Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero CD-SPEED problems

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:09 pm

Aniv3, it looks like your system uses an SIS chipset. Is that correct? Some people have had trouble with SIS IDE controllers in the past. You might want to try updating your SIS drivers.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby dodecahedron on Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:26 pm

damn, how did i miss that?
good catch, cfitz.

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\siside.sys

at least i did ask the right question! (and didn't get the answer...)
dodecahedron wrote:system: motherboard/chipset

aniv, there have been a few reports of problems when using SIS based motherboards.
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... hlight=sis

a few more links in this post:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 7626#47626

although most of them were with plextor drives...

try uninstalling the SIS IDE drivers and going back to the Microsoft default ones. see if that helps.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 09, 2003 1:33 pm

dodecahedron wrote:damn, how did i miss that?

Because it was hidden in a huge dump of information, rather than answered directly as you requested?

dodecahedron wrote:good catch, cfitz.

Even better follow up, collecting the links like you did.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aniv3 on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:01 pm

1st - thx everybody 4 all the help... I really appreciate it...
and again, sorry bout that huge dump of info I posted, won't do it again...
bout CDDoctor - I've tried it, won't work on either of my driver (when I tried using the toshiba it just didn't respond, with the Sony - it seemed 2 work but it gave me an error msg and closed down)... never mind that...

so u say the SIS chipset might be the problem, well I haven't mentioned it directly till now, so: MY MB is ASUS P4S533 BIOS version 1008C
which is quite new (not the latest though - there's 1009 but it doesn't seem that different from the 1008C)
b4 I do anythin stupid (I mean my system runs just fine as it is - except 4 that damn CDspeed problem) -
Should I try 2 update the bus master IDE driver AND the Bios driver? (It might cause some problems, I'm not sure if I should update the Bios if it works fine in this current state)... or maybe JUST the bus master IDE driver?
or should I just uninstall the IDE driver and use Windows native driver?
won't it cause any problems in WinXP, with all the programs and stuff I have installed?

my knowledge in this area ain't that big and I don't just want 2 mess things up... what do u say ppl?
aniv3
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:27 pm

I would suggest trying the Microsoft driver first, since they sometimes work better with ATAPI drives (the third-party driver writers often concentrate on the hard drive aspects, and don't put as much effort into the ATAPI aspects). Just go to device manager, right-click the IDE controller, select "Properties"->"Driver"->"Update Driver"->"Display a list of all known drivers for this device so that I can select a specific driver." and select the Microsoft driver. Follow the prompts from there on out.

Since you are using XP, you might also want to create a system checkpoint before making changes so that it is easier to return to your original state.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aniv3 on Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:31 pm

some advice was that - as soon as I installed the windows native drivers - the system frose... so I hit the reset button... and... I couldn't load winXP no matter what I did!!!! that f*&ckin windows....
so I've formatted my drive - re-installed windows... I'm on a clean system now... haven't installed anythin yet (that includes my Geforce4400TI, sound card or what ever... not even the service pack)...
so, which IDE bus master driver should I install???
the latest from Asus??...
waitin 4 ur reply, ASAP.....
aniv3
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:45 pm

Well, I am truly sorry to hear that. That should not have happened. And for future reference, when you have such a problem you should at the very least try to boot to safe mode. Often that will allow you to repair what went wrong without rebuilding the system. You can also try to boot from an XP boot disc to repair the system.

What drivers do you have installed right now?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aniv3 on Tue Mar 11, 2003 1:27 pm

if I didn't say it clearly - I did try safe mode and every other mode 4 that matter, I just couldn't get Winxp 2 load....
anyway, bcuz of my previous expereience with the windows native driver I'm going 2 try the updated asus drive right now... hope that'll work...
aniv3
Buffer Underrun

Postby aniv3 on Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:59 pm

aha!!!! GR8 newZ!!! I've finally got the bastard workin!!!...
It seems as if the latest IDE drive did the trick.... 8)

HOWEVER, I've encountered something very strange:
My Toshiba DVD-ROM performs just fine with any type of CD I've tried...
But my Sony CRX175A1 acts weird:
when I run the Scandisk test or the CD qualitytest or Burst rate test 4 example, WITH ANY TYPE of disc everythin worked fine ...
But when I tried the CPU usage test or the tranfser test with an AUDIO CD -it froze... but when I used a data CD all the tests went just fine...
what's goin on here?
can any1 explain this?
should I relate 2 this as a problem or just leave it alone?
aniv3
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:08 pm

aniv3 wrote:aha!!!! GR8 newZ!!! I've finally got the bastard workin!!!...
It seems as if the latest IDE drive did the trick.... 8)

That is good news. For the benefit of others in the future, can you tell us the particular latest driver with which you had success?

aniv3 wrote:But when I tried the CPU usage test or the tranfser test with an AUDIO CD -it froze... but when I used a data CD all the tests went just fine...

Have you tried more than one audio CD? If not, then maybe that particular CD is troublesome for your Sony. Does the Sony otherwise play and rip audio CDs okay using software other than CD Speed?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby aniv3 on Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:22 pm

for the ASUS p4s533:
driver version: 2.02.01.0...
I've tried a few audio cd's - got the same problem...
haven't tried rippin yet, I'll do it and post the outcome soon... :wink:
aniv3
Buffer Underrun

Postby aniv3 on Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:00 pm

finally I had some time 2 do some testin...
well, my sony rips and burns just fine (used EAC 4 the rippin)...
so CFITZ, should I worry bout this little troublesome thing or just leave it alone?
aniv3
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 21, 2003 5:09 pm

My general motto is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Granted, in your situation it is somewhat "broke", but how often do you need to run transfer rate or CPU usage tests on audio CDs? Not often. So in my opinion the benefit to be gained isn't worth the effort and potential troubles required to attempt to fix it.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Previous

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)