Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero 5.5.10.7b Problems Help Please (New User)

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero 5.5.10.7b Problems Help Please (New User)

Postby wlc on Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:19 pm

1) Help Files are not available in Nero ( Latest Language Pack has been downloaded and installed ).
2) Cannot use Test (no actual burning) or Test and burn since they are grayed out ( Removing the checkmark in Buffer Underrun still don't allow
these functions to be used ). Copy a CD has same conditions.
3) Rules are not clear without help files on "Burn On The Fly" without first writing to the HDD and using DAO.
4) Desired condition is to burn from the Teac-540E as a source and use the test and burn option without copying files to the HDD while allowing DAO SafeBurn to function on the 3200E.

Thanks In Advance for any Help.

System Configuration:
MB Soyo SY-6KL
333 Mhz Celeron
288 Mb RAM
C: Seagate 33210A 3.25 Gb Primary Master
D: Seagate 320410A 20.4 Gb Primary Slave
E: Yamaha 3200E CDRW Secondary Master
F: Teac 540E CDROM Secondary Slave

Nero 5.5.10.7b ( INCD Not Installed )
Roxio Ecdc 5.3.4.21 Direct CD Installed
wlc
Buffer Underrun

Forgot Op Sys

Postby wlc on Fri Mar 07, 2003 3:38 pm

Op System is Win98SE.
Was hoping to get some reply's on these problems but it don't look very promising at this point. Still hoping for some help. Thanks
wlc
Buffer Underrun

Postby KCK on Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:20 pm

On my 98SE box, the help works for Nero 5.5.10.7b installed by running nero55107b.exe and n551007eng.exe.

Thus your Nero installation seems to be broken for some reason.

The first possibility is that your installation files are corrupt. You may download nero55107b.exe and n551007eng.exe from ftp://ftp.nero.com , ftp://ftp4.nero.com , ftp://ftp6.nero.com , ftp://ftp.us.nero.com or ftp://ftp4.us2.nero.com (unfortunately these sites change every day, so look around).

Normally there is no need for removing the previous version before installing another one. However, if this doesn't work, a cleaner installation may be obtained as follows. If you don't have the serial number (e.g., after an upgrade from an OEM version), run Start | Run| regedit and copy the serial number listed in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ahead\Nero - Burning ROM\Info\Serialx

Then use Control Panel| Add/Remove Programs for uninstalling Nero, and delete the directory C:\Program Files\Ahead (to get rid of possible remnants of help files, etc). Finally, install Nero and the Language pack. (Before installation, it may be wise to clean your TEMP and TMP directories, and to stop all other programs, including your antivirus checker.)

The second possibility is that you installed a Language pack for another version of Nero (e.g., for the latest 5.5.10.15a). Then try to download and install n551007eng.exe as above.

Alternatively, you may download and install the latest version of Nero 5.5.10.15a and its Language pack from Ahead's site.

Finally, you could take a look at Nero Quick Start Guide and Manual

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/quickstartmanual/Ne ... rt_ENG.ZIP

ftp://ftp6.nero.com/manual/NeroBurningRom_ENG.ZIP
KCK
CD-RW Player

Re: Nero 5.5.10.7b Problems Help Please (New User)

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:45 pm

wlc wrote:1) Help Files are not available in Nero ( Latest Language Pack has been downloaded and installed ).

If KCK's tips don't work for you, then just look for the file NeroBurningRom_eng.chm. It will typically be in the directory:

C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero

The NeroBurningRom_eng.chm file is the help file in newer versions of Nero, and you can view it directly without utilizing Nero. Just double-click it.

wlc wrote:2) Cannot use Test (no actual burning) or Test and burn since they are grayed out ( Removing the checkmark in Buffer Underrun still don't allow these functions to be used ).

What kind of compilation are you burning? I can simulate on my 3200EZ using Nero 5.5.9.17 when I uncheck the "Buffer underrun protection" box. Have you tried unchecking it in the "Choose Recorder" dialog to see if that makes any difference?

wlc wrote:3) Rules are not clear without help files on "Burn On The Fly" without first writing to the HDD and using DAO.

All you need to do is check "On the fly" on the "Copy options" tab. When you select "on the fly" in Nero, it doesn't write a temporary image file on the hard drive.

wlc wrote:4) Desired condition is to burn from the Teac-540E as a source and use the test and burn option without copying files to the HDD while allowing DAO SafeBurn to function on the 3200E.

It is definitely a good idea to test this configuration, since you have both the source and destination drives on the same IDE channel. In general it is recommended to have the source and destination drives on separate channels when copying on the fly. But since you will only be burning at 24x, you may be able to get away with having both drives on the same channel.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:20 pm

Hey, KCK & cfitz,

I noticed that on his last two lines he's got a mix & non-match deal: Nero & DirectCD.

Do you speculate that may be a source of the problem(s)?

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 07, 2003 10:30 pm

Nero and DirectCD can generally live together in peace. What you don't want to mix is InCD and DirectCD, which he is not.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:00 am

Yeah, I accept that, didn't think that it was as bad as mixing the packet writers. Thought it might be a possibility.

Still, kinda' wondering why the DirectCD is in the mix as Nero and InCD come bundled with the Yamaha 3200E.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 08, 2003 12:27 am

Well, that's a question for wlc. But I will say that if one wants to use packet-writing software, Direct CD does have at least one advantage over InCD: Direct CD can packet-write to CD-R media as well as CD-RW while InCD only works with CD-RW. Personally, I am content to just write multi-session ISO 9660 discs, but being able to packet-write to CD-R may be convenient for some people who want the convenience of packet writing but either don't trust the reliability of CD-RW media or want to write at higher speeds than CD-RW affords.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby wlc on Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:15 am

Wow: First let me Thank Everyone for their inputs, Appreciate them.

In the interm I contacted Craig Campbell at Ahead who was nice enough to email me the Help files NeroBurningRom_ENG.chm and NeroExpress_ENG.CHM. After I received them and knew the filenames I located the files on my system in C:\WINDOWS\Temp\Nero.tmp which is apparently where the upgrade install put them.

KCK: I will investigate your suggestions as time allows. You are correct as I also suspected the 5.5.10.15 language pack only has the NeroCoverDesigner_ENG.chm files and not the others. The Quickstart and BurningRom Zip's I already had downloaded.

cfitz: I think I have tryed unchecking the item you suggest but will double check. Compilation I was trying was from a single audio CD with and without the Wizard unchecking the Buffer underrun protection box still leaves the options mentioned grayed out.

CowboySlim/cfitz: Yes I do have DirectCD instead of INCD installed. I am more use to DirectCD and it also has the advantage of formatting CDR's so prefer it for those reasons.

CDCopy function in Nero seems to work fine on-the-fly, have had one coaster however it appears that the TDK CDR had a Scratched surface so suspect the problem was media ( 1/25 not a real high failure rate ).

Some of my confusion was in this area with out the help files:
The Compilation Info /Audio CD/CDA Options/General settings/
Tempfile strategy
Reference strategy
Device strategy
Diskspace strategy

Track reference settings
Cache the track on harddisk before burning

Final comments:
Thanks again hopefully when I get more up to speed I can return the favors and help someone else.

Lastly in this day of Ridiculas downright incompetent Hardware and Software Tech Support it is a Genuine pleasure to contact someone like Craig Campbell and acutually get support gives one a warm feeling 4Sure!!
wlc
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 08, 2003 1:58 am

wlc wrote:Compilation I was trying was from a single audio CD with and without the Wizard unchecking the Buffer underrun protection box still leaves the options mentioned grayed out.

I double-checked an audio compilation on my system (W2K, Nero 5.5.9.17, Yamaha CRW-3200EZ) and found that I could simulate the burn with Nero's traditional interface and the Express interface, but not with the Wizard. Have you tried Nero Express? It really isn't bad, and in terms of a simplified interface, I think it is much nicer than the Wizard. I can't think of anything else to suggest at this time.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby CowboySlim on Sat Mar 08, 2003 11:38 am

cfitz wrote:Personally, I am content to just write multi-session ISO 9660 discs, but being able to packet-write to CD-R may be convenient for some people who want the convenience of packet writing but either don't trust the reliability of CD-RW media or want to write at higher speeds than CD-RW affords.

I use the multi session ISO method everytime that I D/L from my camera. It's a perfect way to securely save them for my children and not end up with an untold number of CD-Rs with 20 - 30 photos each. I actually leap frog back and forth between 2 CD-Rs so that I've always got 2 long term copies. However, with the leap frog, between D/Ls, I've only one copy on CD-R, temporarily. So then I do D&D copy to a CD-RW of that most recent photo set. Also print out thumbnails of each D/L and file in a binder. Seems a lot better way to get back to old photos than holding up a 35mm negative strip to the light (if you could ever come up with the strip).

That seems to me to be one of the great benefits of digital photography working with the CD-RW drives. How could I ever find those negatives of 20 years ago that are here somewhere, if anywhere?

I can understand the convenience of D&D to CD-R media, which InCD lacks. Thinking about it.........................

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Postby wlc on Mon Mar 10, 2003 7:05 pm

cfitz wrote:
I can simulate on my 3200EZ using Nero 5.5.9.17 when I uncheck the "Buffer underrun protection" box. Have you tried unchecking it in the "Choose Recorder" dialog to see if that makes any difference?

cfitz:These are some of my findings to date, Thanks wlc:

Fails: Test (no actual burning) & Test and Burn [Grayed Out]
Compilation Info .../Burn Tab
Buffer underrun protection ( Unchecked )

Works: Test (no actual burning) & Test and Burn [Not Grayed Out]
Recorder/Choose Recorder/Yamaha 3200E
Options Buffer underrun protection enabled ( Unchecked )

Test (no actual burning)
24x Fails
16x Works
Yanmaha CRW3200E
Buffer Underrun Protection activated (*** Drive Not Nero or Both ??? )
simulation started at 16x
simulation successfull at 16x
3:29

Audio data copied to C:TempNero HDD 13 Tracks 47:16.09
** Wonder if this means Yamaha's SafeBurn is ON or OFF on 3200E for
this condition and Test & burn??

Note:Disk Copier ( Roxio 5.3.4.21 ) Test & Copy
with Buffer Underrun Prevention Checked
Fails Test & Copy at 16x must be ran at 12x to work
wlc
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:27 pm

wlc wrote:Test (no actual burning)
24x Fails
16x Works
Yanmaha CRW3200E
Buffer Underrun Protection activated (*** Drive Not Nero or Both ??? )
simulation started at 16x
simulation successfull at 16x
3:29

Audio data copied to C:TempNero HDD 13 Tracks 47:16.09
** Wonder if this means Yamaha's SafeBurn is ON or OFF on 3200E for
this condition and Test & burn??

I'm not 100% sure, but I think on some drives you have to turn off "Buffer Underrun Protection" during a test so that Nero can detect an underrun condition. I suspect that the Yamaha doesn't report anything went wrong if the underrun protection is enabled. Once you have done that, Nero tests as if the burn was normal, and can then detect buffer underruns.

It is a little odd that disabling the buffer underrun protection in the choose recorder dialog works, but not in the burn compilation window. Oh well, maybe that is one of those things that got broken in an upgrade, since my older version doesn't have that problem. If you want you could upgrade to the latest version and see if got re-fixed (and see what else that was fixed got broken... :( ).

I don't recommend that you use "Test and Burn" with your configuration, since in order to test you have to disable the buffer underrun protection. And even if the test passes, there is a chance that during the actual burn a buffer underrun condition could occur. You want to be protected against that. So, test with underrun protection disabled, then enable it and do the actual burn. I think after a while you will probably get a good feel for what condtions allow you to burn underrun-free, and will get tired of doing testing. But that is your choice.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby wlc on Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:19 pm

cfitz:
Again:Thanks for the input.

I intend to stay at 16x with

Recorder/Choose Recorder/Yamaha 3200E
Options Buffer underrun protection enabled ( Checked )

After being able to run a simulation this hopefully gives me a better feel for the acceptable speed conditions with Nero and this hardware configuration. I Don't intend to upgrade at this time, don't seem to be broken that bad so won't fix it.

As you mentioned it would be more desirable to have the source and destination drives on seperate channels which can be done in this case by adding a third party 32-bit PCI DMA/133 IDE controller card. But will probably stay as is for now since it seems I can burn On-The-Fly with either software at 16x ( Nero ) or 12x ( Disk Copier ).
wlc
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:23 pm

Sounds like you have things under control to your satisfaction now. Good deal.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)