Home News Reviews Forums Shop

LTR-52246S Firmware

Burn baby burn!

Postby Dragon_Lord on Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:56 pm

damn i am stupid haha.. we will se if it will fix the problem..
thx man
Dragon_Lord
Buffer Underrun

LTR-52246S

Postby johnnyjt on Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:10 pm

I just upgraded Nero to 55917 and it still states burn speeds are 52x 8x and 4x. I think it needs a new firmware update! I have the Memorex 52x24x52x (6WS2) firmware and will flash LTR-52246S (which is 6S02) with it.

JohnnyJT :roll:
johnnyjt
Buffer Underrun

LTR-52246S

Postby johnnyjt on Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:35 pm

Yep! That did the trick! Now LTR-52246S will burn at ALL speeds in
NERO 55917

JohnnyJT :lol:
johnnyjt
Buffer Underrun

Postby dhc014 on Wed Nov 06, 2002 12:01 am

Very odd! Thanks for the info.
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby dhc014 on Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:30 pm

I just saw Sony Australia's announcement of the CRX220.

Real Box:

Fake box by cdrinfo:
dhc014
CD-RW Player

Postby Ian on Sat Dec 07, 2002 4:35 pm

dhc014 wrote:Fake box by cdrinfo:

lol.. no comment. :roll:

Sony America should be announcing this drive soon too. Hopefully we'll bring you a review of a real CRX220 shortly after that.
"Blu-ray is just a bag of hurt." - Steve Jobs
Ian
Grand Poobah

A question on my new CDRW.

Postby Gibbonz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:08 pm

I have recently purchased a LiteOn LTR-52246S, and so far it certainly does seem a bit good.

However, I'm unsure how to go about doing a 1:1 copy, and added to that, I'm not sure if the firmware revision (6S0A) is restricted in anyway...
Following instructions on another site for CloneCD, it says to set Error Correction to 'None', but CloneCD comes back saying that the drive dont support it and it sets it to Hardware :(

And before you ask, no its not for anything illegal. I cant be more honest when I say its to create backups of some my games.

Any help/pointers would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Ian.
Gibbonz
Buffer Underrun

Postby Gibbonz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:24 pm

Just to add, I've actually updated my firmware to 6S0C just now, so gonna try that..

Ian.

And that didnt help either, so now I ask, how do I apply the .bin file posted here earlier?
Gibbonz
Buffer Underrun

Postby Action Jackson on Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:44 pm

I've never had any problems backing up stuff with mine.

There are "profiles" for CloneCD and LiteON drives esp. the Securom feature. You might want to backup stuff to a CDRW and test it out before committing them to CDR.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=4141
Action Jackson
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:53 pm

Anybody backed up their UT2003 so far ?... and how !?? :-?
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby Gibbonz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:38 pm

It seems I've managed a successful 1:1 copy this time round using CDRWin 5.. The game in question (my test subject ;p) is C&C Generals.
The interesting thing is that in my DVD drive, the game must see it as if it were an original because the game runs, loads and seems happy with everything, yet sticking my backup disc in the CDRW drive it comes up saying please insert disc when you try run the game. This does not happen with the original disc.
Strange eh? - It's copied well enough it accepts it, but then it dont accept it if put in a cdrw... weird..

Ian.
Gibbonz
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:52 pm

you should "hide CDR media"
with some program such as CloneCD (system tray).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby Gibbonz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 9:58 pm

Ah :)
/me positively leaps over backwards...

So thats what that option did/does...
To me the CloneCD tray proggie didnt look that important so I turned it all off and closed it down.
I think I'll go re-enable :p

Does this setting have any affects on burning apps or the ability to do more 1:1 copies?

Cheers,
Ian.
Gibbonz
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:22 pm

Gibbonz wrote:The interesting thing is that in my DVD drive, the game must see it as if it were an original because the game runs, loads and seems happy with everything, yet sticking my backup disc in the CDRW drive it comes up saying please insert disc when you try run the game. This does not happen with the original disc.
Strange eh? - It's copied well enough it accepts it, but then it dont accept it if put in a cdrw... weird..

What's happening is that the program is checking to see if it is being run from recordable media, and refusing to run if it is. It does this by attempting to read the ATIP information on the disc. This makes for a very simple form of copy protection.

The CD-R copy works in your DVD-ROM drive and, if you had one, your CD-ROM drive, because they can't read the ATIP information, and thus can't identify the disc as a recordable. Why can't they? Because they never had any need to, and the designers didn't build in the capability.

However, your CD-RW drive can read the ATIP information. Why? Because it needs it for burning the media. Thus, it does return the ATIP information and the program can identify the disc as a recordable and refuse to run. The "Hide CDR Media" option dodecahedron mentioned intercepts the ATIP read commands sent to the CD-RW drive and prevents the information from being returned, turning the drive into a simulated CD-ROM in this respect.

The "Hide CDR Media" option is disabled in systems whose locale is set to the U.S., although there are workarounds. The easiest workaround in your case, as you have already found, is to play your backups through your DVD-ROM drive.

The "Hide CDR Media" option will interfere with programs such as CDR Identifier, SMART-BURN, etc. that read the ATIP information from discs, since it will prevent them from getting the information as well. Anyway, it ought to interfere with these types of programs if it works as advertised. But I can't verify since I don't own Clone CD, and I have a U.S. locale system anyway.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Gibbonz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:30 pm

ah right :)
So i just turn it on/off as and when im recording with it or reading with it. Simple :)

Ian
Gibbonz
Buffer Underrun

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:31 pm

cfitz wrote:What's happening is that the program is checking to see if it is being run from recordable media, and refusing to run if it is. It does this by attempting to read the ATIP information on the disc. This makes for a very simple form of copy protection.

The CD-R copy works in your DVD-ROM drive and, if you had one, your CD-ROM drive, because they can't read the ATIP information, and thus can't identify the disc as a recordable. Why can't they? Because they never had any need to, and the designers didn't build in the capability.

However, your CD-RW drive can read the ATIP information. Why? Because it needs it for burning the media. Thus, it does return the ATIP information and the program can identify the disc as a recordable and refuse to run. The "Hide CDR Media" option dodecahedron mentioned intercepts the ATIP read commands sent to the CD-RW drive and prevents the information from being returned, turning the drive into a simulated CD-ROM in this respect.

The "Hide CDR Media" option is disabled in systems whose locale is set to the U.S., although there are workarounds. The easiest workaround in your case, as you have already found, is to play your backups through your DVD-ROM drive.

The "Hide CDR Media" option will interfere with programs such as CDR Identifier, SMART-BURN, etc. that read the ATIP information from discs, since it will prevent them from getting the information as well. Anyway, it ought to interfere with these types of programs. But I can't verify since I don't own Clone CD, and I have a U.S. locale system anyway.

cfitz

damn, another FAQ for me to make based on cfitz's excellent and indecently detailed replies :o :lol:
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:31 pm

Either that or just use your DVD-ROM for playback, and leave "Hide CDR Media" off all the time.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:33 pm

dodecahedron wrote:damn, another FAQ for me to make

Hey, before you do that, could you check the bit about interfering with CDR Identifier, etc.? Living in Israel you won't have the locale problem. So the only other thing you need is a copy of Clone CD. Do you already have one? It sounds like you might, based on your speedy reply to Gibbonz.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:10 pm

yes, enabling Hide CDR Media does prevent CDR Identifier and CDSpeed Disc Info from recognizing the disc.

LOL i don't use Hebrew in Control Panel -> Regional Options because i want the GUI to be in English not Hebrew.
i got my regional settings on English UK. why not Enlish US? so it doesn't mess up my hide CDR media and AWS :o :D
haven't yet downloaded the hack the enables them in English US.
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:23 pm

dodecahedron wrote:yes, enabling Hide CDR Media does prevent CDR Identifier and CDSpeed Disc Info from recognizing the disc.

Thanks. I had every reason to believe that it would, but it is best to get verification.

dodecahedron wrote:i got my regional settings on English UK. why not Enlish US? so it doesn't mess up my hide CDR media and AWS :o :D
haven't yet downloaded the hack the enables them in English US.

Well, using any of the non-U.S. English locales is one of the proven work-arounds, so you are in good company. :)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Previous

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives