Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CenDyne 52 x 24 x 52 burner

Burn baby burn!

CenDyne 52 x 24 x 52 burner

Postby imadreamer2 on Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:22 am

My new cendyne (Lite-On 52246s) won't burn to blank cd-r's. I am able to add to cd-r's that had a session already burned but have been unable to get a blank cd-r recognized. The box says it works with win 98 ect and so forth but cen dyne has told me it doesn't support win98. Per cendyne site I updated my aspi layer and it still didn't work. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Nero burning rom to see if it was the install. Still I can add to sessions but can't see the blank. It says no medium present. I tried a trial version of NTI after uninstalling Nero completely and the same thing, I can burn to a session cd-r but not a blank. Adaptec easy cd creator didn't even see the burner let alone the blank. It reads data and plays music and burns to a session cd-r but doesn't see blanks. Five different brands. Running windows 98 with all updates and patches. And I may soon be able to upgrade to win 98 se but what if that doesn't work. Why would it burn to a partially burned cd-r but not to a blank cd -r?

I should add that Lite-On says I need to go to CenDyne first before they will look at my issue so to speak. CenDyne gave me one answer it won't work on win98 but update the aspi layer. Which I did.
imadreamer2
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:39 pm

Sounds like it may be a bad drive. The LTR-52246S most certainly will work on Windows 98, as will Nero:

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/english/new_ ... 522452.htm
http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#c1002822593674

In fact they both say they even support Windows 95. I can personally vouch for both working on Windows 98, since I have tried them on my Windows 98 system.

What version of ASPI are you using? If you don't need it for anything else, try uninstalling it (ForceASPI should help with that - find it via Google), uninstalling Nero, and then doing another clean install of Nero without any system-level ASPI installed.

Also, what do Nero InfoTool and CD Speed report when a blank CD is in the drive?

Finally, try downloading SMART-BURN and see what it says when you have a blank CD in the drive:

http://www.liteonit.com.tw/zip/SMARTBURN.zip

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby imadreamer2 on Sat Mar 15, 2003 4:36 pm

WNASPI32.DLL One version Adaptec version 4.60(1019) in C:\Windows\System
One version Nero Aspi Library version 2.0.1.50 in C:\Program Files\Nero\Migrate

The second link you gave me talked about having a NEROAPIX.VXD in windows\system\losubsys, it's not there nor is it anywhere on my c drive and a find file for it on the nero cd comes up empty too. Although I don't get any of the error messages listed, just the medium not present.

Smartburn is installed.

The Nero InfoTool for CD Speed with a blank in the drive still says no blank in drive.

I tried deleteing each of the winaspi dlls to see if deleting one or the other affected it. No it didn't.

Changed the secondary master to disable ultra dma.

At http://www.nero.com/en/index.html#c1002822798638 it talks about disableing busmastering which I also tried following the instructions there.
No go either.

Since it is a Lite-On Manufactured for CenDyne and it is registered at Cendyne I went there first.

Will find the ForceASPI and try that to see what happens.

I just ran the Nero cd speed tool with a sessions cd-r in and it told me the following
Manufacturer : Ricoh
Code : 97m27s66f
Disc Type : CD-R
Usage : General
Recording Layer : Dye Type 6: Short Strategy (Phthalocyanine)
Recording Speed : n/a
Capacity : 74:12.00
652 MB
Additional Capacity : n/a
Overburn Capacity : not tested

The Nero drive speed ran and told me all kinds of things, but if I put a blank in all of a sudden it doesn't see a burner at all. Couldn't figure out how to save the test with the sessions cd-r in.

And the third nero info tool tells me all kinds of stuff with a sessions cd=r in but nothing with a blank. Correction it gives the same info with a blank minus the medium infol. Saved the txt files.
imadreamer2
Buffer Underrun

Postby imadreamer2 on Sat Mar 15, 2003 11:11 pm

I am sure the cd burner is ok. I took it to my brother-in-laws and we installed the burner on his cp. The main cp has Adaptec Easy CD Creator and it did not see it. But my sisters computer has Nero on it. Trying it on that one Nero didn't see the burner but xp burner did and he burned a file to the cd-r. Then he went to Nero and updated his burning rom and then it saw the burner and blank medium. So that at least proves it works on his system, now is the burning rom or my old antiquated system.

My specs MaxTech 3000,400mghtz pent 2, 3.4 gig Maxtor Diamond 4320 Ultra ATA HD, 252 mb ram plus the 4 for video, mother board Daewoo CB649M-SI, IE 5.5 sp2, win98 first edition
imadreamer2
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 16, 2003 1:00 am

Have you tried updating your computer to the latest version of Nero as well? (version 5.5.10.15a)

http://www.nero.com/en/content/download.html

Do you have any other burning software installed?

By the way, you didn't say what you see when running SMART-BURN (the program, not the technology name) with a blank drive in the system. Or did I miss that?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby imadreamer2 on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:06 am

With a blank in it said absolutely nothing. But I did update nero to version 5.5.10.15a and guess what? I just burned three blank cd's. I think I may still have an issue but at least I got some burned. When I click the medium info icon it still says no medium but if I activate the burning rom and just follow the wizard as if I am certain it will recognize the medium it lets me do the compilation, then when I click burn it does. When I burned my motherboard manual to the cd-r it did give me a warning block that said there was a read error did I want to burn anyway. I clicked yes and it did and verified the data. The third one I did just picking one of my d/l program exe 's after it had burned it, nero lost the burner and now said I only had the virtual recorder but rebooting brought it back. At any rate after fighting this thing for almost 15 days I think I have a success.

No I don't have any other burning softwae installed. I did try NTI and Adaptec Easy CD Creator but uninstalled through the control panel, then ran jv16 power tool registry checker and pulled all references to them. I even ran regedit find nti, find adaptec, and deleted every key it found. I did this with nero before trying the nti then with nti befo trying the easy cd creator then with easy cd creator before reinstalling nero.

Maybe I misunderstood the smart-burn thing also. On the select recorder screen it lists the virtual image recorder and the LTR52246s and when I highlight the burner on the bottom of the block is an options square, when clicked it shows a block that says Smart Burn enabled with a check mark in it I just lost the burner again, although when I put a cd in it comes back. To what directory should I put the Smart Burn.zip in right now I just put it in my dummy file where i put d/l til I figure out what to do next.
imadreamer2
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:23 am

imadreamer2 wrote:At any rate after fighting this thing for almost 15 days I think I have a success.

Have you tried updating your IDE controller's drivers?

imadreamer2 wrote:Maybe I misunderstood the smart-burn thing also. <snip> To what directory should I put the Smart Burn.zip in right now I just put it in my dummy file where i put d/l til I figure out what to do next.

Yes, it is a bit confusing. SMART-BURN is the name LiteOn gave to their technology for adjusting burning parameters to maximize burn quality and minimize coasters, but it is also the name of a little utility they wrote that will tell you what speed the SMART-BURN technology will burn your disc.

Inside the zip file is a simple executable that requires no installation. Just drop it into the directory of your choice and then double-click it to run the SMART-BURN utility. I personally put it into the "Nero Toolkit" directory in the Nero installation directory, and then add a shortcut to the "Nero Toolkit" start menu item.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:16 am

imadreamer2:

It won't hurt to check your drivers. So could you list your C:\Windows\System\IOSUBSYS directory and the cd*.dll files in C:\Windows\System? See S11 in the guide

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9597
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby hoxlund on Sun Mar 16, 2003 12:46 pm

what about your burner's firmware version, if you need to check it or update it, go here: http://forum.firmware-flash.com/dl_firm ... ad_id=1442

thats specifacly for your LTR-52246S
Thermaltake Core X5 Snow Edition TG Case
Corsair RM1000 Power Supply
MSI X399 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
AMD Threadripper 1950x @ 4.1GHz
Custom Loop w/ EK MSI x399 Monoblock
G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 3200 RGB Memory
MSI 1080Ti Lightning X Video Card
hoxlund
CD-RW Player

Postby imadreamer2 on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:54 pm

Yep my C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS directory is a bit behind. This week I should be getting the win 98se upgrade cd and hopefully I can then update those drivers.

I had been looking at the firmware and knew there were updates to it but the other techs I been working with thought I needed to hold off on that till we found out some things about my mobo and bios. Until a week or so ago I had no idea other than I did id it as daewoo. When I bought this computer there was no mobo manual and actually no instructions how to use the driver disc they did include, so it took me a while to figue out how to use that myself. So at any rate this has been good cause it forced me to finally once and for all find the mobo manual and get a better handle on what I can do and cant. Believe me the MaxTec site has been no help.

That was one of the other things I did try to update the ide controlers. This statement in a readme file on my drivers cd : Notice:
* Does SIS IDE driver support for Windows 98 & Windows 95 OSR2 ?
Ans: Yes, but SiS recommand to use Windows 98 & Windows 95 OSr2
default PIO/ DMA driver to get more function supported.
And others basically if I understand what I was reading said the drivers from the win98 cd were recommended and when I click update drivers the window said I had the best drivers for my system. Even totally removing them and letting the system find new drivers windows kept selecting the same drivers. Well as soon as I get the second edition cd I will need to update them as well.

I fell confident now that I will probably get some of the update stuff I need off the 98 second edition update . At any rate, I checked nero before even checking my mail this afternoon and, I wasn't dreaming I made a copy of the drivers cd from Max Tech. On a new blank cd-r.

I am going to follow up on your suggestions as I think these updates will help all along. That coupled with what I have learned from actually finally getting a mobo manual have helped. I have learned so much beyond getting the cd burner to burn, its amazing. I think I am becoming a bit more computer literate, thanks to all you guys who are willing to share your knowledge.

The biggest help was upgrading Nero 5.5.10.13 to 5.5.10.15a. I just thought that they would include software with new hardware that worked.

imadreamer2 :D In God We Trust
imadreamer2
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it may help others in the future. Good luck with the SE updates, and let us know how things work out.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby imadreamer2 on Mon Mar 24, 2003 2:51 pm

Ok, heres an update. After upgrading to win98se I noticed some of the files in the system/iosubsys as listed in s11 of http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9597 were upgraded to an even higher version and a couple of them I'm still working on and a couple I find I don't need. The burner appears to be working fine and all the brands of cd-r's and cd-rw's that were previously unrecognized are working ok. I even made the mistake of copying data to a cd-r music that was given to me. I thought you couldn't burn data to a music cd-r. It also appears that I can still burn at 52 to a cd-r rated at 36, at least that's what the burn completed message says: successfuly burned at 52.

I did find when doing sessions cd's I have to make certain I note on the cd-r or cd-rw which iso.nri it is cause it's a pain to sort if out later but it appears to be working like a dream. I am certain the biggest part of it was updateing nero v 5.5.10.13 that was shipped with it to nero v 5.5.10.15a. For now based on a statement at lite-on about flashing the firmware, don't do it just to do it, or something to that affect, I think I will not for now and just burn my merry way to whereever.
imadreamer2
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 24, 2003 3:08 pm

Thanks for the update.

You can burn data to a music CD-R. The only thing you can't do is burn a regular (non-music) CD-R in a consumer-grade stand-alone stereo component CD recorder. They require the music CD-R discs. Here is a bit more info:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 0778#30778
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 9639#49639

Also, check out the tip for viewing real-time burning speed in Nero:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9476

As for upgrading the firmware, you can feel free to do it or not. If everything is working fine for you and you are getting good burns (speed and quality) on the media you are using, it is probably just as well to play it safe and leave the firmware alone. But just so you know in case you ever do want to upgrade your firmware, there are tools for restoring firmware and downgrading firmware (reverting to an earlier version) that work with drives using MediaTek chipset (such as your LiteOn).

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby KCK on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:43 pm

imadreamer2:

Since your system appears to be functioning properly, I wouldn't worry too much about the contents of your IOSUBSYS directory.

It is true that the default 98SE installation includes several files that are not necessary on most systems. I have not bothered to remove such files on my 98SE boxes; hence they listed in S11.1 of the InCD guide.

Anyway, if you wish, you may list your IOSUBSYS directory here, and I might be able to provide further advice.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives