Home News Reviews Forums Shop

Why must cd-rw ide cable placed in secondary master position

Burn baby burn!

Why must cd-rw ide cable placed in secondary master position

Postby Loop on Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:27 pm

THe firmware update regarding LG GCE-8520B mentions that the drive must be in the secondary IDE master position, but I dont know why. I am too lazy to unplug my ide cable for my dvd rom to the cd-rw, but im afraid what will happen if i dont.

Just wondering, what is the meaning of switching the cd-rw to the secondary position suppose to do?
Loop
Buffer Underrun

Postby MikeTR on Sat Apr 05, 2003 3:34 pm

Depending on the type of program used to update the firmware, it needs to know where the drive is you want to flash. Some programs are smart and find out for themselves. Others don't. At least, thats what I always thought.

Running the drive as master supposedly gives better performance as well.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
MikeTR
CD-RW Player

Postby Loop on Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:47 am

Does anyone who has installed the new firmare for the GCE know that I must have the cd-rw in secondary ide position? And can the cd-rw also be master on first position shared with dvd rom?
Loop
Buffer Underrun

Postby BuddhaTB on Sun Apr 06, 2003 1:17 am

Loop wrote:Does anyone who has installed the new firmare for the GCE know that I must have the cd-rw in secondary ide position? And can the cd-rw also be master on first position shared with dvd rom?

There's no difference if the cd-rw drive is th master or slave drive. Some configurations require the dvd-rom to be the master, or else your dvd-rom and cd-rw drive won't function together. Either way is fine. If the instructions say to put the cd-rw drive as secondary master, I would follow it. But in reality, it doesn't really matter. There is no advantage of either one. However, if your planning to do a lot of cd to cd copying, I would place the dvd-rom as the slave drive on the same ide channel as your hard drive.
BuddhaTB
CD-RW Player

Postby Loop on Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:36 pm

Thanks, but when I opened up my case to put my dvd rom and hdd on the same ide cable, the cable wasnt long enough to do that...is this normal?
Loop
Buffer Underrun

Postby cfitz on Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:17 pm

Loop wrote:Thanks, but when I opened up my case to put my dvd rom and hdd on the same ide cable, the cable wasnt long enough to do that...is this normal?

Asked and answered:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 0523#60523

Please don't double-post.

cfitz
cfitz
CD-RW Curmudgeon

Return to CD-R/CD-RW Drives