Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Firewall and Kazaa

Anything else

Firewall and Kazaa

Postby ManWithaPlan on Mon Mar 17, 2003 6:19 pm

I read that certain firewalls like ZoneAlarm take up a lot of bandwidth and reduce download speeds in kazaa.

Is this true because i've just got broadband and was trying to work out what firewall will suit me and i thought of getting zonealarm but these comments about slowing down kazaa has made me wonder whether this is a good one.

Also BlackIce got mentioned as only being an intruder detecter rather than a blocker is this also true.

I would be grateful on any help for an easy to use firewall that does a good job but not slow down kazaa please.
ManWithaPlan
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:32 pm

I never used ZoneAlarm on a high-speed connection, but was happy with it on my Windows 98 box with dial-up connectivity. On my box connected to cable modem, I use Kerio Personal Firewall:

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

It is harder to set up than ZoneAlarm, and thus might not meet your needs for easy to configure.

Black Ice used to have problems in that it didn't actually hide ports, thus getting its reputation as just an intruder alert and not a firewall. But I think they straightened that out a long time ago. Both ZoneAlarm and Kerio are free for personal use. I don't think Black Ice has a free version.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby banzibaby on Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:30 pm

:D

I use zonealarm pro & have no probs with kazzalite

But U gotta give it acess as a server 2

BaNzI:)
banzibaby
CD-RW Thug

Firewall

Postby average_joe83 on Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:57 am

I found that when I use Kazza Lite with a Zone alarm firewall my bandwithd does shrink, I would suggest using Norton Personal Firewall, its worked the best for me
average_joe83
Buffer Underrun

Postby banzibaby on Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:45 am

thats wierd cause when i tried Nortons fiewall kazaa seemed very sluggish

U might want 2 check Ur zonealarms settings

banzibaby
CD-RW Thug

Postby ManWithaPlan on Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:43 pm

I've now got the choice between Zonealarm and Norton but wondered what you meant by giving access as a server do you just mean tick 'yes' in the program pop-up box?

One of you says Norton slows down kazaa and the other ZA does, i'm not sure now which is better as they both seem ok
ManWithaPlan
Buffer Underrun

Postby banzibaby on Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:24 pm

Hi

U need 2 give kazaa server access if ur gonna share ur files.Yep tick yes, if not u might not be able 2 get files as ur not sharing.When i used nortons firewall 4 2 weeks i had probs with pages not displayin right & javascript probs.I double checked all the options but could'nt find the prob

Welcome 2 broadband by the way, what speed r on.Im on 512k & have no probs with kazaa or with bandwith.My usual d\l speed is 60.0k a sec

But int the end it's up 2 U & what one U prefer.I just like Zonealarm pro

banzibaby
CD-RW Thug

Postby ManWithaPlan on Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:27 pm

banzibaby wrote:Hi

U need 2 give kazaa server access if ur gonna share ur files.Yep tick yes, if not u might not be able 2 get files as ur not sharing.When i used nortons firewall 4 2 weeks i had probs with pages not displayin right & javascript probs.I double checked all the options but could'nt find the prob

Welcome 2 broadband by the way, what speed r on.Im on 512k & have no probs with kazaa or with bandwith.My usual d\l speed is 60.0k a sec

But int the end it's up 2 U & what one U prefer.I just like Zonealarm pro

I think i'll try each one out for a week or so and see if i notice any difference.

My download speed is 576k and my upload is 288k.

Just downloading 1 file on kazaa usually averages at around 50-55k but i've had it up to 80k.

I downloaded 35 files at a time for a test and although some of them were around 9-10k i still had some over 30 :D

ALSO is there a way of knowing whether kazaa is faster with or without the firewall without unistalling the firewall and testing kazaa
ManWithaPlan
Buffer Underrun

Postby banzibaby on Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:51 pm

Yep that proberly the best thing 2 do.In the end it all down 2 personal preferance.The highest i had on kazaa was 124Kb \sec but it only managed it 4 3 mins :D

[/quote]
ALSO is there a way of knowing whether kazaa is faster with or without the firewall without unistalling the firewall and testing kazaa

Dont know about that 1.It better 2 have firewall running all the time on broadband.As far as i know Idont think zonealarm uses much if any bandwith as it just listens 2 all ur ports & only takes action if it has 2 block incomin packets & such.But dont quote me on that.But if U usin kazaa u need a good firewall & Antivirus software as a lot of the exe files(not all)are riddled with viruses.ZAPro has saved my ass a few times

But some 1 can proberly help U out more than me.I dont know that much about firewalls.A good place 2 ask is www.cdrbase.com, but U will have 2 register 2 use the forum.They have quite a lot of posts about firewalls

Hope no1 minds me postin that site, but i just tryin 2 help ManWithaPlan out

Hope the info helps M8

Ps this is a great forum bye the way & long may it continue
banzibaby
CD-RW Thug

Return to General Software Questions