Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Shared Ram for Video memory on laptops

CPU's? Motherboards? Video cards? Talk about it here.

Shared Ram for Video memory on laptops

Postby bto on Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:53 pm

I have a question about the Video chips on laptos utilizing the RAM from the computer. Mainly because I intend to get a laptop in the near future and the one I'm lloking at has a Radeon 7500 with up to 64 MB of shared video memory. Not a big problem, mainly because total system ram is 1GB.

My question is: is it a major performance difference, say, between this one and one that has an Nvidia Geforce 420 with its own 32MB?.

PS, it is now dedicated to gaming, maybe from time to time, but it's mainlya portable workstation.

Thanks.
-------------------------
-bto
_______
"Breaking the beat others wished they broke
Bassline so dope that you just might choke."
bto
CD-RW Thug

Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup and to the left of the coleslaw.

Postby BuddhaTB on Sat Mar 15, 2003 7:01 pm

I would personally go with the Nvidia chip with the dedicated RAM if the price difference isn't much. By having the extra dedicated RAM, DVD's and videos you play on the latop will also be of better quality with a sharper picture. Additonally, it will benefit you greatly when playing games on the laptop too. Make sure to get that 15" screen on your laptop because its well worth it.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Han on Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:27 am

Avoid the shared RAM configuration. Special graphics DDR memory is much faster and doesn't conflict with any application. I'd choose ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 or 9600 series (7500 is also good, but considerably slower) with 64 MB RAM. Nvidia doesn't have as good decoding capabilities and doesn't support SmoothVision for better looking motion pictures (DivX movies look terrible on LCD screen thru Nvidia graphics).
Han
CD-RW PiMP

Postby bto on Sun Mar 16, 2003 4:48 pm

Hmmm....thanks Buddha and Han.

Well, it boils down to this:

Dell - P4 2.66GHZ, 40GB HDD, 512 RAM (DDR 2100), 32MB Radeon 7500, Combo drive, 15" screen. - apporx. $1450.

or

Compaq - P4 2.66GHz, 60GB HDD, 1024 GB RAM (DDR 2100), up to 64 MB or shared video memory with radeon 7500, Combo drive, 15" screen. - Approx. $1600.

In what I can see I get more memory and more space with the compaq with the only problem being shared memory.

This computer is to be used mostly as a workstation, not games. Stuff like Photoshop, Illustrator and other application, but not memory intensive. Maybe one game installed from time to time...but not a "game machine."

Seems I'll have to consider.
-bto
_______
bto
CD-RW Thug

Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup and to the left of the coleslaw.

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:31 pm

I would go for the Dell and then spend the extra money on upgrading the RAM yourself if you need over 1GB of RAM. Dell's overall quality is better than Compaq's. After using a Compaq for 3 years, I would personally stay away from them as they are very picky in terms of hardware upgrades and their software bundles are so-so.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby bto on Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:36 pm

thanks, buddha, always relieable, aren't we?

I'll go for a Dell...Inspiron 5100.

What RAM do you recommend for aftermarket (i'll just get it with 512 MB, and but another 512 later)?

Ans besides, 40GB should be fine, since I plan to buy an external firewire HDD (probably a WD 120GB USB2/firewire)
-bto
_______
bto
CD-RW Thug

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Mar 16, 2003 7:57 pm

bto wrote:thanks, buddha, always relieable, aren't we?

I'll go for a Dell...Inspiron 5100.

What RAM do you recommend for aftermarket (i'll just get it with 512 MB, and but another 512 later)?

Yes, I like reliable and quality. Samething can be said for cars. :wink:

For the RAM, I would get some from Kingston, Crucial, Mircron, Corsair, Mushkin, and Samsung. Any of those would be high quality. Maybe Dell will have some special deals on RAM when you place your order.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby KCK on Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:56 am

I have been using Dell laptops for several years. There are many reasons I would choose Dell over Compaq (HP now), one of them being the Dell users forum

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforu ... d=inspiron

It's a great source of information. I always visit it for a couple of weeks before buying the next laptop. Of course, as any other forum, it is sometimes flooded with negative reports (and, e.g., trolls that peddle for other vendors), but you will quickly get a general idea about what you intend to buy.
KCK
CD-RW Player

Postby bto on Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:57 pm

Hey, that's a useful link KCK, thanks.

Buddha, I will just buy a Dell with the default amount of memory and buy later on a Crucial 512 chip (it's 130)....much better than buying directly from Dell for 600 or something like that.

One other thing....with the introduction of the new inspiron 8500....should I go for a Pentium 4-M or a Pentium 4....the FSB of the P4 keeps me coming back to it (inspiron 5100), but the options offered in the 8500 (video card, among others) have me undecided. What do you think?.
-bto
_______
bto
CD-RW Thug

Postby BuddhaTB on Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:34 pm

bto, good idea on getting the RAM from crucial.

The decision on whether to get the Dell 8500 or the 5100 is a hard one to make. 5100 has the better processor, but lacks the graphics chip of the 8500. I also noticed that the 5100 is only upgradable to 1GB RAM, while the 8500 is upgradable to 2GB of RAM. This is useful information if you need more RAM in the future. The 8500 also comes with a bigger and better LCD screen than the 5100. If you need the computing power of the P4 for workplace applications, I would go with the 5100. However, if your planning to do a bit more gaming, watch DVD's, or plan to run graphic intensive programs such as photo/video editing I would get the 8500. Either one is a good choice and also depends on how much willing to spend. The 8500 will run you a bit more than the 5100. That difference in price can mean more RAM upgrades in the future. The Pentium 4-M will also run cooler and at times use less power (longer battery life) than the Pentium 4 in the 5100. The choice is yours, but I've pointed out some of the differences between the two. I personally would get the 8500 for the graphics chip, because any Pentium 4 is already really fast. The FSB between a 400MHz and 533MHz shouldn't provide that much of a difference.

That's my 2 cents.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby bto on Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:02 pm

Excellent insight, Buddha. Thanks.

Yeah, all the comments you made are what I was thinking....the last week I have been comparing the Pentium 4 (desktop version) and the -M version....not much of a difference. But I think I will have to wait until the -M hits 2.5.....since this system is long-term.

Plus, also the widescreen (and higher quality) seems really cool. RAM is not a big concern, I'm not planning on running CAD application anytime soon, so 1GB limit is just fine.

As I said it is not a gaming machines, but still a powerfull video card is useful...and I'm quite fond with the 32MB radeon 9000 offered in the 8500, as opposed to the 7500 in the 5100.

Another good point towards the 8500 is the favorable reviews I've read so far.

I think I will go for the 8500, but I will wait a little bit.

PS, nice avatar change the last couple of days (M3 and SLK).
-bto
_______
bto
CD-RW Thug

Postby BuddhaTB on Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:14 pm

bto wrote:PS, nice avatar change the last couple of days (M3 and SLK).

Thanks. :D The avatar of the M3 wasn't that great of a pic, so I got rid of it. I don't remember using a SLK avatar. It was the rear end of a CL.
The car in my avatar now is Mercedes' CL 65 AMG. My new favorite of car from Mercedes. It's powered by a AMG tuned twin-turbo 5.98L V12 putting out 612HP with 737.6 ft lbs of torque @ 2000 rpm. This makes the CL 65 AMG the most powerful AMG model to date, promising acceleration to 62 mph in only 4.5 seconds.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby bto on Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:17 pm

whoops...er..yeah, the CL. Man. I got to re-memorize MB's lineup again.

Thought you would like this:

Found here: http://216.123.72.168/maxbimmer/germany/index.htm
-bto
_______
bto
CD-RW Thug

Postby bto on Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:20 pm

Hey Buddha, one more question (or nag.. :wink: ): Have you heard anything on how good (or bad) are GamePC's computers?.

I'm asking because of this: http://www.gamepc.com/shop/systemfamily.asp?family=gpn It has the processor I want and the video card I want at a reasonable price, plus a 60GB hard drive and combo drive (which might not be as good as Dell's drive, but I'm not going to burn like crazy or watch many movies).
-bto
_______
bto
CD-RW Thug

Postby BuddhaTB on Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:37 pm

bto wrote:Hey Buddha, one more question (or nag.. :wink: ): Have you heard anything on how good (or bad) are GamePC's computers?.

I think I've seen a few ads of theirs in either PC World magazine or PC Gamer. Other than that, I haven't heard much about them. I went and checked out their reseller rating and it wasn't bad at all. Their prices seem okay I think, I haven't really paid attention to laptop prices ever since I built my desktop system. If you do plan on purchasing from them, I would make sure they have good customer service and warranty just in case anything happens. I would just wait and see what Dell puts out the next few months. They may have the processor and video chip that you are looking for. By also waiting, prices at GamePC will surely go down too.
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1869.html

Anyways, nice modified SL 55. I'm not really feeling the banana color, but other than that, loving the car. I was wondering whatever happened to Mercedes using F1 inspired multi-spoke wheels on the SL 55, or was that just for Europe?
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby bto on Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:42 pm

BuddhaTB wrote:Anyways, nice modified SL 55. I'm not really feeling the banana color, but other than that, loving the car. I was wondering whatever happened to Mercedes using F1 inspired multi-spoke wheels on the SL 55, or was that just for Europe?

I think Europe only, you know, we not only get screwed sometimes (well, most of the times) Honda, Nissan not putting out the cool products here in the US....it's also the german companies. :-?
-bto
_______
bto
CD-RW Thug

Postby Turkeyscore.com on Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:56 pm

Check out these laptops www.sagernotebook.com

Pretty much the same thing as Alienware but cheaper and more selection. Radeon 9000 in some of them. Some have TV tuners.
Turkeyscore.com
CD-RW Player

Return to General Hardware Discussion