Home News Reviews Forums Shop

who makes new Fuji cdr's?

Burn baby burn!

who makes new Fuji cdr's?

Postby arfmonger on Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:14 pm

I'm used to getting TY made Fujis in the familiar screw-top cake box.
But I just saw some 48x Fujis at bestbuy ($9.99 for 100 after rebate), package says made in Japan, but NOT in the normal TY style cake box. Anyone know who made these? I'm scared they might just be mislabeled Taiwanese....
arfmonger
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:25 pm

That's just the new packaging. The discs are still made by Taiyo Yuden.

Here is the old, well-known screw-top packaging:

And here is the new packaging (without the shrink-wrap label):

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dhc014 on Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:29 pm

I've got some right here. They are TY's as cfitz said.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby arfmonger on Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:59 pm

Thank y'all. Guess I'll go and get me some...
arfmonger
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:10 pm

I'm outta' here.......................

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:56 pm

My Best Buy Hot Deal clearly states that the Fuji media is made by Taiyo Yuden. Please look at it carefully next time.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 4559#54559
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby arfmonger on Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:40 pm

Your Best Buy Hot Deal clearly shows a pic of the Fuji's with the clearly recognizable TY screw-top. The Fuji's available at my local bestbuy don't have the screw-top, and I was unaware that TY packaged them like this (thus the necessity of my post).
arfmonger
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:20 pm

Since this has been asked a few times recently, let me add a picture of the new Taiyo Yuden packaging with the Fuji shrink-wrap label to complement the unwrapped picture I posted above:

Hopefully this is a little easier to match to what is in the stores than my older picture of the unwrapped spindle.

Note that even though the old, traditional screw top is missing, the discs in this package are still made by Taiyo Yuden. And this new Taiyo Yuden packaging, while not quite as easy to spot as the old screw top packaging, is still quite distinctive. It has a little flare at the bottom, like the old packaging, and has a thin, corrugated base. Also, the shrink-wrap and the label are one and the same, as opposed to some other brands where clear shrink-wrap covers a paper label underneath. Finally, and probably most importantly, it still says "Made in Japan" on the label.

I will update the "how do you tell what media you have" thread as well.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Han on Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:19 pm

Here in Europe - to be more specific, in Slovenia - Fujifilm sells its own media, made in Germany. Discs look very nice, they are very well balanced, so there is almost zero vibration, and are of excellent quality. But I'm quite sure they are not made by Taiyo Yuden. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Han on Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby Ian on Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:29 pm

Yamaha sent me some of Fuji's own media when I was testing the CRW-F1. I didn't have a lot of discs to test, but I was pretty impressed by what I saw.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

Postby MediumRare on Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:56 am

Han wrote:Here in Europe - to be more specific, in Slovenia - Fujifilm sells its own media, made in Germany. Discs look very nice, they are very well balanced, so there is almost zero vibration, and are of excellent quality. But I'm quite sure they are not made by Taiyo Yuden. Any thoughts?

If you get German packaging, have a look at http://www.instantinfo.de/index_cdrohlinge.php or (in English) http://www.instantinfo.de/index_cdrohlinge_e.php (you probably know about this site). It's not quite up to date- the Intenso 12x CD-RWs are not listed- but it's very useful. Most Fuji media there are listed as "FUJI Photo Film Co., Ltd".

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby Han on Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:49 pm

Thanks for the links. Didn't know about that site - quite useful. :)

Looks like I'm going to switch from Mitsui to Fuji, mostly because of nice, better looking CDs, and lower price. :P
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby articulate on Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:55 pm

I once saw a bulk pack of supposed Fujis - not a spindle, but sort of shrink-wrapped on top of each other - being offered on eBay in Germany and I asked who manufactured them. They were supposedly obtained from Fuji and were made by... *Ritek*. :o
articulate
CD-RW Thug

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives