Home News Reviews Forums Shop

InCD- can't get it to work.

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

InCD- can't get it to work.

Postby Goldspark on Fri Jan 03, 2003 9:36 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm searched thro' but all seem to know how to manage this. I'm a newbie with cr-rw and couldn't get it to work. Am I dumb or what.?
I've just bgt a TDK CD-RW 48/20/48 that comes with Nero Express and InCD. Maybe I'm new to this but I find it very unfriendly to use.
Eg. How do I copy things like music(in MP3 format) or pictures to my CD-RW dics? When I use Nero, it keeps on insisting on CD-R. When I tried InCd, it asks me whether I want to format or not . Is that eqivalent to copying? But then it never ask me what I want to copy?

I've tried updating Nero and Incd to latest version and UDF reader too. No help. I don't understand how it works. I have no problem burning a CD-R tho'. I tried with other software - MaGix-MP3 maker. Same problem.

I hope someone out there can help. I'm sprouting white hairs already. :(
Be happy
Frank
Goldspark
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:45 am

How do you want to use your CD-RW discs? Like big floppy discs, or like CD-ROM discs that can be erased and then rewritten with new data?

If you want to use it as a floppy disc, then install and run InCD, put the blank CD-RW disc into your drive, and then wait for the prompt to occur asking you to prepare the disc for use in InCD. (If the prompt doesn't show up, right click the InCD icon in the system tray at the lower right corner of the screen and select "Format"). Then follow the instructions that are presented to you. When the formatting is complete, you can just use the CD-RW disc like a floppy drive, copying files to and from it via Windows Explorer just like any other disc.

If you want to use your CD-RW as a CD-ROM disc that can be erased and rewritten, then uninstall InCD. To burn files to the CD-RW disc, insert it into the drive, start Nero express, select "Data Disc" as the type of disc you want to burn, then step through each of the steps of the Wizard. If the CD-RW isn't empty, Nero will ask you if you want it to erase it for you before burning. Select "yes" and off you go.

Read the instructions, and play around with all the settings to see what they do. You are using a rewritable disc, so it doesn't cost you anything and you don't have to worry that you are making any permanent changes.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby tazdevl on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:13 pm

Don't know if that's entirely true fitz. InCD has borked more than one of my RWs to the point I had to toss it.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:56 pm

tazdevl wrote:Don't know if that's entirely true fitz. InCD has borked more than one of my RWs to the point I had to toss it.

Did InCD do it, or was the CD-RW disc just bad quality in the first place and couldn't take too many read/write cycles? Some CD-RW media out there are downright awful quality. The sample Memorex disc that came with my new burner lasted about 10 read/write cycles of normal ISO 9660 image burning before it gave up the ghost.

InCD is no different than any other program in how it uses the burner to write to discs. They all use the same ATAPI command set to control the burner, and the burner does the actual physical manipulation of the disc. So, without intending to be sarcastic, I don't know what magical powers with which InCD could be imbued that would allow it to physically ruin a disc when other programs can’t. If you do know a mechanism by which InCD can physically damage a CD-RW disc, please tell me.

I was originally going to suggest that Goldspark avoid InCD in general due to the number of people around here posting problems with getting it to run properly and due to my own distrust of packet-writing software, but I didn't want to poison his thinking with my bias before he has even had a chance to try it. Everyone needs to make his or her own decision about what software he or she is going to use and how to use it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Goldspark on Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:54 am

Thanks for your prompt reply. You did gave 2 advice for using CR-rw; with and without InCD. Thanks, I did manage to use it using win Explorer.
However, if I want to copy music to it so that when I get tired of it, I can use it to copy new ones. , ...can I do that using click and drag method with Win Exp.?

When I copy some CDA music and tried to burn it in MP3 in another CD, Nero Express can't seem to do it. Please help here.

It seems a lot of people find InCd a hairpulling experience, can anyone share any other better way of using CD-RW before I go bald.?

Thanks for your inputs pals.
Be happy
Frank
Goldspark
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Mon Jan 13, 2003 12:53 pm

Goldspark:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve.

cfitz has already told you how to use InCD for storing files on your CD-RW discs as if they were big floppies. For instance, if you have an MP3 file on your hard disk, you can use Explorer to copy it to an InCD formatted CD-RW disc, either for backup or because you want to use the disc in your player or on another computer.

In other words, InCD only handles copying files, and not conversion between different file formats. If you don't have an MP3 file, either download it, or if you have a music file in another format, use your favorite software to convert it to MP3; in both cases save the MP3 file to your hard disk first before copying it to an InCD disc.

Apparently you have misread the complaints about InCD. In most posts, "I can't get InCD to work" means that InCD is not working properly; in your case, it seems to mean that you don't know how to use it. :D
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby Goldspark on Mon Jan 13, 2003 10:01 pm

I'm learning, l'm learning, the curve is steep man. Please be patient with me.
I thought Nero Express will automatically convert it to MP3 format fro me when I copy it to my writer.
Be happy
Frank
Goldspark
Buffer Underrun

Postby cask3t on Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:08 am

or was the CD-RW disc just bad quality in the first place and couldn't take too many read/write cycles? Some CD-RW media out there are downright awful quality. The sample Memorex disc that came with my new burner lasted about 10 read/write cycles of normal ISO 9660 image burning before it gave up the ghost.

Hey everyone Ive been having problem's with my in cd it worked fine but after a couple of week's it stoped reading my cd rw disc i was useing is this because of what was said in the quote above? and if so is there any way to get into the file's that are on the disc? thank's

cask3t
cask3t
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)