PlexTools V1.19 released on 31 January 2003
Added:
AudioCD Maker, DAE: support Monkey's Audio
AudioCD Maker, DAE: support Ogg Vorbis
Bug Fix:
Many other improvements

http://www.plextor.be/english/technical ... _util.html
(Plextor Europe)

another improvement, i might add: it starts up a lot faster than previous versions!
Last edited by dodecahedron on Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby taxman150 on Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:24 am

I've read posts on this forum and others indicating that Plextools shouldn't be used with other brand burners as its only meant to support Plextor burners. Does this mean it could cause technical problems with other burners or does it only mean that its not recommended as you might get poor burns, etc?

I tried burning on the fly from my Liteon to my Plextor (both USB 2.0) before I read anything about this and received a warning message asking me if I wanted to proceed with the action as it could tell that my read drive wasn't a Plextor. However, it still let me burn on the fly although it did have a number of errors at the end. I attributed this to the fact that I was trying to read at 52X and burn at 48X - I understand that I should have dropped the burn to something like 40X instead.
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:22 am

PlexTools complains if you do a CD copy and the source isn't a plextor drive. but i believe it works fine.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby taxman150 on Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll probably use Nero for the Liteon and Plextools for the Plextor unless I want to burn on the fly for some reason. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't cause any conflicts with the Liteon.

Thanks again,
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Sat Feb 01, 2003 3:15 pm

i should have also added:
i don't think PlexTools will burn with a non-Plextor burner.
would you mind verifying that? does it let you choose the Lite-On as a recorder for copying/making a CD?

although i use Nero most of the time, i really like PlexTools and use it occasionally.

reputadly, it is great at DAE, sometimes even succeeding at protected CDs many other programs can't handle.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby taxman150 on Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:25 pm

dodecahedron wrote:i should have also added:
i don't think PlexTools will burn with a non-Plextor burner.
would you mind verifying that? does it let you choose the Lite-On as a recorder for copying/making a CD?

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I wanted to install the 1.19 update first. After installing the update, its not recognizing the Lite-On now as an available drive. It does show the General Information about the drive correctly - that its a LTR52246S with firmware 6S0C installed. However, it won't show any data on the Drive Information screen and also won't allow me to select the Lite-On now as a reader if a try to do a CD Copy. It will allow me to select either my IDE Pioneer DVR-104 or my IDE Samsung CD-ROM as a reader though.

In the drive tree on the left side of the screen its showing ID:0 n/a for the Lite-On, where it previously listed the drive name. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that Plextools is not recognizing the new 6S0C firmware. Does this make sense? Any other ideas what could be causing the drive not to show up - its a USB 2.0 drive? I'm still puzzled why it would recognize the General Information about the drive, but not the drive itself. I had no problems prior to installation of the new Lite-On firmware.

Its not a big deal as both drives are still supported correctly in Nero. I haven't run the 1.18 version of Plextools since upgrading to the new Lite-On firmware a few days ago, so I can't tell if it has something to do with the Lite-On firmware or the new Plextools 1.19.

I do agree with you though regarding the inability to choose a different brand recorder in Plextools. While I can choose the Pioneer or the Samsung as a reader to do a CD Copy to the Plextor, I can't choose the Pioneer as the the writer.

Thanks,
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Tue Feb 04, 2003 5:11 pm

taxman150 wrote:After installing the update, its not recognizing the Lite-On now as an available drive. ... and also won't allow me to select the Lite-On now as a reader if a try to do a CD Copy. It will allow me to select either my IDE Pioneer DVR-104 or my IDE Samsung CD-ROM as a reader though.

very strange.
i don't think this is proper behaviour.
especially since (as i understand) it did work with previous version(s?) of plextools. and it does let you choose the other IDE drives. i can't think of an explanation. maybe because it's USB? but then this arrangement has worked in a previous version of plextools!

taxman150 wrote:It does show the General Information about the drive correctly - that its a LTR52246S with firmware 6S0C installed. However, it won't show any data on the Drive Information screen...

that's normal behaviour AFAIK. it doesn't show me any information about my LG CD-ROM drive. does it show any information about your other 2 IDE drives? i would be very suprised if the answer was yes!
PlexTools manual wrote:Note: CD-ROM drives and peripherals from other manufacturers will also be shown in the hardware list if they are supported and functional, but only for Plextor drives all information will be shown.

taxman150 wrote:In the drive tree on the left side of the screen its showing ID:0 n/a for the Lite-On, where it previously listed the drive name. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that Plextools is not recognizing the new 6S0C firmware. Does this make sense?

no it does not. and in fact it does recognize the new firmware, as it is shown in the General Information screen.

maybe try to uninstall PlexTools and then reinstall (the version that came on CD and then update).
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby taxman150 on Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:10 pm

dodecahedron wrote:
taxman150 wrote:After installing the update, its not recognizing the Lite-On now as an available drive. ... and also won't allow me to select the Lite-On now as a reader if a try to do a CD Copy. It will allow me to select either my IDE Pioneer DVR-104 or my IDE Samsung CD-ROM as a reader though.

very strange.
i don't think this is proper behaviour.
especially since (as i understand) it did work with previous version(s?) of plextools. and it does let you choose the other IDE drives. i can't think of an explanation. maybe because it's USB? but then this arrangement has worked in a previous version of plextools!.

Yes, it had worked perfectly in version 1.18 with both drives.

taxman150 wrote:It does show the General Information about the drive correctly - that its a LTR52246S with firmware 6S0C installed. However, it won't show any data on the Drive Information screen...

dodecahedron wrote:that's normal behaviour AFAIK. it doesn't show me any information about my LG CD-ROM drive. does it show any information about your other 2 IDE drives? i would be very suprised if the answer was yes!

Yes, I typed "Drive Information", but I actually meant to say "Drive Settings", which still should have basic information about the drive capabilities, which it does not.

PlexTools manual wrote:Note: CD-ROM drives and peripherals from other manufacturers will also be shown in the hardware list if they are supported and functional, but only for Plextor drives all information will be shown.

taxman150 wrote:In the drive tree on the left side of the screen its showing ID:0 n/a for the Lite-On, where it previously listed the drive name. I'm assuming this has something to do with the fact that Plextools is not recognizing the new 6S0C firmware. Does this make sense?

dodecahedron wrote:no it does not. and in fact it does recognize the new firmware, as it is shown in the General Information screen.

maybe try to uninstall PlexTools and then reinstall (the version that came on CD and then update).

Yes, I gave that a try but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. Its not a big deal since Nero works fine with both drives, but its just puzzling me as to why it will not work now.

You wouldn't still have the 1.18 update file around would you? I'm curious if it would work if I reinstalled this version. I would call Plextor support, but I doubt if they would help me since I am in the U.S. and should not be using Plextools anyway (can't use Plextor Manager with XP though). Maybe I'll see if they respond to an e-mail.

Thanks for all your help.
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby taxman150 on Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:20 pm

To update....I was able to find a version 1.18 update file and installed this version and everything is back to working perfectly with Plextools recognizing the Lite-On, so it clearly had something to do with the 1.19 software for some reason.

I'll probably leave it at 1.18 and wait to see if the issue is fixed with 1.20 or later.

Thanks again,
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:29 pm

very strange.
did you first uninstall PlexTools and then reinstall and update to 1.18?

i would suggest you try 1.19 again, maybe the download file was buggy.

by the way, 1.20 will soon be out, it is already "shipping" with the new DVD+R/W drive.
they always do that whenever they have a new drive - put out the newest plextools with it and only after a short while release an update on the website.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby taxman150 on Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:52 pm

dodecahedron wrote:very strange.
did you first uninstall PlexTools and then reinstall and update to 1.18?

Yes. This is exactly what I did.

dodecahedron wrote:i would suggest you try 1.19 again, maybe the download file was buggy.

by the way, 1.20 will soon be out, it is already "shipping" with the new DVD+R/W drive.
they always do that whenever they have a new drive - put out the newest plextools with it and only after a short while release an update on the website.

Thanks for the info Dodecahedron. I've tried installing 1.19 twice to no avail. I have e-mailed Plextor Europe support with the problem, but I'm not sure whether they will be of much assistance since it involves a non-Plextor drive and I am in the U.S.
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby taxman150 on Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:38 am

dodecahedron wrote:by the way, 1.20 will soon be out, it is already "shipping" with the new DVD+R/W drive.

Looks like you're correct about the problem probably being fixed in version 1.20. Following is the response I received from Plextor Europe customer support:

Plextor Europe Customer Support wrote:
Dear customer,

This will be solved in version Plextools 1.20.
taxman150
CD-RW Thug

Postby dodecahedron on Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:35 pm

that's good to hear.
let's hope it will be released soon.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon