Burn baby burn!

LG 8481B NEW FIRMWARE 1.03 48x CDR SPEED

Postby farookh on Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:25 am

http://www.lge.co.kr/open_data/GCE-8481B103(KW).zip

NOW 48X CDR READ SPEED WITH 3 SEC EJECT BUTTON PRESS
farookh
Buffer Underrun

Postby Ian on Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:02 pm

Now if they'd just do that for their 52x writer.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby ReCkz on Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:12 pm

what is the difference between this firmware ( v1.03 ) and the previous one (v1.02)? isn't with firmware v1.02 GCE 8481B will also be able to read CD-R as well??

thx
ReCkz
Buffer Underrun

What improves 1.02 Firmware?

Postby Janal on Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:41 pm

hello...
i´m novice about that... I have GCE 8481B and there is a firmware actualization 1.02... and now 1.03 WOW... So bad it´s original version??

I never actualizate the firmware... in www.lge.com (spain) http://es.lgservice.com/bin/HPI/HpiHomeMain.cgi there is the 1.02 version.. it seems a program that can be executed in Windows... Not MS-DOS... It´s true?
What do that patch arrange? Is it useful? and What about 1.03?
Thanks a lot for you attention... apologize my english
Janal
Janal
Buffer Underrun

Re: What improves 1.02 Firmware?

Postby cfitz on Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:54 pm

Janal wrote:hello...
i´m novice about that... I have GCE 8481B and there is a firmware actualization 1.02... and now 1.03 WOW... So bad it´s original version??

No, the original version is not necessarily that bad. Many times firmware updates for CD-RW drives only contain information about new CD-R or CD-RW media so that the drive can improve its burning of those new media. If you don't use that new media, you might not see any difference at all.

Janal wrote:it seems a program that can be executed in Windows... Not MS-DOS... It´s true?

Yes, that program can flash your drive from Windows.

Janal wrote:What do that patch arrange? Is it useful? and What about 1.03?

I don't know the specific answers to those questions. Hopefully someone else will post an answer.

Janal wrote:Thanks a lot for you attention... apologize my english
Janal

Don't worry about your English. It isn't perfect, but you are making a good effort. My one comment would be that I think you mean "upgrade" when you say "actualization".

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Thanks a lot... Risk later

Postby Janal on Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:34 pm

Thanks a lot for your attention.. and apoligize my english... yes, I want mean "upgrade" the firmware. Because I´m novice, I´ll take the risk later than saving all my harddisk (10GB) and some cd´s...
How much time would take upgrading my firmware? 3 min? If you have an advice before doing that i will be grateful with you... again
Thanks all of us
Juan
Janal
Buffer Underrun

Re: Thanks a lot... Risk later

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:46 pm

Janal wrote:Because I´m novice, I´ll take the risk later than saving all my harddisk (10GB) and some cd´s...

I think that sounds wise. Flashing firmware isn't that difficult a task, but it is possible to make a mistake that disables your drive. Since you are a novice, I would suggest that you do not upgrade your firmware right away. Use your drive for a while, become familiar with it and its software, and get used to how it operates.

Janal wrote:How much time would take upgrading my firmware? 3 min?

Something like that, all told. It really doesn't take very long.

Janal wrote:If you have an advice before doing that i will be grateful with you... again

As I mentioned above, I would suggest becoming more familiar with your drive and how it works first. Firmware updates aren't always a necessity, and can sometimes cause problems (although this is rare). Wait to see if you have any problems that might be solved by a firmware update before you decide to update.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives