Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Nero won't launch but Nero Express does.. HUH?

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Nero won't launch but Nero Express does.. HUH?

Postby MonteLDS on Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:12 pm

i can open Nero express no problem and it works. but i can't open old skool style nero.

are their any plus to using Nero Express vs Nero?

if i try to open Nero my computer shuts down and restarts (w/o warning)
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Re: Nero won't launch but Nero Express does.. HUH?

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:31 pm

MonteLDS wrote:i can open Nero express no problem and it works. but i can't open old skool style nero.

if i try to open Nero my computer shuts down and restarts (w/o warning)

Ouch! :( First, this wouldn't happen to be a new installation of Nero that came with a drive and only supports Nero Express, would it? Even if it was, it shouldn't cause the computer to shut down, but I have to ask the question.

Second, what version of Nero are you running? Have you recently upgraded? If so, why? If not, why not? :) (Meaning you might want to try upgrading or downgrading depending on your situation)

Third, what other burning software do you now have or once had installed?

MonteLDS wrote:are their any plus to using Nero Express vs Nero?

Yeah, it doesn't restart your computer without warning. :wink: Seriously, Nero Express is a simplified interface to Nero, and I think it isn't half bad, unlike the old Nero Wizard which I really didn't like. You don't have quite the flexibility as with the traditional Nero interface, but it is easy to use and can do most of the normal burning tasks one would want to do.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Wedge Maniac on Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:31 pm

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the short answer is No.
Nero Burning Rom does allow for more control of settings, but so far I haven't had a "need" for it over Nero Express. Actually, I have spotted something in Nero Express that I cannot seem to find in Nero Burning Rom -- Data Verification after the burn. If somebody could show me how to enable this in Nero Burning Rom I would appreciate it.

As for your original problem, I have to ask if this is a bundled version of Nero Express that came with your drive? From my understanding, the bundled versions are sometimes limited. Not sure if this is the problem or not but need more info.
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 24, 2003 4:36 pm

Wedge Maniac wrote:Actually, I have spotted something in Nero Express that I cannot seem to find in Nero Burning Rom -- Data Verification after the burn. If somebody could show me how to enable this in Nero Burning Rom I would appreciate it.

There is a check-box for enabling verification. It is located at the bottom of the dialog that displays while the actual burn is in progress.

I do agree that some things are easier to find in Nero Express than in the traditional Nero.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MonteLDS on Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:01 pm

cfitz wrote:Ouch! :( First, this wouldn't happen to be a new installation of Nero that came with a drive and only supports Nero Express, would it? Even if it was, it shouldn't cause the computer to shut down, but I have to ask the question.

Second, what version of Nero are you running? Have you recently upgraded? If so, why? If not, why not? :) (Meaning you might want to try upgrading or downgrading depending on your situation)

Third, what other burning software do you now have or once had installed?

Yeah, it doesn't restart your computer without warning. :wink: Seriously, Nero Express is a simplified interface to Nero, and I think it isn't half bad, unlike the old Nero Wizard which I really didn't like. You don't have quite the flexibility as with the traditional Nero interface, but it is easy to use and can do most of the normal burning tasks one would want to do.

cfitz

to answer these question I have been using Nero Downloaded from the web. I am using it with my Sony DRU-500A. i Have up and downgraded nero threw out all of 5.5 till i about threw up.

Now when i try to open the old school nero it opens Nero Express only (kind of weird). The other funny thing is that i was using Nero rather then Nero Express perfectly fine till i got the new motherboard and cpu and ram (i had asus board w/ gig of RDRAM 800 with 1.7ghz 400 bus see signture for current machien).

So i formated about 10 times and reinstall XP pro (ps on install GM.dl_ would not load, but on my last install it loaded fine)

I have not used any other burning software with it. i was about to go Roxio but i didn't cause I couldn't find a trial version ne where. I would try DVD burning but i have nothing that needs to be auth. or any RW that i can toast at the moment. anyways. I will let u know if NE crashes on me :)
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby dodecahedron on Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:09 pm

update the motherboard's BIOS?
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the land of Mordor, where the Shadows lie
-- JRRT
M.C. Escher - Reptilien
dodecahedron
DVD Polygon

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:10 pm

MonteLDS wrote:Now when i try to open the old school nero it opens Nero Express only (kind of weird).

Maybe I should ask this way: what is the source of the serial number you are using after you reinstalled on the new machine? Even though the Nero you download from the web is a full copy, it will still only run the Nero Express interface if you give it a serial number from a bundled version of Nero that is only licensed for the Express interface.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MonteLDS on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:38 pm

i have a full version SN for it... holy cow i just chaged the key and it open old school nero. WOO HOO thanks for the idea! but oddly enough after i closed the software it said Nero crashed.. and then i was able to re open Nero.. i better do some test burns :)
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:48 pm

What happens when you start Nero Express, and then switch to the regular version of Nero from within Nero Express? Is that when it crashes?

It looks like the only optical drive you have in your system is the Sony DRU-500. Is that correct? If so, then I assume that the Sony is the recorder you have selected in Nero. Try selecting the Image Recorder as the recorder within Nero Express, closing Nero Express, and then starting the traditional interface to Nero. Does that change anything?

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby cfitz on Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:50 pm

Oops. I see you edited your last post while I was replying. I guess my last comments don't apply, but you can still try them if you have more troubles.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby MonteLDS on Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:33 pm

i am testing nero right now.. it is burning at 4x again... weird. cause it said it burn @ 24x.
MonteLDS
CD-RW Player

Postby CCampbell on Wed Mar 26, 2003 3:30 pm

Hello Everyone,

I've just read this whole history of issues that MonteLDS has been runnining into, and to say the least its very unusual and eratic.

And it seems you have taken all the normal steps to resolve this issue.

Can you think of anything unique about your system hardware and software wise?

And can you take your Recorder and Nero to another system, just as a test, and see if you have the same symptoms there?

And it appears that it's still not clear if you have an OEM bundle or Retail version of Nero. Did you purchase Nero seperately, or did it come with a Recorder? As mentioned, if it came with a Recorder, you should only be able to use Nero Express. But clicking on the Nero button in the bottom left of the window should not cause your system to reboot, only bring up a window with a link to our Nero website and information on how to upgrade to our Nero Burning Rom interface.

Regards,

Craig
CCampbell
CD-RW Player

Postby Wedge Maniac on Wed Mar 26, 2003 4:06 pm

MonteLDS wrote:i am testing nero right now.. it is burning at 4x again... weird. cause it said it burn @ 24x.

MenteLDS, by any chance do you have Intel Application Accelerator installed?
Wedge Maniac
CD-RW Player

Postby JENI on Sun May 04, 2003 8:47 pm

I had the same problem when I upgraded to Nero 5.5.10.28. I opened and clasic Nero opened asking me for the key, I put in the key and nero stayed in the classic way, when I closed Nero and tried to open again, it opened only in nero express. I uninstalled and installed again many times and the same thing happened and not only with this version, but with others. I particulary don`t like express I like the classic nero.
I installed for the las time nero classic came on, put in the key and nero stayed classic mode, but the only different thing that I did was to click the button that changes to express and a dialogue came on telling me that I could change back classic or to express at any time, pressed changed to express and then pressed nero button and it came back to classic style. By doing this Nero stayed in calssic style even when I closed Nero.
Now I can go back when ever I want to to classic and express. It works just fine.
JENI
Buffer Underrun

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)