Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Can't start Nero 5.5.10.15a after installing Roxio 6

Nero Burning ROM, Nero Express, NeroVision Express, Recode, InCD, etc..

Can't start Nero 5.5.10.15a after installing Roxio 6

Postby rmanaka on Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:07 pm

I've been using a full version of Nero 5.5.10.15a for a while now (Windows XP Home). It was working fine with my HP dvd200j and my TDK CDRW-401240B CD burner. It also coexisted with Dazzle DVD creator deluxe, all of the Ulead software (studio 6, studio 7), all of the pinnacle software, and all of the HP/Sonic software.

I just installed a copy of Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6, and now I can't load nero. Each time I try, I get the message: "Another application is currently using the Windows burning engine (IMAPI). Please quit the other application and start Nero again." :cry:

I've tried disabling all of the start-up modules using msconfig, and that doesn't seem to help.

Neither does reinstalling/updating Nero. NOTE: I did NOT do an uninstall of NERO before reinstalling.

Any suggestions?
Randy
rmanaka
Buffer Underrun

Postby burninfool on Tue Mar 25, 2003 8:44 pm

Nero is very jealous of other burn software,check here for a fix:http://www.ahead.de/en/index.html#c1023694368810
burninfool
CD-RW Player

Postby tazdevl on Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:23 pm

Get's along OK with NTI, Clone CD, Blindwrite.

Easy CD is another story.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby eliminator on Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:55 am

Roxio still sucks ! :roll:
Wake up ATI :-)
eliminator
CD-RW Player

Postby Inertia on Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:52 am

This is the first instance of this problem that I have seen. EZCD 5 and Nero coexist OK in all operating systems.

Based on your error message I would form the following hypothesis:

1. Windows XP has a built-in burning engine supplied by Roxio.

2. When Roxio EZCD 6 was installed, it may take over the built-in function and become the default Windows burning engine.

3. If this is what is happening, it would be worth a try to disable the built in WinXP burning engine to see if that will allow Nero to load normally. Even with the built-in burning disabled, the main Roxio software module should still operate normally.

To disable the native WinXP burning engine, go to My Computer and select the burner drive. Open the drive properties to the Recording tab and uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive" and reboot.

Let us know if this works. :)

Also, you should definitely uninstall Nero before reinstalling it. This alone may solve the problem. :wink:

After writing the original reply above, I loaded Roxio EZCD & DVD Creator 6 in WinXP Pro where a copy of Nero 5.5.9.17 was already installed. I didn't disable the built-in burning engine, but both EZCD and Nero start and work properly with no problems.

It seems that there is not a simple conflict with EZCD 6 and Nero used with WinXP, and your problem is probably an isolated one. Try uninstalling and reinstalling Nero and see if that fixes the problem.
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Uninstalled and reinstalled Ahead Nero

Postby rmanaka on Wed Mar 26, 2003 9:54 am

Thanks to all for your replies! Here are the results.

Fully uninstalling and then reinstalling NERO did not fix the issue, unfortunately :( ...thanks inertia

Loading NeroBurnrights and running the Nero registry checker did not fix the issue. :( Good link, however...thanks burninfool!

Looking at the drive burn properties in My Computer showed that neither the TDK nor the HP DVD were checked! :-? ...thank you again inertia.

Thus far, nothing seemed to help, but inertia's message gave me some insight into looking at the native XP burning engine (as the Nero error message should have...duhh) :oops: .

First shot was turning off all Windows services using msconfig. (all startups were also turned off)

Nero starts up normally! :D Turn on the services; Nero fails. :evil:

Looked at the individual services and saw that IMAPI was checked...unchecked, rebooted and Nero started normally. :P ! Rechecked, rebooted and Nero failed.

Looked at each of the individual services using the administrative utility and found that the Microsoft IMAPI service, though stopped and set to start manually, had been enabled, most likely due to the Roxio installation. DISABLED the IMAPI service, rebooted and lo and behold, Nero works! :D

I could only get Nero to start if I fully disabled the IMAPI service...stopping it or setting to manual start would prevent Nero from running.

My conclusion is that the Roxio installation checked to see if the IMAPI service was running and even if not, set the service to manually start (but left it enabled). Nero checks to see if the service is enabled (rather than running) and if so, gives its error message.

Long process, but now it seems as if Nero and Roxio will somewhat peacefully coexist. I generally don't use UDF type packet writing, so I've disabled the Roxio drag-to-disk facilities by turning off the following start-ups (using msconfig though I could delete the registry keys).

DrgToDsc.exe
RxMon.exe

I've also turned off the following HP start-ups so that I don't get their notifications when I insert a CD or DVD:

HPcdTray.exe
DVDbitSet.exe

If anybody sees any issues with tuning off these start-up items, please let me know. Thanks again to all!
Randy
rmanaka
Buffer Underrun

Postby tazdevl on Wed Mar 26, 2003 12:54 pm

If you want to disable the XP burning engine... go to run, type gpedit.msc.

User config, Admin Templates, Windows Explorer, Remove CD Burning Features and enable it.
RIG:
P4 2.6C, Thermalright SP94/Panaflo 92MM M1A, IC7 Max3, Swifty MCX159, 1GB Geil PC4000 Ultra Plat, Radeon 8500, Audigy 2, 2X WD Raptor RAID 0, WD 250GB SE, Plex 708A, 166SDVD, LianLi PC75, XP Pro.
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby rmanaka on Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:02 pm

tazdevl wrote:If you want to disable the XP burning engine... go to run, type gpedit.msc.

User config, Admin Templates, Windows Explorer, Remove CD Burning Features and enable it.

I must be missing something. When I do this I get "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

Doing a search on my C drive for "gpedit*" does not find anything. :o

I should reiterate that I am running XP Home on this computer...if I'm not mistaken, gpedit.msc is the Group Policy Editor for Windows XP Pro? I don't think XP Home runs policies...
:cry:
Randy
rmanaka
Buffer Underrun

Postby Inertia on Thu Mar 27, 2003 12:05 am

rmanaka, you're welcome, and congratulations on your follow-through on this problem. :)

You are correct. You have already fixed the problem by disabling the IMAPI services in the administrative utility. There is nothing more that needs to be done. :wink:
Inertia
CD-RW Player

Re: Can't start Nero 5.5.10.15a after installing Roxio 6

Postby rmunde on Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:04 pm

Check in Control Panel/Admin Tools/Computer Management, et.c and ensure that IMAPI CD burning is disabled. When I upgraded Roxio 6 it seemed to turn the IMPAPI burning services to manual from disabled and Nero hates that. I have both Nero and Roxio 6 (and v.5 before that) and lots of other CDR apps under XP Pro and everybody gets along.

rmanaka wrote:I've been using a full version of Nero 5.5.10.15a for a while now (Windows XP Home). It was working fine with my HP dvd200j and my TDK CDRW-401240B CD burner. It also coexisted with Dazzle DVD creator deluxe, all of the Ulead software (studio 6, studio 7), all of the pinnacle software, and all of the HP/Sonic software.

I just installed a copy of Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator 6, and now I can't load nero. Each time I try, I get the message: "Another application is currently using the Windows burning engine (IMAPI). Please quit the other application and start Nero again." :cry:

I've tried disabling all of the start-up modules using msconfig, and that doesn't seem to help.

Neither does reinstalling/updating Nero. NOTE: I did NOT do an uninstall of NERO before reinstalling.

Any suggestions?
Abit IC-7 MAX 3 mb, P4 3 GHz (800 FSB), 2 GB RAM, 200+ GB hard drive space, 550 watt Antec Truepower PS, ATI Radeon 8500 AIW, Audigy 2 Platinum Pro ZS, Adaptec 2940UW, Sony DRU500A, Plex Premium, Toshiba SD-M1612-S, Plex PX-40TS, Win XP Pro.
rmunde
Buffer Underrun

Postby tazdevl on Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:53 pm

rmanaka wrote:
tazdevl wrote:If you want to disable the XP burning engine... go to run, type gpedit.msc.

I must be missing something. When I do this I get "Windows cannot find 'gpedit.msc'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the Start button, and then click Search."

Doing a search on my C drive for "gpedit*" does not find anything. :o

I should reiterate that I am running XP Home on this computer...if I'm not mistaken, gpedit.msc is the Group Policy Editor for Windows XP Pro? I don't think XP Home runs policies...
:cry:

XP Pro runs policies at the local level, sounds like you have XP home, so you're SOL. I don't think you can access the computer management console either with XP Home (could be wrong, only messed with it a bit).

*Edit sorry didn't see until a minute ago you had home.
RIG:
tazdevl
CD-RW Player

Postby cfitz on Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:32 pm

As noted above, rmanaka already got Nero working again by disabling the IMAPI service. As far as I can see, at this point he doesn't need to mess with anything else. Trust in Inertia! 8)

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Postby Wiseguy on Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:09 pm

How about Win98? Do they co exist well? If no how do you turn off the IMAPI service?

I am running nero 5.5 and EZCD 5 Plat with no problems.

But I was thinking of upgrading to 6.
Wiseguy
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 06, 2003 6:14 pm

98 doesn't have the built-in burning service, so I don't think there will be any problem.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to Nero (Formerly Ahead Software)