Home News Reviews Forums Shop

FM Tuner

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

FM Tuner

Postby BuddhaTB on Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:55 pm

I've been wanting to listen to the radio on my computer now that I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card paired up with my Logitech Z-560 speakers. The question is, are there any PCI cards or USB devices that only have radio tuners on them? I also don't want to spend too much money on such a card/device either. Most of the add-in cards that I've seen all have TV and radio tuners built in. I don't really have the need for a tv tuner right now, as I have a 13" tv in the same room and haven't even used the Video In/Out feature on my graphics card. If anyone could shed some light on this question, I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby nypk on Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:23 am

There're lots of tutorial outthere teach you how to use the Video In/Out feature on graphics card as eviqualent to BlackBox and U can enjoy full channel even with the aid of software U can listen to FM.AM.SM:) even satellite Radio. So U see the Beauty of Hack? :lol:
nypk
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:06 am

I don't think there is much of a market for dedicated FM tuner cards. Apparently an outfit name Gemtek used to make a selection, but I don't think they sell them anymore. Here is a cute toy that might suit your needs:

( http://www.dlink.com/products/usb/dsbr100/ )

I have no idea how well it works. It lists for $99 but goes for $37. I suspect you are probably better off just buying a boom box. Either that or a combined TV/FM tuner card, even though you said you don't need the TV part.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Dlink makes one

Postby Justin42 on Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:07 am

I have one of the Dlink DSBR100's, they're pretty decent as long as you get good radio reception normally...

They seem to be charging $99 to order it directly (!?!) but I got mine for like $25 about a year ago and I think it had a $10 rebate... not sure what the deal with the price hike is, look around. It plugs into your soundcard's line-in or mic jacks, has 30 presets, etc. Pretty good sound.

http://www.dlink.com/products/usb/dsbr100/

(WOW, we posted the same thing at just about the same time!!)
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Re: Dlink makes one

Postby cfitz on Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:14 am

Justin42 wrote:(WOW, we posted the same thing at just about the same time!!)

It happens from time to time. :wink: But it is good to get the word from someone with personal experience. Thanks for the input.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:49 am

Thanks cfitz and Justin42. I think if that D-Link USB FM tuner drops below $20 I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work well, I'm sure Fry's will take it back for a refund. :wink:
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

They should be fairly cheap, if you can find one...

Postby Justin42 on Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:09 pm

They may not go to $20 but you really shouldn't have to pay any more than $30. I think it's a model they run occasional batches of, as when I first wanted one it took a while to find, I got it, and it was horrible (bad sound, the drivers were horrible). I returned it, and then heard updated drivers fixed a lot of the problems... so I tried to find a new one and couldn't for like 6 months... then suddenly they were all over again. Strange.
Justin42
CD-RW Player

Postby BuddhaTB on Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:11 pm

The cheapest I found was $33 online. I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay that much for one now, but I'll wait and see.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Thu Feb 27, 2003 10:42 pm

I would suggest Newegg.com, they have some great FM tuners with TV tuners built in. They only cost around $40 or less. Just click all categories, and scroll about all the way down to video, and click the tuner card link or something like that. There are some awesome ones and if you are paying the same amount, it cant hurt to have a tv tuner. (your monitor would probably be bigger.
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion