Home News Reviews Forums Shop

CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question

Burn baby burn!

CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question

Postby SuperG on Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:43 am

Hi all,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but which Factory of CDR makers is the best? I have some stuff stored,

that I would really like to keep for a long time. I am not one of those people who throw their CDs around. All of my

important CDR's are in cases or sleeves. But I have heard of certain manufacturers whose CDRs loose their chemical formula,

etc., and the CDR becomes partially/fully unreadable. Now, the one factory that I know is suppose to be very good is Taiyo

Yuden Company Limited. But after that, I am a little confused. A while back, I ran into a site dedicated to CD Media,

which is http://www.cdmediaworld.com and they actually did a CDR quality test, which is here

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cd ... lity.shtml

Now it looks as though this test is a little out of date, but Taiyo Yuden is considered good by them as well. But, the

confusion for me begins at Ritek. Basically, on this site, ALL of Ritek's CDRs were considered VERY BAD, and they all

failed the aging test. However, reading on some other places/forums, I have seen people say that Ritek along with Taiyo

Yuden are the BEST. This is very confusing to see one where it says WORST and the other say BEST. If anyone can clear this

up, I would appreciate it.

Also, if anyone could look thru the following list, and rate what they think of these Manufacturers, it would help me

greatly.

1) Taiyo Yuden (I have heard VERY GOOD)
2) Kodak (I have heard VERY GOOD, but they have stopped producing)
3) Ricoh (I have heard VERY GOOD)
4) CMC Magnetics (I have heard BAD, OK, and GOOD)
5) TDK (I have heard OK - GOOD)
6) Mitsubishi (I have heard OK)
7) Ritek (I have heard VERY BAD and VERY GOOD)???
8) Fornet (I have heard VERY BAD)
9) Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals (I have heard VERY GOOD)
10) Princo (I have heard BAD)
11) FUJI Photo Film (I have heard OK)
12) Hitachi Maxell, Ltd. (I have heard OK)
13) Prodisc (I have heard BAD)
14) Multi Media Masters & Machinery SA (I have heard VERY BAD)
15) Seantram Technology (I have heard VERY BAD)
16) Gigastorage Corp. (I have heard VERY BAD)

I know this is a lot of companies, but I wanted to be very thorough. I have run accross EVERY single one of these companies

at one point or another. And I want to know what everyone thinks of them, so that I can transfer some important information

from one of these BAD manufacturers to a GOOD one. Thank You.

SuperG
SuperG
Buffer Underrun

Re: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question

Postby Spazmogen on Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:22 am

SuperG wrote:1) Taiyo Yuden (I have heard VERY GOOD)
2) Kodak (I have heard VERY GOOD, but they have stopped producing)
3) Ricoh (I have heard VERY GOOD)
4) CMC Magnetics (I have heard BAD, OK, and GOOD)
5) TDK (I have heard OK - GOOD)
6) Mitsubishi (I have heard OK)
7) Ritek (I have heard VERY BAD and VERY GOOD)???
8) Fornet (I have heard VERY BAD)
9) Mitsui Toatsu Chemicals (I have heard VERY GOOD)
10) Princo (I have heard BAD)
11) FUJI Photo Film (I have heard OK)
12) Hitachi Maxell, Ltd. (I have heard OK)
13) Prodisc (I have heard BAD)
14) Multi Media Masters & Machinery SA (I have heard VERY BAD)
15) Seantram Technology (I have heard VERY BAD)
16) Gigastorage Corp. (I have heard VERY BAD)

SuperG

I've edited the quote to save space.

That's a very thoughtful 1st post. I'm impressed.
If you haven'y yet seen TheWizard's media thread, you'll want to check it out. http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6005

You are correct. Taiyo Yuden (TY) seem to be the best all around disc. They are frequently found sold as Fuji branded discs in North America. Fuji has its own plant in Europe now. If in doubt, look for "Made in Japan" on the package.
The fewer and shorter the spikes the better. That's a 48x Fuji, burned @ 48x.

Mitsubishi (aka Verbatim branded) are also very good. Look for the "Made in Mexico" on the label. I've heard this is the same plant that Kodak used up to last year.
48x Verbatim, burned @ 48x. Note the increase of the spikes, compared to the Fuji discs.

Kodak were very good, but they stopped making discs over a year ago. If you look around, you can still find them for sale, but usually at a high price.

CMC's latest batch seem to be damn good, but quality control has been shoddy in the past few years.

Avoid the silver/Generic discs for long term storage.
e6400 Core 2 Duo @ 2.13ghz
GeForce 7600GT 256mb PCI-e
2gb DDR2 667mhz Patriot ram 1.8v in d/c
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 F10 BIOS
WD Caviar SE16 250GB SATA300 7200RPM 16MB Buffer
Samsung SATA2 80gb 7200rpm
Samsung SH-S182D 18x DVD burner
Spazmogen
CD-RW Player

Postby SuperG on Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:54 pm

Spazmogen,

Thank You very much for your input. I was just wondering, if you could tell me what program you use for those C1 & C2 errors, that you posted. Also, I have Nero CD Speed, and I know that program has CD Quality Check and ScanDisc, which scans the surface. However, what I don't know is, what is considered good and bad? I have run scandisc on one of my CDRs, with a file test and a surface scan. OK first note, that the CDR is only 140MB in size used. The file test reveals 0 Errors. Now it goes onto the surface scan part. I get 95.90% Good, 0% Damaged, and 4.10% Unreadable. Now is this still good since I have no errors in files, or is this not so good? Thanks.

SuperG
SuperG
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:10 pm

Spazmogen is using CD Doctor. If you have a LiteOn, you can use it also. Read about it and download it here:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 5549#45549

Regarding your CD Speed scan disc tests, is it just the last block that is red? If so, then you probably just didn't finalize the disc and there is nothing wrong with the disc. Consider this to be a testing artifact. If you burn a disc and finalize it, the red block at the end should go away.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Re: CDR Media Factory (Manufacturer) Question

Postby Harrier on Mon Mar 17, 2003 5:23 pm

Spazmogen wrote:
CMC's latest batch seem to be damn good, but quality control has been shoddy in the past few years.

Avoid the silver/Generic discs for long term storage.

We don't know yet how they behave.. long term wise
Harrier
CD-RW Player

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives