Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Gear Pro (Mastering Edition)

Anything else

Gear Pro (Mastering Edition)

Postby MikeTR on Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:30 am

Does anyone have experience with this software? The Mastering Edition is very expensive ($750), but the CD/DVD only version is more reasonably priced.
http://www.gearsoftware.com/products/matrix.cfm

It seems to be able to write to about any type of media from CD to Tape. Is it any good for CD/DVD writing as compared to Nero for example?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:51 am

The GEAR Mastering Edition is designed for volume production of DVD's and CD's in a professional mastering facility. As such, it is not suitable for one-off copies or typical non-commercial use. It adds layers of complexity and features which are unneeded and useful only in a commercial venture with a significant investment in hardware (jukeboxes, etc.). I would not recommend it unless you are involved with commercial volume production.

The GEAR Professional Edition does most of the same operations as the Mastering Edition, and is much better suited for the non-professional user. It's more straightforward without the unnecessary complexities of the Mastering Edition.

As for comparsions with Nero for CD/DVD writing, you can do this for yourself by downloading demos of the GEAR software. Both the Mastering and Professional Editions have free 15 day trial versions available for download.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:30 am

That pretty much makes the Mastering Edition overkill for a user like me. Figured as much, judging from the price and the 'Tape' features it has over the Professional edition.

Looking at the comparison matrix though, I don;t see any difference between the Professional Edition and the DVD Standard Edition. But since the Pro is almost twice as expensive as the Standard, there has to be some difference, not? What would that be?

As for testing it myself, I can hardly call myself an expert on the testing of various software packages. I just know what I like when i use it for a while. I'm quite happy with Nero for my normal burning duties, but just wondered what added features GEAR could provide. I was hoping for someone to already know about this. Everybody pretty much knows 'all' about Nero, but I have yet to see someone talking about GEAR.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Thu Mar 13, 2003 10:43 pm

MikeTR wrote:Looking at the comparison matrix though, I don;t see any difference between the Professional Edition and the DVD Standard Edition. But since the Pro is almost twice as expensive as the Standard, there has to be some difference, not? What would that be?

According to the matrix, the only difference is the Command/Batch File support capability of the Professional Edition. Most users would never use or need this capability, but for those that do, they have to pay a substantial premium.

As for testing it myself, I can hardly call myself an expert on the testing of various software packages. I just know what I like when i use it for a while. I'm quite happy with Nero for my normal burning duties, but just wondered what added features GEAR could provide. I was hoping for someone to already know about this. Everybody pretty much knows 'all' about Nero, but I have yet to see someone talking about GEAR.

Software tests by "experts" are not always useful unless they have exactly the same biases, preferences, and goals as a review reader. That's the whole point of trying a demo version of software, to see what you like or dislike according to your own preferences and comfort zone.

Most people that are happy with their current software will have no motivation to switch to another. If you are happy with Nero, I would recommend that you stick with it. For the home user, GEAR doesn't offer extra features of any significance. On the other hand, GEAR has been making a DVD burning package longer that most other burning software. Possibly this experience may avoid some of the bugs sometimes found in other products. This is just "maybe" speculation on my part.

Nero is one of the best values available for full featured, low cost burning software. The reason you don't hear much about GEAR is that their home user base is not as high as some other products.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Postby MikeTR on Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:31 am

Tnx for the reply Inertia.

Guess I have no reason to switch. I might play aroud with it a little though.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions