Home News Reviews Forums Shop

How can you try out a Seagate 15.3K SCSI HD in person?

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

How can you try out a Seagate 15.3K SCSI HD in person?

Postby imtim83 on Sun Mar 02, 2003 3:32 pm

I am wondering if there is anyway to try out a Seagate 15.3K SCSI HD in person like at a store, etc ? The reason i am asking this because i want to test out in person to feel the difference between the fastest SCSI HD vs the fastest IDE HD. I like being able to see if it feels much different. Sometimes i try to install a demo game, then download something else on the internet, then surf the internet, etc all at the same time. Sometimes i do more than that. I know you all are going to say a SCSI HD won't do me any good but i want to know if i can feel a pretty big difference like earth shattering with the Seagate 15.3K SCSI HD vs the fastest IDE HD.
I think in a way i will expect to much speed out of a Seagate 15.3K SCSI HD and be disappointed so thats why i wanted to see if there was anyway to feel the difference. I seem to tend to expect more out of piece of hardware sometimes.
Any help appreicated
Please Reply
Thanks
imtim83
CD-RW Player

Postby PresterJohn on Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:33 pm

i'm afraid not...

you'll have to do the benchmarks yourself or rely on another site/reviewer to do it.

performance-wise, scsi beats out ide when multiple disk i/o requests are queued. but this type of usage is uncommon for typical single user configurations and any real-world advantages benefits are more than negated by the considerably greater expense of scsi drives over their ide counterparts.

besides, SATA isn't that far away...
PresterJohn
Buffer Underrun

Postby imtim83 on Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:49 pm

PresterJohn will Serial ATA beable to do multiple disk i/o requests ? Guessing no.
Any help appreicated
Please Reply
Thanks
imtim83
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion