Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Testing Media Quality

Burn baby burn!

Testing Media Quality

Postby Godji on Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:09 am

Hello,
I've just got a new CD-RW drive (the 52x LG), as well as a couple of blank CDs out of many different brands. I'd like to test how well each type works with the drive. I'm asking you what is the best way to test media quality? Help me out and I will post the results.
Thanks,
Georgi
G - 9 4 0 5
Godji
Buffer Underrun

Postby Halc on Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:42 am

You need a drive that can read C1/C2 error information off a disc you've burned and then use a program to report errors (CD Doctor 1.04 is a decent application).

Unfortunately CD Doctro currently supports LiteOn/Samsung drives:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=8095

There will be an upcoming version of cd speed (keep checking at www.cdspeed2000.com) that should support C1/C2 error checking. We don't know yet what drives it will support.

Until then, your choices are pretty limited and I can't suggest you any good way to measure media quality with your LG drive.

Can somebody else help out?

regards,
Halc

PS I bought a LiteOn 48246s on a discount just so that I can use it to check C1/C2 errors... I don't even use it for burning (at least, not yet).
Halc
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:35 pm

Godji wrote:I've just got a new CD-RW drive (the 52x LG), as well as a couple of blank CDs out of many different brands. I'd like to test how well each type works with the drive. I'm asking you what is the best way to test media quality?

The LG reports C2 errors, so you can use CD Speed's scan disk and quality check features to test your burn quality. Get CD Speed at the link Halc gave you if you don't already have it. CD Speed's scan disk has been used for quite some time as the testing program for determining inclusion of media in the media compatibility thread:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005

halc wrote:PS I bought a LiteOn 48246s on a discount just so that I can use it to check C1/C2 errors... I don't even use it for burning (at least, not yet).

I did the same thing... :oops: Although now I use it for burning as well. It is faster than my Yamaha CRW-3200EZ, and burns with good quality as well.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sat Feb 15, 2003 1:37 pm

Halc wrote:Unfortunately CD Doctro currently supports LiteOn/Samsung drives:

You mean LiteOn/Sanyo drives.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Godji on Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:11 pm

Well yes, I know a lot about C1/C2, and while a beginner with CD burning, I have sufficient theoretical background :). The problem is that I get no C2s with ANYTHING I burn, from things as expensive as Sony and Verbatim, to things as cheap as CDs burnt in Bulgaria, on which it is difficult to say which side is the one for burning :). I have no access to ANY other CD drive except the burner itself, so all I have is the drive.. and the media.
G - 9 4 0 5
Godji
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Feb 15, 2003 4:40 pm

Well, it is good to hear that you are getting good quality burns. However, if the burn quality of your discs is not distinguishable by CD Speed, then you will just have to get a drive that is supported by WSES or CD Doctor to test for lower-level errors, or else wait until the improved CD Speed comes out and see if it supports your drive:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 3062#53062

Ian didn't have any trouble finding media that the LG burned with errors:

Maxell/Ritek 40x

TDK/CMC 48x

(from http://www.cdrlabs.com/reviews/index.ph ... erformance)

It might be worthwhile to mark one of your discs with a permanent marker to artificially create errors, just to verify that everything is running correctly.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives