at the sysadmins at the School of Economics in the univ where i teach. i think they just get them as freebees from suppliers etc.

so i've no idea how readily available they really are here.

i'm having a hard time trying to imagine what 10K or 20K CDs looks like. even in the biggest retail stores here, i don't think the carry such amounts.

by the way, this Kodak box i've got says on it:
Made in Ireland 08/01 P/N 6E2413
CAT 104 4882

and all the text on the box is written in English/French/German (warranty stuff in a few more langs.) so it's the European market stuff.

btw, the cheapest i've ever seen retail here was approx $30 for a 100-spindle... :x
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives