Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Problem burning Audio Cd in DMA Mode with CGE-8481B

Burn baby burn!

Problem burning Audio Cd in DMA Mode with CGE-8481B

Postby GuJack20 on Thu Mar 20, 2003 4:04 am

Hi.

I have a LG 8481B. i have flashed it and then updated the firmware of 8520B and everything was going fine. Yesterday i changed the motherboard of my PC and formated and reinstalled WindowsXP. Now i have my writer configured in DMA Mode (multi Word DMA-2) and when i try to burn Audio CD the led comences flashing and then remains off inactive until the end of burning and then flashes again just to finish the cd. These CD (burned in this way) are defective, if u look at them they seem as if i have burned them with multisesion and different speeds :(. They all Skip and sometimes are unreadeable :( In PIO mode averything is ok (The led flashes all the time) but the speed seems slower....
Does anyone know a solution?
Please
GuJack20
Buffer Underrun

Postby GuJack20 on Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:00 am

For some moments i thought it may be a ASPI problem and i installed the latest but :( no way. The Problem remains the same :(
GuJack20
Buffer Underrun

Postby GuJack20 on Thu Mar 20, 2003 9:22 am

Sorry to replying to myself but it seems i can't edit my posts.

I have installed the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers but my cds are burned the same way :(

GuJack20
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:09 am

I don't really have any good ideas for you. From everything you describe it sounds like you are having issues with your new IDE controller and its interaction with your drive, particularly with DMA mode. The problems show up in DMA mode, but not PIO, and you only have Multi-Word DMA 2 enabled even though the drive can support Ultra DMA 2.

First make sure your IDE ribbon cable is properly seated at both ends and that you have the master/slave jumper setting configured correctly. Then go through all of the steps in the DMA problems FAQ:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6645

Check the BIOS settings for the drive's transfer mode. Usually "Auto Detect" works best.

Try putting the drive on as master on its own channel (presumably secondary master) if it is not already on its own.

Make sure all patches for your OS are installed. Consider upgrading the BIOS of your mother board if a newer version is available.

Try the drive in another system to make sure that the problem really is with the new motherboard and system, and not just bad luck with the burner that happened to coincide with installation in the new system.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby GuJack20 on Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:47 pm

Thanks Cfitz for the reply.
I tried all modes but it didn't work.
At last i bought another motherboard like the old one i had and reinstalled all the system.

It now works OK :)
GuJack20
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:50 pm

Sorry I couldn't help. For future reference (in case other people run into the same problem), can you tell us what motherboard you were using that didn't work?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby GuJack20 on Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:35 pm

I was using a 866AS ULTRA motherboard, updated the bios with A08 Version. It was a fast, reliable motherboard. I liked it so much, so sorry that didn't work with my LG-8481B

Now i'm back ate a K7S5A Motherboard from ECS.
GuJack20
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sat Mar 22, 2003 4:53 pm

Too late, but it looks like the latest BIOS version is A11:

http://www.jetway.com.tw/evisn/download ... .htm#kt266

The update description reads, in part, "Add ide dma function". I wonder if it would have helped? Sorry to post after the fact. :(

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives