Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Help with LG 52X

Burn baby burn!

Help with LG 52X

Postby ariranha on Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:13 pm

Hello,

I just got a GCE-8520B and I have two problems:

1) Windows show the right info about the driver, but I still can't burn in full speed (max 40x in nero or cloneCD) and CDRwin will not find it.

2) When I want to duplicate a audio CD (Nero or CloneCD) stats that there is no media inside the driver. Even when I want to play audio CD with winamp or musicmatch.

There is no update driver with the CD provided.
What I am doing wrong ? What can I do to fix this problem ?

Previosly I had a Plextor 12x4x32x that worked just fine.

Thanks.
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Re: Help with LG 52X

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 09, 2003 7:45 pm

1) Windows show the right info about the driver, but I still can't burn in full speed (max 40x in nero or cloneCD) and CDRwin will not find it.

>> Try other media. The LG is pretty picky. As far as CDRWin goes, I don't think its even supported yet.

http://www.goldenhawk.com/devices_body.htm
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby TheWizard on Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:02 pm

As Ian pointed out, try different media. According to the Media Compatability Thread, TDK 32X and 40X discs made by Ritek have burned successfully at 52X in the GCE-8520B. Other media can probably burn at 52X, but you'll have to do a bit of trial and error to find out. So far, the TDK/Ritek 32X and 40X work very well. Look for a spindle like this...

Note how the spindle looks, there is a gray base on the bottom and the clear plastic covering has rounded (not sharp) edges on the top. If you get a spindle that looks just like this, you will find Ritek discs inside.
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:06 pm

I've had luck with Imation 48x and Plasmon 52x.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ariranha on Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:15 pm

Thanks a lot ....

... and how about the audio-CD ? CDex, EAC, Winamp, MusicMatch, Nero, CloneCD and even the CDspeed programs tell that there is no media when I insert an audio disc.

[]'s

ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby TheWizard on Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:15 pm

There you go, ariranha, two more options. Thanks Ian. :)
TheWizard
CD-RW Player

Postby ariranha on Sun Feb 09, 2003 8:52 pm

any sugestions about the audio problem ?

[]'s
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:09 pm

What all is listed on the "Hardware" tab of Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia ?

Do you have any other optical drives in the system that are currently able to recognize and play audio CDs?

Oh, and disable Nero Drive Speed. In your picture it looks like it is set to auto-start. It probably isn't causing any problems, but there is no need for it, and in general you shouldn't run software you don't need.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ariranha on Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:47 am

cfitz wrote:What all is listed on the "Hardware" tab of Start->Settings->Control Panel->Sounds and Multimedia ?

Do you have any other optical drives in the system that are currently able to recognize and play audio CDs?

Oh, and disable Nero Drive Speed. In your picture it looks like it is set to auto-start. It probably isn't causing any problems, but there is no need for it, and in general you shouldn't run software you don't need.

cfitz

... is listed my sound blaster liver card.

Everything was working just perfect with my old cd-rw driver. I just change the drivers and nothing else.

When I try to extract an .wav track with CDex or EAC, or copy an audio-CD, they say that there is no audio-CD on drive. The LG simply don't recognize any audio-CD.

And CDspeed stats only a 40x maximum speed. Is that normal?

Should I re-install the ASPI drivers and the burning programs ?

Thanks again
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:39 am

Your sound blaster card is the only thing listed? I asked for everything that is listed.

When you say "I just change the drivers and nothing else", do you mean drives (the physical devices into which you place the discs) or drivers (the system software that allows the computer to communicate with the drives)?

I would suggest that you delete the CD-RW drive from device manager, then reboot and allow the system to reinstall it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ariranha on Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:47 am

Cfitz .... thanks a lot for your help ! :D

cfitz wrote:Your sound blaster card is the only thing listed? I asked for everything that is listed.
cfitz

cfitz wrote:When you say "I just change the drivers and nothing else", do you mean drives (the physical devices into which you place the discs) or drivers (the system software that allows the computer to communicate with the drives)?
cfitz

I change a plextor 12x4x32x for the Lg .... just the hardware, and the windowXP promply recognized the new driver.

cfitz wrote:I would suggest that you delete the CD-RW drive from device manager, then reboot and allow the system to reinstall it.
cfitz

Did that already 3 times .... even on windows explorer I can see an audio-cd. :evil: :evil:

H :o E :-? L :roll: P
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:06 pm

ariranha wrote:
cfitz wrote:Your sound blaster card is the only thing listed? I asked for everything that is listed.
cfitz

I asked for what showed up on the "Hardware" tab, not the "Audio" tab.

ariranha wrote:Image

I believe those two DVD devices are virtual drives installed by CloneCD and/or other burning software, correct? If so, then you might want to try disabling/uninstalling them. They could be causing some conflict. If not, and one of them is a real drive, then tell me what happens when you try to play an audio CD in it.

Just for the sake of completeness, can you tell us what drivers and versions are reported when you click on the "Driver Details..." button?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ariranha on Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:21 pm

Sorry .....

Here we go again !

Those other drivers listed are virtual drives (cloneCD and Deamon tolls) and I will uninstall them tonight.

My ASPI info:

[]'s
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:35 pm

Yes, I would go ahead and temporarily uninstall the virtual drives. After doing so, make sure the ElbyCDFL.sys and MxlW2k.sys drivers are no longer present in the Driver File Details Window. Also, remove the broken ASPI installation as well (assuming you don't need it for any system software). Then let us know if that helps. If so, we can begin reinstalling and see where the conflict (if any) truly lies.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ariranha on Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:06 pm

MAGIC !!

I disable the virtual drive from DAEMON tolls e everything worked fine !!
Thanks again !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby ariranha on Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:00 pm

cfitz wrote:Yes, I would go ahead and temporarily uninstall the virtual drives. After doing so, make sure the ElbyCDFL.sys and MxlW2k.sys drivers are no longer present in the Driver File Details Window. Also, remove the broken ASPI installation as well (assuming you don't need it for any system software). Then let us know if that helps. If so, we can begin reinstalling and see where the conflict (if any) truly lies.

cfitz

... stop working .... same problem with audio again.

I already done this:

1) uninstalled CloneCD and DAEMON tolls.
2) uninstalled and re-instalde de LG several times.
3) went to adaptec site and downloaded de ASPI 4.72
4) after executing the install.bat XP32 a couple of time, I still get the same ASPI info.

And I still can't get rid off of the MxlW2k.sys ...

How can I uninstal the ASPI driver ?

[]'s
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:52 pm

Apparently mxlw2k.sys comes from MusicMatch; google for mxlw2k.sys and investigate the links.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 11, 2003 1:41 am

ariranha wrote:How can I uninstal the ASPI driver ?

Delete the following files:

Code: Select all
%windir%\system\winaspi.dll
%windir%\system\wowpost.exe
%windir%\system32\wnaspi32.dll
%windir%\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys

Then edit the registry and under the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ASPI32

set the value of "Start" to 4. This will disable the service. If you wanted to get rid of ASPI forever you could just delete the whole key, but let's keep it around for when you want to reinstall.

Reboot.

When you do reinstall ASPI, I would suggest downloading forceASPI (find it with google) and using it to install version 4.60 of Adaptec ASPI.

Also, try to get rid of that mxlw2k.sys driver by uninstalling MusicMatch. That would seem to be as likely a culprit as any for your problems.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ariranha on Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:40 pm

What a french drama !!! Started working again ... and I did nothing else.

Let see what happens next.

Thanks again.

[]'s

:P
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby ariranha on Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:53 pm

Stop working ..... I re-install the aspi driver ... uninstalled the LG and rebooted .... everything the same, can't recognize any audio CD.

I also uninstalled Musicmatch and all "Rip&burn" programs.

Should I re-install winXP ?

[]'s
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 11, 2003 10:19 pm

Which version of ASPI are you using now? Version 4.60 as installed by ForceASPI? Or 4.71.2 that you originally had?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ariranha on Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:06 pm

and still not working.
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:36 pm

French drama indeed... :( (By the way, what is the origin of that expression? This is the first I have ever heard of it. I take it that the stereotype of a French drama is one with many inexplicable plot twists and turns.)

Things are definitely unstable. I have to admit I am running out of ideas. Maybe an XP reinstall would be worthwhile if it doesn't cause you too much pain. If you do decide to reinstall, try not to load up the system with unnecessary drivers and such. Just stick with what you really need to do the things you want to do.

One thing I haven't yet suggested, because I figured you would have already tried it if you were able to, is to put the LG in a different system and see if it recognizes audio CDs with no problem there. There is some chance that the drive itself is defective.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby ariranha on Wed Feb 12, 2003 5:37 pm

Hello cfitz .... this is a happy day !! :lol: :lol:

Everything is working just fine ... and don't ask me what I did, because I don't know !!

cfitz wrote:French drama indeed... :( (By the way, what is the origin of that expression? This is the first I have ever heard of it. I take it that the stereotype of a French drama is one with many inexplicable plot twists and turns.)

Well ... I don't know is this expression exist, but while I lived in Paris (2 years) doing my doctors degree, I learned two things for sure: They are the best in the world cooking and dramatizing the simple thing in life !! lol ... but I love them ...

Thanks again for your help, and if you need any help or info from Brazil, just e-mail me.

[]'s
ariranha
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:40 pm

To quote from across the channel: All's well that ends well. I'm glad to hear everything is okay now. Let's hope it stays that way! :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives