Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Which Backup Software?

Anything else

Which Backup Software?

Postby georgeg on Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:40 pm

What software would you recommend for backing up my hard drives? I've got two computers to maintain, one running Win98 and one on Win XP Pro, so the software needs to run on both systems. Any opinions?
georgeg
CD-RW Thug

Postby jamessampson on Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:19 pm

I use PowerQuest Drive Image 4 which works well. The latest version DriveImage 2002 supports Win98/98SE/Me/2000 and XP. You can backup the drive onto floppys (although it will require lots of them), CD's or to a seperate harddrive or a partition of the same drive.

I've partitioned my 20GB harddrive into a C and D partition (using PowerQuest Partition Magic 6) The D drive is a complete backup of the C drive. It takes around an hour to back up 14GB of mixed files.

It costs around £45-50 in UK, so probably around $60-70 USD. I don't know of any other programs to do the same thing, but DriveImage should work fine.

Link to the DriveImage website -
http://www.powerquest.com/driveimage/
jamessampson
Buffer Underrun

Postby CowboySlim on Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:07 pm

George,

I use the Dantz Retrospect Express S/W. It does backups to tapes, CDs and files (other HDD partitions). It includes a disaster recovery and restore capability that generates a file that you can burn out to make a boot/recovery CD (should work with XP Pro, 98??). I've used it to recover and restore from complete freezes after which I can't boot normally.

Slim
CowboySlim
CD-RW Player

Return to General Software Questions