Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Need printer advice, e.g. dirty tricks to avoid

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Need printer advice, e.g. dirty tricks to avoid

Postby MediumRare on Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:46 pm

I have to replace my 11 year old DeskJet 500. I'm looking at a Canon i550 or i850 (single ink) or an HP 3820 (cheaper to buy).

I recall seeing somewhere that some printers have "dirty tricks" integrated- e.g. copious flushing of the jets when turned on (uses lots of ink) or built-in counters for the ink used that block the printer independent of the real amount remaining. I didn't pay much attention because I wasn't shopping for a printer. I am now, and need information. Can anyone comment if my candidates are affected and/or point me to a competent source of information?

General remarks or experience with these models are also appreciated.
Thanks.

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby CowboySlim on Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:49 pm

I bought a Canon i850 in January. Very happy with it - no dirty tricks that I'm aware of. My daughter has the Canon S520 that I previously used, same deal.

Cleans only at your command, not auto.

Both have four separate ink tanks so that you don't have to buy a complete deal when one color depletes. First time my yellow went out, I still had more than 1/2 blue and red and almost all black.

Check reader's reviews at Amazon or www.cnet.com.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:19 am

Thanks Slim,
I had a short glance at cnet. The i850 seems to do well with the users. One point is the so-so b&w capability on normal paper mentioned in the review. Since I haven't used colour to date, the b&w performance is important to me. What is your experience with "fuzziness" or whatever?

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Postby CowboySlim on Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:58 pm

I bought mine mainly for photos. As such, those comments with respect to B&W did not dissuade me. However, the little B&W text that I've done looks excellent to me. I made a letter of recommendation for a friend of ours last week and she, my wife and I all thought that it looked perfect.

If you are a primarily B&W user, you most certainly want separate tanks, at least a separate B. Otherwise, you'll be tossing out $40 in color ink every time you deplete $10 of black.

You might also start at www.steves-digicams.com and find a link to color inkjet printer reviews, including the subject Canon.

Good luck,
Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby MediumRare on Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:46 pm

Well I bought the Canon i850 today. Haven't had much time to play around with it other than a couple of test prints, but I have no cause to complain (yet?). The B&W printing is definitely not worse than the old DJ500 8) , so its progress in any case. I suspect my colour usage will be there (now that its possible).

Have to get to bed now- close to midnight.

Incidentally: 2 more dirty tricks:
- use a bit of colour in B&W prints "to improve the grey shading" (HP, can be disabled in driver)
- "copyright" protection for otherwise useless chip in ink cartridge (Lexmark). See this link (in German) for a satyrical note on that.

Thanks for your help. :D

G
MediumRare
CD-RW Translator

Return to General Hardware Discussion